Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Interesting....would have though that Konecny and the Flyers would go different directions.

With his stature and play style it was smart to grab the bag when tabled.

Boeser is gonna be a tough one for us. If your willing to give Hronek 8yrs and fellow draft class men like Konecny are getting it good luck with discussions around not giving it

Man did last years playoff run really expose some media types. Used to think the crotch watcher was the only one on the panel who was a total 2 face.

Now they are coming out in droves

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Seems like a weird extension for a team that has openly admitted to being in a rebuild and still doesn't really have any young A+ assets (aside from Michkov).

It is and I think he got a higher AAV in part due to this fact. He knows the position of the team and what it might mean for his career.

He's been more consistent than Boeser. A better producer and 2way player the last 5 years, so he should have a higher contract. That said, I like Boeser's ceiling more and it's fortuitous for the Canucks, in a way, that he has only shown that ceiling last year. If he does it again to start this upcoming season... Not good in terms of potential AAV.

Negotiating with Boeser even before this Konecny signing would have been smart imo.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems like a weird extension for a team that has openly admitted to being in a rebuild and still doesn't really have any young A+ assets (aside from Michkov).
But are the Flyers really going to bottom out into the bottom 3 anytime soon? Their 202X draft picks are not anything exciting aside from Michkov and he's a skilled winger (Like Raymond for Det).

Torts is the HC, so unless the team revolts, he'll have them outside the bottom 5 for sure.

Briere is going to really need to hit it big with those extra 4 picks in the 22-45 range that he got from Col, Edm, Ana, CBJ this draft.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I think they view Michkov as a transformative prospect, will tank this season to build up more assets and get closer to the end of their numerous dead money contracts (DeAngelo's buyout, Petersen and Johansen's contract comes off the books). I wouldn't be surprised if they start building up again to be semi-competitive next off-season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
ok, i somehow read horvat for boeser. apologies to burke's evil spirit and to all those confused by my post. carry on.

Sounds like you're thinking of Couturier, not Konecny.
sort of the opposite actually. i was mentally comparing konecny's deal to horvat's deal, got to your post and read what i wanted to read.

Reactions: Vector

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
But are the Flyers really going to bottom out into the bottom 3 anytime soon? Their 202X draft picks are not anything exciting aside from Michkov and he's a skilled winger (Like Raymond for Det).

Torts is the HC, so unless the team revolts, he'll have them outside the bottom 5 for sure.

Briere is going to really need to hit it big with those extra 4 picks in the 22-45 range that he got from Col, Edm, Ana, CBJ this draft.
Probably not, but if you wanted a chance at landing young talent at C/D, you're basically gonna have to move an asset like this to either get a premium piece (i.e. Pacioretty trade) or get assets to trade for a premium piece.

I also probably would've fired Tortorella who I don't imagine was ever Briere's guy anyways.
I think they view Michkov as a transformative prospect, will tank this season to build up more assets and get closer to the end of their numerous dead money contracts (DeAngelo's buyout, Petersen and Johansen's contract comes off the books). I wouldn't be surprised if they start building up again to be semi-competitive next off-season.
The whole problem with that IMO is that all of their best young assets are wingers and they're in an especially bad situation if Luchanko doesn't become a 1C.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tanking isn't Torts style. If that's the plan, he shouldn't be the HC. Philly seems like his final HC stop as I don't see another club taking him unless they are an underperforming expected top team that the GM feels needs a kick in the butt.

I have a hard time seeing how Philly is going to drop from around 90 points that they got down to the bottom 3 range. In 18-19, Ott was at 64 points, then LA was at 72. But, the in 22-23 4 clubs finished at 60 or lower. This past year 66 was 4th worst. So, unless SJ, Chi, Ana, CBJ take a big step up, not sure Philly is dropping 20 something points in the standings.

I can see PHI dropping but not that far down.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tanking isn't Torts style. If that's the plan, he shouldn't be the HC. Philly seems like his final HC stop as I don't see another club taking him unless they are an underperforming expected top team that the GM feels needs a kick in the butt.

I have a hard time seeing how Philly is going to drop from around 90 points that they got down to the bottom 3 range. In 18-19, Ott was at 64 points, then LA was at 72. But, the in 22-23 4 clubs finished at 60 or lower. This past year 66 was 4th worst. So, unless SJ, Chi, Ana, CBJ take a big step up, not sure Philly is dropping 20 something points in the standings.

I can see PHI dropping but not that far down.

Easy, goaltending. Hart was a good goaltender and once he was out of the picture, their season cratered. Neither Ersson nor Fedotov showed much in their small sample sizes. Plus the most of the other bad teams actively tried to improve (Sharks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Utah HC, and Senators). Ducks and Canadiens stood pat, hoping to see progression from the prospects they already have. Flames are starting a rebuild but have enough veteran talent to be competitive. Really, to me, the Flyers and Flames are the only teams tanking this season and they are half-assing it.

Reactions: ameselare

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...some of the Oilers faithful are going ballistic over the team's decision to hire Stan Bowman as their new GM and President. They've even launched an on-line petition calling for his firing.

Talk about 'being on the hot seat' from the day you take the job!

Reactions: Caspian

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

About 10 years ago I started publishing my NHL projections online and joined CapFriendly about six years ago. It was a tremendous thrill to work on the site, but also a major disappointment when I found out the site was being sold to the Washington Capitals and my services were no longer required.

As luck would have it, I discovered that The Hockey News was looking to add more roster and lineup content to their site. So here we are. We wanted to get the data online as soon as possible, so the content will temporarily be published using Google Sheets. The long-term goal is to build something more user-friendly, so stay tuned for a more robust feature down the road. The data can be a little slow to load sometimes, but I think they actually look pretty good in this format. I tried to mimic the CapFriendly layout with a few tweaks, so it should look familiar to those who visited the old pages.

Reactions: sting101

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Easy, goaltending. Hart was a good goaltender and once he was out of the picture, their season cratered. Neither Ersson nor Fedotov showed much in their small sample sizes. Plus the most of the other bad teams actively tried to improve (Sharks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Utah HC, and Senators). Ducks and Canadiens stood pat, hoping to see progression from the prospects they already have. Flames are starting a rebuild but have enough veteran talent to be competitive. Really, to me, the Flyers and Flames are the only teams tanking this season and they are half-assing it.
Will see. I can phi dropping 10-15 points to 75-80. Then SJ has to go from 47 to 75 which is 15 more wins. Chi from 52 to 75 which is like 12 more wins.

But again, I think for phi to bomb the team has to turn on Torts and he gets fired by Xmas.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Wow!...some of the Oilers faithful are going ballistic over the team's decision to hire Stan Bowman as their new GM and President. They've even launched an on-line petition calling for his firing.

Talk about 'being on the hot seat' from the day you take the job!

Lots are supporting the move which says all anyone needs to know about that fanbase

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I have a few questions on how Bowman even had the NHL allow this and that just adds to my dislike for Buttman the man has no conscience no consideration for players at risk or those affected after the cover up .
Oilers also should have had similar questions.
What a bush league move

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He (as well as Dumb & Dumber - Whitney & Gazdic; throw-in Spector as well) would support the Oilers if they hired Graham James to be their head coach.;)
I can get Whitney laying low since he's not a local show. But, does show that he's a front runner, only there for the good times and not the bad...

Gazdic and Spector laying low despite being the local guys covering the team says a lot about them. Take a stance. Cause if it was anyone else hired, they'd be out there with their opinion on the hire.

Reactions: Hit the post

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

About 10 years ago I started publishing my NHL projections online and joined CapFriendly about six years ago. It was a tremendous thrill to work on the site, but also a major disappointment when I found out the site was being sold to the Washington Capitals and my services were no longer required.

As luck would have it, I discovered that The Hockey News was looking to add more roster and lineup content to their site. So here we are. We wanted to get the data online as soon as possible, so the content will temporarily be published using Google Sheets. The long-term goal is to build something more user-friendly, so stay tuned for a more robust feature down the road. The data can be a little slow to load sometimes, but I think they actually look pretty good in this format. I tried to mimic the CapFriendly layout with a few tweaks, so it should look familiar to those who visited the old pages.

Congrats Vector!

• Haha
Reactions: quat and Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad