Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If this season goes completely off the rails in Edmonton, you have to wonder about the future of McDavid.

At this point in his career, it's all about 'winning a Cup'. And if he concludes it won't happen with the Oilers, will he re-sign there?

The Oil could be a lot closer to 'a rebuild' than a return to the Cup Finals.
I assume Draistal signed that extension only because McDavid promised he would too, otherwise, I don't see why Leon would commit 8 more years there. I think its pretty safe to think McDavid will stay, unless something catastrophic happens to their season.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I assume Draistal signed that extension only because McDavid promised he would too, otherwise, I don't see why Leon would commit 8 more years there. I think its pretty safe to think McDavid will stay, unless something catastrophic happens to their season.

That's my thought process too. Not to mention, McDavid is likely looking at 15-16M. Very few teams could afford that without decimating their roster. Which hey, it's something you seriously consider for McDavid but then he's right back where he started.

What Edmonton needs to do is pull off the important and get rid of Nurse. No idea how they pull that off though. Even with a treasure trove of incentives, 9.25M til 2030 that's basically complete buyout proof is just a disaster of a contract I doubt anywhere wants.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's my thought process too. Not to mention, McDavid is likely looking at 15-16M. Very few teams could afford that without decimating their roster. Which hey, it's something you seriously consider for McDavid but then he's right back where he started.

What Edmonton needs to do is pull off the important and get rid of Nurse. No idea how they pull that off though. Even with a treasure trove of incentives, 9.25M til 2030 that's basically complete buyout proof is just a disaster of a contract I doubt anywhere wants.
It's the sad reality of the NHL. No flexibility to maneuver a bad deal.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Edmonton will have a tough time fitting him in for sure. They have to replace/extend Ekholm (likely requiring a raise); extend Bouchard (definitely requiring a huge raise); extend/replace Stuart Skinner (definitely requiring a raise); add in at least 4 more D, 7 more F and a backup goalie to fill up a full roster. That is going to squeeze the Oilers hard. It is going to be impossible to fill the depth positions with anything other than league min players. They don't have many impact prospects coming up either.

I don't see how they can get rid of Nurse, nobody will touch that contract, no matter how much asset they attach to him. Its going to be interesting to see how they navigate the next couple summers.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Arizona made a few good moves, then they moved to Utah and the group wanted to make a big splash. This trade is looking disastrous for that franchise.

Moser 3.375mil
6 GP 2G 4A 6 P +8

Sergachev 8.5mil
7GP 0G 4A 4P -1

They would have been better off trying to acquire Cernak who is at least a shutdown guy.
This is such a Jim Benning trade lol.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Durzi and now Marino gone until probably March at least, the Utah Hockey Club better hope for better from Sergachev.

At the beginning of the season, the blueline was looking like one of their strengths. But now, it could become a huge liability.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'miracle' to me was that they got all the way to the Cup Final last year with Skinner in net.

Still rankles that the Canucks had him on the ropes in their Conference semi-final and couldn't get enough shots on goal or chances to have him fold completely.

The Oiler faithful are still attempting to discount the loss of guys like McLeod, Holloway, Broberg, Ceci, Desharnais and Fogele. But there's simply no way they've replaced them.

To compound their problems, their highest paid d-man Nurse is playing like a waiver-wire pickup. And Ekholm looks to be aging fast. I still think they'll put it together and make the playoffs. But a repeat of last season? Not a chance imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad