Around the League Thread | LUUUUUUU!!!!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Me too. Geekie will be very good in the NHL and I'm not even sure I'd have liked the trade if you take him out. Sergachev is great for stretches but is a complimentary player in general.
I disagree that he's a complimentary player, but the price is too high for a guy coming off major surgery. I think he's a 1B capable of anchoring a soso top pair.

My question now if Guentzel is leaving Carolina hanging, is whether we should trade for his rights and give him 8 with a lower aav, I feel Tampa is going all out to get him and Hankinson will use them to drive the aav higher knowing we have the space.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Me too. Geekie will be very good in the NHL and I'm not even sure I'd have liked the trade if you take him out. Sergachev is great for stretches but is a complimentary player in general.
agree. i have zero idea about whether geekie will make it or not (although he obviously has good production), but the gap between moser and sergachev is not that large, especially with sergachev's injury history and taking contracts into consideration.

i don't hate that a team in their position is gunning for premier talent to surround the young corps with, though. just not sure it's the right bet.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The fact that Utah doesn't even seem to be bothering to give itself a name is one more in a long line of basically uninterrupted events in the team's timeline where you think, "No other league would ever let this happen to their brand." The whole situation has slid so far from normalcy over the years that it's just another shrug from everyone.
That is not the case though from everything that I have seen. They will have a name but this relocation is fast and they wanted fan involvement etc. And he’ll in the end FC works in soccer so not sure why it can’t for hockey.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
it makes sense for marketing. you sell two sets of jerseys and generate buzz for season two with a name announcement.

someone else made this point; but what happens if they win the cup this year? utah hockey club and then a re-brand the following season?

no other sport would've allowed the coyotes situation to decline for so long, and then suddenly pulled the trigger on a half-baked idea.

Reactions: quat

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
someone else made this point; but what happens if they win the cup this year? utah hockey club and then a re-brand the following season?

no other sport would've allowed the coyotes situation to decline for so long, and then suddenly pulled the trigger on a half-baked idea.

if this happens they name themselves the utah champions and no one can say anything about it

• Love
Reactions: LandfiII

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Utah has been sitting on a treasure trove of picks and prospects for years. Arizona lost their hockey team partly due to these shenanigans but Utah is already reaping the benefits. They can acquire some fantastic players and have already started to drive up the prices in the market for everyone else since they have more capital (draft picks) to work with. With the cap going up and their owner wanting to spend money, they're going to make waves.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
i know utah wants to make a splash but i hate that sergachev trade for them
Utah is a team to watch in the Western Conference. They've got a flock of good, young forwards. And now Marino and Sergachev really cement the back end. They now just have to find a goaltender.

I actually like the look of their team more than a team like the L.A. Kings, who had a similar prospect pool a few years ago, but basically squandered it.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I said it yesterday, but Moser is likely the best piece of this deal once he signs a new deal that will be like half of Sergachevs
Honestly I think they let Moser go because they're trying to build a blueline of absolute trees, and he's about 6'1", 185. They did go out and get Marino who isn't a huge guy, but he's signed for 3 more years, which gives their D prospects some time to cook/come over from Russia.

Reactions: mossey3535

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Nice photo you got there...
1000005363.jpg

fabfccac-67ed-4aea-ae22-99bbb4365d4c_screenshot.jpg

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I know @Vector and I have mentioned Kovacevic multiple times. For the price paid, that is an absolute no brainer. Would have liked the Canucks to snake the Devils on him there.

He has some very intriguing micro-stats tracked by Corey Sznajder. Excellent zone entry defense, preventing possession entries with chances and a lot of outright zone denials. I have also harped on the importance of retrievals and clean zone exits, and that's another area he grades out well in.

At the bargain cap hit, it's a missed opportunity IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad