Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Florida is a stat nerd team, l o l
Well, more than the Rangers are anyway IMO.

Rangers thrive on the counterattack and special teams, led by an elite goalie. They don't really control play 5-on-5 as much as their point total suggests. They are still a great team and I hope they win the whole thing (though I wouldn't mind if Dallas did either.)

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Well, more than the Rangers are anyway IMO.

Rangers thrive on the counterattack and special teams, led by an elite goalie. They don't really control play 5-on-5 as much as their point total suggests. They are still a great team and I hope they win the whole thing (though I wouldn't mind if Dallas did either.)
Given the current options I’d take one of those two winning as well.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Given the current options I’d take one of those two winning as well.
I have never had a problem with the Rangers. I am ambivalent about the Stars.

I don't like the Panthers or their fans and I freaking hate the Oilers with the passion of a thousand blue hypergiant stars.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Kurtz

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

I don't like the Panthers or their fans and I freaking hate the Oilers with the passion of a thousand blue hypergiant stars.
Seems pretty accurate to where I am with it. I was a Gretz fan as a kid and was a Edm fan but it didn’t carry over. And then guttered once HF’ing.

Reactions: Jmo89

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Seems pretty accurate to where I am with it. I was a Gretz fan as a kid and was a Edm fan but it didn’t carry over. And then guttered once HF’ing.
Honestly, back in the day when you and I were both mods I didn't mind the Oilers so much. I didn't like them but I didn't hate them.

That fanbase became catastropically toxic after the McDavid lottery and it's been downhill ever since.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Squiffy

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Honestly, back in the day when you and I were both mods I didn't mind the Oilers so much. I didn't like them but I didn't hate them.

That fanbase became catastropically toxic after the McDavid lottery and it's been downhill ever since.
Well yes, it’s hard to be obnoxious when you are struggling to exist in those years.

Fortunately not a problem for us, we will always be the most obnoxious in the eyes of others. The battle is for second place.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Ekblad has been ass for many games these playoffs. If he was in Toronto he'd be run out of town lol

Once the Oilers are out I can be at peace

When I was a kid and wasn't exposed to hockey message boards and social media I liked all the Canadian teams outside of Ottawa and Montreal, and bandwagoned the Flames and Oilers runs. Now I am only partial to Calgary (and I'm aware they hate us too but they seem to be less obnoxious about it at least) while the rest can go f*** themselves.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
When I was a kid and wasn't exposed to hockey message boards and social media I liked all the Canadian teams outside of Ottawa and Montreal, and bandwagoned the Flames and Oilers runs. Now I am only partial to Calgary (and I'm aware they hate us too but they seem to be less obnoxious about it at least) while the rest can go f*** themselves.
When I was a kid there wasn't message boards ...
Only started going to boards around 1988 when I was out of country and dialed up to a US board where they talked hockey. They were surprised where I was dialing in from ...

I have less dislike to the Oilers than the Flames.

Living in Calgary, I used to listen to local AM sports station driving to work and they'd go out of their way (1998 - present) to slam the Leafs completely out of the blue whether the topic involved any team in the NHL. There'd be some Leafs bashing ... every broadcast.

So if you didn't live here you probably don't know how small they are.

I don't live in Oiler country so to me they're just another Canadian team.

Oh, lived in BC in the early 70's and yeah Leafs suck.

Lived on the east coast in the 70's, Canadiens or Leafs were the favorite teams. No hatred though.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of us had the Oilers as our second favourite team before HFboards. HFboards completely ruined it. It was like meeting your favourite musician and realizing he is a complete d-bag.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of us had the Oilers as our second favourite team before HFboards. HFboards completely ruined it. It was like meeting your favourite musician and realizing he is a complete d-bag.
I liked the Oilers during the pre-Cap era. I didn't like that a city with loyal hockey fans kept losing their players.

After the 2015 lottery everything changed. Instead of just being happy that they won the lottery they jumped straight into arrogant, entitled and insufferable. They are total dicks to anything and everything Toronto, and unlike Montreal and Ottawa they don't have a rivalry excuse. The only other Canadian team I can tolerate is Calgary and while they don't like Toronto either, they kind of hate everything so it's OK.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ekblad has been ass for many games these playoffs. If he was in Toronto he'd be run out of town lol

Once the Oilers are out I can be at peace

EKblad is just ass now. Funny seeing Panther fans trying to dump him off for value pretending he isnt ass anymore.

Forsling makes that entire panthers D, theyd be a mess without him. Can't believe he only signed for 5m.

Most annoying fanbases on this site: Oilers and Panthers. I don't think any other team comes close tbh. I still remember arguing with Oiler fans all summer long when they signed Campbell that he was trash and only really good for one month, weak mentally, poor form and technique etc. But I was assured that he was good by oiler fans, because look at his sv% and wins! He has to be good to get those numbers (because you know the rest of the leafs suck). But yeah, completely disregard the opinion of people that watched him for years and just take the stats as gospel 👍

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Most annoying fanbases on this site: Oilers and Panthers. I don't think any other team comes close tbh. I still remember arguing with Oiler fans all summer long when they signed Campbell that he was trash and only really good for one month, weak mentally, poor form and technique etc. But I was assured that he was good by oiler fans, because look at his sv% and wins! He has to be good to get those numbers (because you know the rest of the leafs suck). But yeah, completely disregard the opinion of people that watched him for years and just take the stats as gospel 👍

You are excluding Leafs fans then?

"I was talking to a Leafs fan the other day and ..."
"What did he say?" :rolleyes:

Majority of fans are fine, but like everything else you'll find geniuses and idiots on the fringe, and the idiots are usually the loudest.

I don't like some teams but it is usually about the players. Front and center Marchand.

Reactions: Jojalu

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When I was a kid there wasn't message boards ...
Only started going to boards around 1988 when I was out of country and dialed up to a US board where they talked hockey. They were surprised where I was dialing in from ...

I have less dislike to the Oilers than the Flames.

Living in Calgary, I used to listen to local AM sports station driving to work and they'd go out of their way (1998 - present) to slam the Leafs completely out of the blue whether the topic involved any team in the NHL. There'd be some Leafs bashing ... every broadcast.

So if you didn't live here you probably don't know how small they are.

I don't live in Oiler country so to me they're just another Canadian team.

Oh, lived in BC in the early 70's and yeah Leafs suck.

Lived on the east coast in the 70's, Canadiens or Leafs were the favorite teams. No hatred though.
I grew up as expansion was starting so there were only 3 Canadian teams until 79-80.
For the majority of Canadian fans from Ontario to Newfoundland, you were either Toronto or Montreal.
I was a little boy, no internet and don’t remember any hatred per say, but Boston/Montreal had its moments.
My favourite times were collecting the pucks from Dairy Queen to fill out this board.
1716821721231.jpeg

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I grew up as expansion was starting so there were only 3 Canadian teams until 79-80.
For the majority of Canadian fans from Ontario to Newfoundland, you were either Toronto or Montreal.
I was a little boy, no internet and don’t remember any hatred per say, but Boston/Montreal had its moments.
My favourite times were collecting the pucks from Dairy Queen to fill out this board.
View attachment 876226

Were you around for the Quinn hit on Orr?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
EKblad is just ass now. Funny seeing Panther fans trying to dump him off for value pretending he isnt ass anymore.

Ekblad is awful. Panthers would be wise to trade him for picks this off season while he still has name value and the rest of the league smartens up to how bad he is. Only a 12 team NMC this summer so Florida has tons of leverage. Could better use that 7.5m elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00