Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Avs are about as one line of a team as you could ever construct right now.
For a team that won the cup in 2022 the Avs have fallen fast and that’s with Mack at 29, Rant at 28, Makar at 26. Nuke and Landy with personal issues causing uncertainty and injury with unknown timeline.
Their core guys are in their prime yet they don’t feel like a serious contender like they should be.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I thought the excuse was that Frankie was pretty much playing GM which made Benning a dickless pushover. Either way it was that or Benning being 95% regarded and or both
Nothing to back it up but I always assumed they were very much on the same page. That with Aquilini liking to push his involvement with the team he got a GM in Jim Benning that welcomed him in the room and valued his opinion.

Reactions: MS

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For a team that won the cup in 2022 the Avs have fallen fast and that’s with Mack at 29, Rant at 28, Makar at 26. Nuke and Landy with personal issues causing uncertainty and injury with unknown timeline.
Their core guys are in their prime yet they don’t feel like a serious contender like they should be.
I mean Landeskog and Nichuskin represent a significant cap hit (not sure how the CBA works out for them) and loss of quality of players. That's two top line wingers simply gone from the lineup not leaving them much after Rantanen. Also the team that won the Cup had a lot of great value contracts with a handful of guys like Kadri going over a PPG at around $5M a season. Those guys all cashed out with bigger contracts on other teams.

I think they've done about as well as you could expect given the circumstances. What they have going for them is given the still young age of their elite players they'll be in the playoffs for a good while and will have a number of chances to find the right mix again.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I pointed out repeatedly when they were dominating that it was going to be extremely hard to make it last because they had a massive cap advantage from a few contracts that are all gone now. Injuries and other circumstances are hurting them a lot, but those long gone sweetheart deals are what really made them a powerhouse.

Avs are a perfect example of how windows are shorter than you think because it's tied to the contracts, not the players, and you have to really commit to winning when you're in a legitimate window.

Reactions: Coffees and MS

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I pointed out repeatedly when they were dominating that it was going to be extremely hard to make it last because they had a massive cap advantage from a few contracts that are all gone now. Injuries and other circumstances are hurting them a lot, but those long gone sweetheart deals are what really made them a powerhouse.

Avs are a perfect example of how windows are shorter than you think because it's tied to the contracts, not the players, and you have to really commit to winning when you're in a legitimate window.

quinn.jpg

Reactions: Coffees and Hansen

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This is exactly it, Hughes and Demko’s current contracts are our window
Yup, Colorado got a Cup from their window. What do we get from ours? The window isn’t getting any bigger, especially with Demko already in breakdown mode.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yup, Colorado got a Cup from their window. What do we get from ours? The window isn’t getting any bigger, especially with Demko already in breakdown mode.
I think the only reason they didn’t get more is due to their window coinciding with the flat cap era and then coming out of the flat cap with their cap locked down with 2 top line guys that are unavailable for injury and just weird reasons.

If the cap is going up consistently in the next 5 years, we should be fine. Hell if it wasn’t for artificial restriction on cap growth, the cap would’ve been like 100M already based on current hockey rev. With Utah being a thing and multiple expansions in the horizon, there is no reason why the cap would not be north of 100 in like 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad