Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
seems interesting.....

GQHWChfXcAA-tCc
Demographics changing fast. I would argue the most popular sport in the GTA is cricket.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I did a quick read through of that article but did he really say there's a lack of interest in the Cup Final? Or was he more so calling out that these so called Polls that said only a certain amount of Canadians being interested in the Finals is probably nonsense? I remember the part where he said 27% of Americans apparently said in a poll that they were interested in the finals which he said would be around 85 million people but the numbers show only 3 million Americans are watching. I didn't read the entire article through word for word so there's a good chance I'm wrong.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Demographics changing fast. I would argue the most popular sport in the GTA is cricket.
Bad take esp with the recent clip on social medias, lol

I did a quick read through of that article but did he really say there's a lack of interest in the Cup Final? Or was he more so calling out that these so called Polls that said only a certain amount of Canadians being interested in the Finals is probably nonsense? I remember the part where he said 27% of Americans apparently said in a poll that they were interested in the finals which he said would be around 85 million people but the numbers show only 3 million Americans are watching. I didn't read the entire article through word for word so there's a good chance I'm wrong.
I think the expectation was sky high with a Canadian team along with the best player in the World in the Finals. Just so happened that fans in the East don’t generally care about team in the West while Nucks and Flames fan base don’t care about the Oilers either.

Reactions: Jmo89

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Bad take esp with the recent clip on social medias, lol
I probably know more about the trends in what kids play these days than you do as I have two kids in school. None of the kids we know play or watch hockey and most of them DO know how to skate including my kids.

Unless you go visit a remote small town which has an extreme majority white population, hockey just isn't what it was used to be.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I probably know more about the trends in what kids play these days than you do as I have two kids in school. None of the kids we know play or watch hockey and most of them DO know how to skate including my kids.

Unless you go visit a remote small town which has an extreme majority white population, hockey just isn't what it was used to be.
Hockey is an expensive sports to play.

I do find that my kids and their friends do watch hockey and some play but none of them are diehard fans

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
It’s June 15th… they decide to extend the season well into the nicest and longest days of the summer … if your team isn’t in it, wouldn’t you prefer to enjoy the early summer weather?
Yeah agreed. The NHL is doing this to themselves. The season is too long imo and there's no reason to be playing hockey in June.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

We're a soccer house through and through here (GTA) and we know way more soccer families in general (not just from our teams) then we do hockey.

I still rather watch hockey personally but it's definitely a changing landscape.

Reactions: MSZ

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Solution is simple. Start the season early to mid September and aim to end it on the May Long weekend. What a nice tradition to open the cottage and watch the SCF.
Remove the ASG (not even necessary if you do the other two), the week break they just took, and start Oct 1st instead of 11 days in and it's over in May.

Reactions: bax and OddyOh

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I think that is quite a big assumption you’re making with a statement like that and not well supported. Having kids really does not give you any special insight on a broad scale contrary to the viewpoints of many parents. It gives you, at best, anecdotal evidence based on your specific child’s experience; not even a blip in the overall picture. That experience doesn’t necessarily represent the actual overall trends that are happening.

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The pens won 2016 without Hainsey

Won 2017 with him

He only played 21 mins that year due to Letang being injured/having a stroke which kept him out of the lineup for playoffs

2017 pens obviously are a better team with Letang playing vs not
defence needs to be fast and mobile not just big trees. They need guys who can move the puck with speed (obviously you want them to be tall and rangy) but that would instantly make this team more likely to win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad