Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I love to be able to move to a much cheaper city and be happy. I had a former colleague who moved to Edmonton because his wife is from there. He had a high income job + detached home in Kitsilano. He bought a huge home with McDavid-home like views. I had another colleague who was from Edmonton who moved back. He went from renter to home owner quickly.
Don’t see the allure of having a bigger home to be honest. We moved to a bigger home and we just feel like it just adds more shit to do. I would take a smaller place in a more interesting area but I live in the Seattle region and everything is just boring here.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Worse than Vancouver?

Vancouver's urban planning is beyond terrible. Public transport is sparse and unreliable. The infrastructure here is unable to keep up with the population and traffic congestion is worse than ever.

i moved away from vancouver at the end of the 90s and came back post-canada line. and when i moved back i was absolutely completely amazed. the buses run mostly on time now instead of whenever the f*** the driver feels like it, you can get to richmond city centre from most places in vancouver without spending an hour on a bus basically parked on oak (or was it granville? i forget), the buses are bigger and less packed now, and you’re rarely on a trolley car where inevitably a driver is having to stop the bus for fifteen minutes and block two lanes of traffic while clumsily getting the cables back up.

the only part that still sucks is getting to/from ubc.

so idk, public transpo feels like a godsend from my perspective. but that’s from a 90s kid who had to go mostly north-south on buses that were supposed to come in 20 minute intervals but usually had gaps more like 40.

Reactions: supercanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Don’t see the allure of having a bigger home to be honest. We moved to a bigger home and we just feel like it just adds more shit to do. I would take a smaller place in a more interesting area but I live in the Seattle region and everything is just boring here.

It's all relative and personal but the point is there is a choice. I had a friend who chose to have a bigger place in Seattle region and he cut his lawn Forrest Gump style. He enjoys the acreage.

• Haha
Reactions: arttk

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
i moved away from vancouver at the end of the 90s and came back post-canada line. and when i moved back i was absolutely completely amazed. the buses run mostly on time now instead of whenever the f*** the driver feels like it, you can get to richmond city centre from most places in vancouver without spending an hour on a bus basically parked on oak (or was it granville? i forget), the buses are bigger and less packed now, and you’re rarely on a trolley car where inevitably a driver is having to stop the bus for fifteen minutes and block two lanes of traffic while clumsily getting the cables back up.

the only part that still sucks is getting to/from ubc.

so idk, public transpo feels like a godsend from my perspective. but that’s from a 90s kid who had to go mostly north-south on buses that were supposed to come in 20 minute intervals but usually had gaps more like 40.

I remember waiting >50 minutes for the #22 only for 3 to show up all at the same time. That was 20 years ago. Hopefully it's better now.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's all relative and personal but the point is there is a choice. I had a friend who chose to have a bigger place in Seattle region and he cut his lawn Forrest Gump style. He enjoys the acreage.
Yeah it’s personal, I just find it more work. I mean my wife cares a lot about cleanliness so we end up cleaning the house weekly. The more square feet means more floor ti clean, more counters, more toilet lol we have like 3 robo vacuums but still

Reactions: F A N

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I remember waiting >50 minutes for the #22 only for 3 to show up all at the same time. That was 20 years ago. Hopefully it's better now.

totally that was 100% what would happen. i spent probably a third of my teenage years waiting at granville and robson for various southbound buses and always multiple of the same buses came at the same time after three didn’t come when they were supposed to.

i take public transpo to work every day and a bus has missed an entire 15 minute cycle less than five times.

Reactions: supercanuck

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Small house big shop is the objectively, undeniably correct way to live. Small house small shop is situationally acceptable.

• Love
Reactions: andora

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah it’s personal, I just find it more work. I mean my wife cares a lot about cleanliness so we end up cleaning the house weekly. The more square feet means more floor ti clean, more counters, more toilet lol we have like 3 robo vacuums but still

Oh for sure. Completely understand where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of cleaning and have gotten lazy over time so I'm not really keeping up. Ideally I have hired help that I can absolutely trust but we're not ones to do that even without considering the expense. And if I had a choice between having a bigger property but I have to Forest Gump mow the lawn or a smaller property and hire someone to mow the lawn, I would probably choose the latter. I suppose if I have the $$$ to simply hire people to take care of things and I'm ok with it then bigger is better.

Reactions: arttk

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Lived in Boston for years - nooo way on that one. Skytrain >>>>> the absolutely atrocious T/commuter rail in terms of commute time/price/wait times/convenience of stations/safety. And the bus system is an absolute joke compared to vancouver.

Helps that metro Vancouver is a circular layout with Vancouver relatively in the center while Boston proper is at the very east end with major suburbs mostly lined up one by one linearly to the west making for super inefficient commutes into the city
But mainly the infrastructure in Vancouver is just so much better than there

We need to build a train network with a circular loop around downtown like Sydney or Melbourne's train network. It's maximum efficiency

Reactions: bossram

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I love to be able to move to a much cheaper city and be happy. I had a former colleague who moved to Edmonton because his wife is from there. He had a high income job + detached home in Kitsilano. He bought a huge home with McDavid-home like views. I had another colleague who was from Edmonton who moved back. He went from renter to home owner quickly.
If I had a detached home in Kits to sell I'd just retire early lol

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not sure if this is OT still or not, but I'll say that I just tried to veg out with a pen and Spittin Chiclets and uh, couldn't do it.

I think now the reality is washed in. Man, this one stings me bad. Weird.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i'll concede boston but i just landed at yvr and it's 8 minutes to the next train to waterfront. transit in this city sucks
I thought this was a joke, but you were the one that legitimately thinks Vancouver has a poor (relative to NA) transit system.

Lol.

If you're talking rapid transit from airport to downtown, Skytrain/Canada Line is even better than what they have in Tokyo!

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
tokyo transit from the airport is only bad because the airports are so far from the places in tokyo you want to go (narita at least, haneda isn't so bad). same problem as chicago and san francisco (which *definitely* beat vancouver in quality of transit) -- their airports are just too far from the city

vancouver has very good transit to/from the airport if you are near a skytrain station but it's mostly because yvr is so close to the city core. i also don't think vancouver has terrible transit it's just not great for roughly 2/3rds of the metro population because they are nowhere near skytrain and the bus system here is legitimately not good

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We need to build a train network with a circular loop around downtown like Sydney or Melbourne's train network. It's maximum efficiency
Paris' Metro is built like this and it is stupendous. Circular lines around the core of Paris, and then line extensions going out to each arrondisement.

tokyo transit from the airport is only bad because the airports are so far from the places in tokyo you want to go (narita at least, haneda isn't so bad). same problem as chicago and san francisco (which *definitely* beat vancouver in quality of transit) -- their airports are just too far from the city

vancouver has very good transit to/from the airport if you are near a skytrain station but it's mostly because yvr is so close to the city core. i also don't think vancouver has terrible transit it's just not great for roughly 2/3rds of the metro population because they are nowhere near skytrain and the bus system here is legitimately not good
You were legitimately complaining about waiting eight minutes.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Can't believe there aren't public helicopters to deliver you to the rooftop of your destination. Public transit really is the worst here.
*Woman tragically killed after being struck by rotor blades from helicopter while waiting for transit. This is the 53rd incident involving public helicopters this year *

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
i would never speak lightly about transit matters
I did a little googling for the frequency of trains/rapid transit from major airports to the associated city:
Heathrow (London): 10 minutes (the Tube)
Narita (Tokyo): 30 minutes (express train)
Berlin: 20 minutes (S-Bahn)

Waiting up to 12 minutes to get the SkyTrain at YVR seems fine.

i was making a joke. sorry it didn't land
Thanks for the troll.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Paris' Metro is built like this and it is stupendous. Circular lines around the core of Paris, and then line extensions going out to each arrondisement.

You were legitimately complaining about waiting eight minutes.
This whole conversation ends when Europe unzips and drops its transit dick on the table. There's also very little pride/class differentiation attached to vehicle ownership there.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought this was a joke, but you were the one that legitimately thinks Vancouver has a poor (relative to NA) transit system.

Lol.

If you're talking rapid transit from airport to downtown, Skytrain/Canada Line is even better than what they have in Tokyo!

If you're traveling from Narita, then it takes a while because the airport isn't even in the same prefecture. Haneda is much closer and has more frequent trains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad