Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Gretzky and Lemieux had already won Cups by the time they reached Draisaitl's current age too. I'm also now thinking what a shame it was that Gretzky and Lemieux never crossed paths in a SCF.

Connor made Kassian look like hockey player. And helped him secure a nice little contract with Oilers.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Mitch marner is not the only one that didn't show up during these playoffs or last 8 years

I know this is a cool thing to do now is pick on mitch.

Drai and Mcjesus are just on different level. Nothing to do with Mitch
I'm only prodding fun because there's been posters who who've made real claims that Marner > Draisaitl according to some obscure advanced stats.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
One bad game? Pettersson has been bad for the entire playoffs. All I'm saying is, a coach can only do so much. Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, etc. didn't excel in big moments because of coaching. Nor will Auston Matthews. The athlete dictates how the athlete performs, not the coach. All the coach can do is create an environment, or a structure, within which the athlete is put in the best position to succeed. It's why in any sport there are very few coaches who have won championships with different teams, and when you look at the ones who have, you need only look at the teams they had to understand why that happened (Bowman in hockey, Phil Jackson in the NBA).

Not absolving Pettersson, but the coach did staple Mikheyev and, at times, Lafferty on his line. Both players were massive black holes until they finally got scratched for game 5

That's something the coach can control at least.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Rangers-Panthers is going to be an interesting series. Rangers' best path to success is their special teams and getting in Bob's head because they are going to be outgunned at ES. Think that one is going at least 6 games. Panthers are murder to play against due to their forechecking and physicality. Neither team winning would surprise me, they are definitely the two best teams in the conference.

NYR faced an "easier" goalie against both the caps and canes IMO.

Florida has faced a vezina quality goalie against bolts and bruins

I think for panthers its business as usual against shesty, NYR might face difficulty earlier in the series against Bob and they will have to adapt/adjust quickly or else they will fade away

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And yet, not absolving the players of their role in the results at all, but, if most of the players on the team are underperforming offensively in the playoffs, does that not also potentially indicate systemic and structural issues with the way the team is formed and coached
I think this argument would have merit were it not for what we saw in the Tampa series last year:

16Mitch MarnerRW25629119011006301612.5160140:5423:29
34Auston MatthewsC2565493541002202321.7149131:3521:56
44Morgan RiellyD2863588230014101225.0173144:2124:04
91John TavaresC3264371431012102020.0131106:0417:41
90Ryan O'ReillyC316257-1511004101315.4149118:0119:40
88William NylanderC266257-2

I don't think anyone would say these numbers were the result of tremendous coaching by Keefe. These numbers were a sign of what these players can do when they play poor defensive teams who give them ample time and space. It's not a coincidence that these numbers disappeared the next round against Florida, or why they weren't repeated against Boston this season. The problem is that this collection of players (Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares) has shown that they struggle to produce offense when their time and space is removed. I'm not sure coaching can necessarily change that. I think the correct solution is to change the mix of players instead.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And yet, not absolving the players of their role in the results at all, but, if most of the players on the team are underperforming offensively in the playoffs, does that not also potentially indicate systemic and structural issues with the way the team is formed and coached
yes and that’s why I also said, both coach and players need to adjust in order to win.

Reactions: Sypher04

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
NYR faced an "easier" goalie against both the caps and canes IMO.

Florida has faced a vezina quality goalie against bolts and bruins

I think for panthers its business as usual against shesty, NYR might face difficulty earlier in the series against Bob and they will have to adapt/adjust quickly or else they will fade away
Florida is going to play their game: they're going to push the pace and punish you physically. They kind of come at you in waves like Carolina, except they aren't as fast yet are much more physical. Rangers aren't really shrinking violets though, and that fanbase is another one that wouldn't tolerate softness.

If the series comes down to special teams and goaltending, the Rangers are going to take it pending Fox's health and Trouba's shittiness. Rangers don't have to win possession to win games, and that's good because they aren't out-possessing Florida.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think this argument would have merit were it not for what we saw in the Tampa series last year:

16Mitch MarnerRW25629119011006301612.5160140:5423:29
34Auston MatthewsC2565493541002202321.7149131:3521:56
44Morgan RiellyD2863588230014101225.0173144:2124:04
91John TavaresC3264371431012102020.0131106:0417:41
90Ryan O'ReillyC316257-1511004101315.4149118:0119:40
88William NylanderC266257-2

I don't think anyone would say these numbers were the result of tremendous coaching by Keefe. These numbers were a sign of what these players can do when they play poor defensive teams who give them ample time and space. It's not a coincidence that these numbers disappeared the next round against Florida, or why they weren't repeated against Boston this season. The problem is that this collection of players (Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares) has shown that they struggle to produce offense when their time and space is removed. I'm not sure coaching can necessarily change that. I think the correct solution is to change the mix of players instead.

Again, I’m definitely not absolving the players one bit nor am I against changing the core 4, particularly JT, however, it’s on the management at this point to determine how much of this is that our guys can’t produce against these defensive matchups vs how much our systems and personnel didn’t work or were even exploited against these teams. The answer most definitely is that it’s a bit of both, but what is the split?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Again, I’m definitely not absolving the players one bit nor am I against changing the core 4, particularly JT, however, it’s on the management at this point to determine how much of this is that our guys can’t produce against these defensive matchups vs how much our systems and personnel didn’t work or were even exploited against these teams. The answer most definitely is that it’s a bit of both, but what is the split?
It's a tough call, and I don't disagree with people who say that removing Marner from the offense is likely not going to lead to an increase in offensive production in the playoffs. I think one obvious change that management can make is to add puck-carrying, offensive defensemen. That alone should increase the offense. I don't think it will happen, but it's why a move like Marner for Dobson + would be an interesting proposition.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's a tough call, and I don't disagree with people who say that removing Marner from the offense is likely not going to lead to an increase in offensive production in the playoffs. I think one obvious change that management can make is to add puck-carrying, offensive defensemen. That alone should increase the offense. I don't think it will happen, but it's why a move like Marner for Dobson + would be an interesting proposition.

I agree, mobility, puck movement and offense from the backend has been a huge issue.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
For those that laughed when the rat Tkachuk was a -4 after game 1 vs Bruins.

View attachment 873199

No defending this, again.

View attachment 873201
The Leafs could use a rat…..or two…….

Doesn't bother me we have the clearly superior Mitch Marner who does better in the playoffs but just gets goalie'd.
My beer went up my nose reading this, thanks for that………

But I thought Tocchet was a "hard-ass" and holds his players "accountable"? The reality is that coaches are powerless to improve a player's game unless the player has it in him or her to improve in the moment. Some players will, some players won't.
It’s the GM’s job to move those players, good luck moving the Swedish ghost Pettersson………

Love the analytics guy who called Draisaitl a leech and argued Nylander was the better player.
That’s a good one……..

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander is going to get same treatment next year. People here are getting fed up with bringing little yet getting paid like top 10 stars

There are other ways to contribute. This doing just enough won't go too well

He wanted his money. He go it. He wanted term he go it. He better score 40 goals every year

He makes almost the same money as Pasta. Pasta went to the finals. Pasta scored 60 goals in this league. Pasta has 2 100 point seasons. 1 92 point season

Pasta was 3rd in forwards with hits.

Clock is also on Nylander.
IF, and that’s a big if Styles buys into Berube’s system he could excel, but those fly by’s have to be a thing of the past, that shit will be totally unacceptable on the Chief’s team……..

Reactions: fahad203

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Puck moving Dmen will help, would like to add that our D just needs to get the puck out quicker and more comfortably.
The other thing is spreading the offence. Keefe actually done that when he split the big 4 in three lines and IMO the team played their best during that time.
I do think Dobson and one of their goalies would be great.

Lmao.

I don't intend to shit on Willie too badly because out of the Four Horsemen of the Failpocalypse he bothers me the least, but he isn't anywhere near the player Drai is.
Drai is probably the best playoff performers for this current Gen of players. I consider Sid to be the best in the last Gen of players.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
Puck moving Dmen will help, would like to add that our D just needs to get the puck out quicker and more comfortably.
The other thing is spreading the offence. Keefe actually done that when he split the big 4 in three lines and IMO the team played their best during that time.

Drai is probably the best playoff performers for this current Gen of players. I consider Sid to be the best in the last Gen of players.
It's amazing how regular season Drai and regular season AM34 are on similar tiers, yet playoff Drai eats playoff AM34 for breakfast.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's amazing how regular season Drai and regular season AM34 are on similar tiers, yet playoff Drai eats playoff AM34 for breakfast.
It is mentality as Drai is just a lot tougher. Don’t need to look far after Game 5, Drai said Silvos didn’t beat them as it was the post that did. Then he backed that statement up with his plays in Game 6.
Beside Willie, none of the guys will even dare to say something like that bc they just don’t have it in them to back it up.
Having said that, one of the main reasons why Drai could say that is bc he had done it in past playoffs.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
For an unsigned Marner you're not getting Dobson and Varlamov (and I can't imagine you could Sorokin for even a signed Marner). I think best case is that Lou doesn't want to pay Dobson the $8 million per season he will probably ask for next year, so he moves him for one year of Marner in the hopes of resigning Mitch (as he did with Horvat). Something like Dobson and Cizikas for Marner, which would add huge offense from the defense and save the Leafs a good amount of cap space.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For an unsigned Marner you're not getting Dobson and Varlamov (and I can't imagine you could Sorokin for even a signed Marner). I think best case is that Lou doesn't want to pay Dobson the $8 million per season he will probably ask for next year, so he moves him for one year of Marner in the hopes of resigning Mitch (as he did with Horvat). Something like Dobson and Cizikas for Marner, which would add huge offense from the defense and save the Leafs a good amount of cap space.
not sure about that as Lou do build the team the net out. As I think he values Dman over winger.
I still believe MM for Parayko, Binnington and 1st is in play with the Blues.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Kind of expect the Canucks to blow their opportunity to advance tonight. It would be most beneficial to my playoff pool if they won but I sure didn't like their performance in game 6.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Kind of expect the Canucks to blow their opportunity to advance tonight. It would be most beneficial to my playoff pool if they won but I sure didn't like their performance in game 6.
No Boeser and No Demko unless I'm missing an update. Doesn't bode well. The Oilers kind of lucked out in the injury department.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

They were trash in game 4 and then rebounded with a dominant effort in game 5. Outside of maybe 20-25 minutes in game 2, they've looked pretty good at home

Also, Mikheyev is drawing back in. He'll have fresh legs to score a hatty :sarcasm:

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
They were trash in game 4 and then rebounded with a dominant effort in game 5. Outside of maybe 20-25 minutes in game 2, they've looked pretty good at home

Also, Mikheyev is drawing back in. He'll have fresh legs to score a hatty :sarcasm:
Sure don't hear any more remorse about him moving on.:laugh: I hated his playoff game when he was mailing it in here and it's no better there. When he celebrated that empty netter to give us a 2 goal lead with a couple seconds left like he'd just won a game 7 in O.T I said to myself "get that f***ing idiot off this team".

• Haha
Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad