Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If this season goes completely off the rails in Edmonton, you have to wonder about the future of McDavid.

At this point in his career, it's all about 'winning a Cup'. And if he concludes it won't happen with the Oilers, will he re-sign there?

The Oil could be a lot closer to 'a rebuild' than a return to the Cup Finals.
I assume Draistal signed that extension only because McDavid promised he would too, otherwise, I don't see why Leon would commit 8 more years there. I think its pretty safe to think McDavid will stay, unless something catastrophic happens to their season.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I assume Draistal signed that extension only because McDavid promised he would too, otherwise, I don't see why Leon would commit 8 more years there. I think its pretty safe to think McDavid will stay, unless something catastrophic happens to their season.

That's my thought process too. Not to mention, McDavid is likely looking at 15-16M. Very few teams could afford that without decimating their roster. Which hey, it's something you seriously consider for McDavid but then he's right back where he started.

What Edmonton needs to do is pull off the important and get rid of Nurse. No idea how they pull that off though. Even with a treasure trove of incentives, 9.25M til 2030 that's basically complete buyout proof is just a disaster of a contract I doubt anywhere wants.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's my thought process too. Not to mention, McDavid is likely looking at 15-16M. Very few teams could afford that without decimating their roster. Which hey, it's something you seriously consider for McDavid but then he's right back where he started.

What Edmonton needs to do is pull off the important and get rid of Nurse. No idea how they pull that off though. Even with a treasure trove of incentives, 9.25M til 2030 that's basically complete buyout proof is just a disaster of a contract I doubt anywhere wants.
It's the sad reality of the NHL. No flexibility to maneuver a bad deal.

Reactions: Chiripa20

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Edmonton will have a tough time fitting him in for sure. They have to replace/extend Ekholm (likely requiring a raise); extend Bouchard (definitely requiring a huge raise); extend/replace Stuart Skinner (definitely requiring a raise); add in at least 4 more D, 7 more F and a backup goalie to fill up a full roster. That is going to squeeze the Oilers hard. It is going to be impossible to fill the depth positions with anything other than league min players. They don't have many impact prospects coming up either.

I don't see how they can get rid of Nurse, nobody will touch that contract, no matter how much asset they attach to him. Its going to be interesting to see how they navigate the next couple summers.

Reactions: Chiripa20

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Arizona made a few good moves, then they moved to Utah and the group wanted to make a big splash. This trade is looking disastrous for that franchise.

Moser 3.375mil
6 GP 2G 4A 6 P +8

Sergachev 8.5mil
7GP 0G 4A 4P -1

They would have been better off trying to acquire Cernak who is at least a shutdown guy.
This is such a Jim Benning trade lol.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Durzi and now Marino gone until probably March at least, the Utah Hockey Club better hope for better from Sergachev.

At the beginning of the season, the blueline was looking like one of their strengths. But now, it could become a huge liability.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'miracle' to me was that they got all the way to the Cup Final last year with Skinner in net.

Still rankles that the Canucks had him on the ropes in their Conference semi-final and couldn't get enough shots on goal or chances to have him fold completely.

The Oiler faithful are still attempting to discount the loss of guys like McLeod, Holloway, Broberg, Ceci, Desharnais and Fogele. But there's simply no way they've replaced them.

To compound their problems, their highest paid d-man Nurse is playing like a waiver-wire pickup. And Ekholm looks to be aging fast. I still think they'll put it together and make the playoffs. But a repeat of last season? Not a chance imo.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Man Skinner has the game of his life and in classic Oilers fashion the team in front of him pisses it away

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Zamula with one of the worst line changes I've seen.

Totally faked out Drysdale on that play.

Flyers are a mess at the moment.
Seem to be picking up where they left off last season when in the final 2 weeks they lost multiple games to bottom feeders to miss the PO.

Flyers still need high end talent so not the worst thing to be near the bottom but that would also spell the end for torts in the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Flyers and Canadians probably have two of the youngest rosters in the league. But the NHL isn't a kind league to young guys or young teams.

Torts has shown masterful restraint so far.....but watching this Flyers team, sooner or later he's going to blow a gasket. Media guys will soon be tip-toeing into the post-game media scrums.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Sticking with the Flyers, I wonder how long it takes for things to heat up between Tort’s regarding the play of Jamie Drysdale…

Drysdale is now a -28 in his 31 games in Philly while also struggling to put up points (8 points in total).

I hope the kid can find his game but now 4 years after being drafted he kind of has to start showing something.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Sticking with the Flyers, I wonder how long it takes for things to heat up between Tort’s regarding the play of Jamie Drysdale…

Drysdale is now a -28 in his 31 games in Philly while also struggling to put up points (8 points in total).

I hope the kid can find his game but now 4 years after being drafted he kind of has to start showing something.
He needs to be healthy for an extended period first

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Near elite skill (speed and puck moving ability is so good) but has zero defensive awareness and this hasn't really changed at all in his 5 years at the NHL level.

Anaheim really screwed his development by rushing him into such a god awful team. He should have absolutely stayed in the CHL and then stayed in the AHL for a year or two.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Near elite skill (speed and puck moving ability is so good) but has zero defensive awareness and this hasn't really changed at all in his 5 years at the NHL level.

Anaheim really screwed his development by rushing him into such a god awful team. He should have absolutely stayed in the CHL and then stayed in the AHL for a year or two.
Just goes to show that Hughes is an absurdly rare talent. We've seen smaller skilled guys come in and put up big numbers, but they almost always struggle to be anything but average defensively.

Hughes is not only elite in both categories, right now he's arguably the best in the entire world in both categories. Makar is comparable offensively, better physically but doesn't come close in his own end. His numbers will always be inflated from playing with Mack.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Utah and MTL are better off trying to sign some remaining UFAs as stop gaps.

Past their prime (and not necessarily good) but some names still out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad