Mar 21, 2010
Carter Verhaeghe
Mason Marchment
Dakota Joshua
Justin Brazeau

All were our property
All 6'2" or bigger
All contributing to round two of the playoffs

You'll hear about how none of them performed in the Leafs system. The same one that is touted as the richest in the NHL. Maybe it's time to revamp everything from the ground up.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I proposed trading Marner and signing Lindholm, Tanev and Zadorov (All Tre connections).
SOLD

Come on. Would everybody and his aunt expect former Leaf Zach Hyman to outscore Austin Matthews in goals in 2023-24 season after Matthews scored an impressive 70 total? :wg:

Zach approaching 70 goals doesn't diminish Auston achievement, but Hyman's 9 playoff goals in 6 playoff games vs. entire Leafs teams scoring 10 combined makes quite a statement of what is wrong in TO.

As both a Leaf and Hyman fan, every goal he scores (particularly) after my Leafs foolishly let him walk thinking $5 mil was too much $, but can't help but wonder IF Zach was going this for the Leafs instead.

For example Marner scored 26 regular season goals + Tavares scored 29 while each scored 1 more in the playoffs for a total of 57 total vs. Hyman who has now scored 63 goals by himself.

It might as well be why we might be seeing the Leafs core disassembled when MLSE is realizing they can't win with these spending habits, when have a bunch of $5 mil players achieving better success or bang for you cap buck and most importantly showing up and performing well come playoff time.
It was a mistake to let Hyman go in retrospect, but you are also correct in that not even his parents believed he would ever score at this pace.

Congrats to him.

Reactions: ToneDog

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Winning as a team masks individual performance of expensive players as its the depth that is key to winning. As long as a team remains the Star player might still have his time to shine and contribute.

However when a top heavy team full of $11 mil players bows out early because your depth with limited cap space can't carry the team and the season ends the focus turns to the players making the big money.

Vancouver is in round #2 and up in the series so Pettersson is not an problem.

Passengers on the road to the Stanley Cup are given cover by productive teammates as again WINNING >>> Individual Contribution because there is "I" in team. :wg:

If the Leafs were still playing in round #2 there would be no autopsy of what went wrong underway.
Well said!

However... up until the exact moment the Cup was actually above Tavares' head there would be consistent vivisection of why the team is so terrible :laugh:

Reactions: Gallagbi

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I proposed trading Marner and signing Lindholm, Tanev and Zadorov (All Tre connections).
I thought... no way that works on cap... and then did it... and it most certainly does...

with Lindholm at $8.5 and Tanev and Zadorov at $4.5 mil...
Lilly at $3 mil, Domi at $3mi, Henrique at $5mil, Robertson at $1.5
Tavares for Merzlikins,
Marner for Seattle's 1st
Gregor and Dewar at $850k
Kampf, Niemela, Steeves/Abruzesse for McBain

23 man roster, still have almost $6 mil to spend.

Noting, interesting D, but it doesn't really help us move the puck any better than we can now.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Elliotte saying it won't be surprising if Jets talk to Keefe.
If Jets want to so bad create a rivalry with us, this would help it.
Would be interesting seeing Keefe's system with an actual great goalie.

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
My boy Zach Hyman 2023-24 playoff tracker

Zach Hyman .. 6 playoff games 9 playoff goals @ $5 mil
vs.
My entire Maple Leafs team .. 7 playoff games .. 10 goals total (including 3 X $11 mil players).

Zach Hyman 54 regular season goals + 9 playoff goals = 63 goals total (and counting)
vs.
Auston Matthews 69 regular season goals + 1 playoff goals = 70 goals total.
LOL now put Matthews on a line with Mcdavid and see how many goals he gets

Reactions: WillNy29

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Calgary East??

Throw in Toffoli as an UFA.

Interesting to see if Tre does that like Dubas did with Soo guys.

Altough I posted earlier I would do the exact same with those 3 players

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Rielly Tanev
Zadorov McCabe
Edmundson Ghost
7/8: Benoit-Boosh
No need/money for Ed/Boosh if you get both Tanev and Zadorov.

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Zadorov
Benoit Lily/Timmons

Not sure what they decide to do with Lily.

Not sure why you would put Marner on D. LOL.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No need/money for Ed/Boosh if you get both Tanev and Zadorov.

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Zadorov
Benoit Lily/Timmons

Not sure what they decide to do with Lily.

Not sure why you would put Marner on D. LOL.
Move Rielly and Lilly and the defensive blunders magically disappear…….

btw... people that want to WIN will do anything to WIN unlike the trash like Marner who just take the money and do F all, blame everyone from media to fans but never ever take any responsibility.

And @Evilhomer doesn’t think much of Pasta, last night he showed he has more integrity than 34, 16, 88 combined……….

that was so nice, 0.00 drag
When was the last time the Leafs actually took a booming shot from the point?

Reactions: ToneDog and Blanka

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
Move Rielly and Lilly and the defensive blunders magically disappear…….

And @Evilhomer doesn’t think much of Pasta, last night he showed he has more integrity than 34, 16, 88 combined……….

When was the last time the Leafs actually took a booming shot from the point?
Phaneuf

Can't stand the Canes. Another fairweather fanbase that needs to be humbled. Hope the Rangers sweep them.

Reactions: Metroid and ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad