Around the league part 2

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Still salty about trading Faber away. At least it wasn't as bad as the PLD deal though. Blake and Co. need to GTFO already...
I was a huge Faber supporter and thought he was one of LA top prospects. That said the deal made sense at the time. LA needed scoring and had a plethora of RHD prospects. I hate Blake but this deal was a good deal for both teams.

I want someone to sign Broberg to an offersheet. I miss cap friendly but think Edmonton is up against the cap.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The Dubois debacle doesn't come remotely close to the stupidity of trading away Brock Faber.

You can't get players like that unless you draft them, pissing one away on a middle six winger who has proven incapable of playing with other top forwards is unthinkable.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Dubois debacle doesn't come remotely close to the stupidity of trading away Brock Faber.

You can't get players like that unless you draft them, pissing one away on a middle six winger who has proven incapable of playing with other top forwards is unthinkable.
What PLD is way worse. When the deal went down many were sayin Valardi alone could be better than PLD.

Faber was seen as a guy who should become a top 4 with a shot at top 2. His first year he looked better than the wild could have hoped, or anyone would have thought. That said some of his numbers were not great second half of the year. Really does not matter though because the Faber/Fiala trade should be looked at based on Faber's value at the time.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What PLD is way worse. When the deal went down many were sayin Valardi alone could be better than PLD.

Faber was seen as a guy who should become a top 4 with a shot at top 2. His first year he looked better than the wild could have hoped, or anyone would have thought. That said some of his numbers were not great second half of the year. Really does not matter though because the Faber/Fiala trade should be looked at based on Faber's value at the time.
his numbers not being great the second half might have something to do with him playing through broken ribs for at least 2 months of the season, which is a statement in it's own right

it's probably a wash in that moment, but i think there were rumblings that faber was "him" and fiala's problems were documented. kings don't make the playoffs without fiala (not that i think that would've been a bad thing) so i'm not gonna say i'd do it in hindsight but it's so representative of blake's failures now that it really hurts

could be sitting here flush with kopitar and doughty's heir apparents amongst other pieces, here we are scrambling to win a first round series while sitting on a ticking time bomb

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Broberg is a great D-man. Edmonton's back end was shaky in the playoffs until he was inserted and stabilized things. An offer sheet would really stick it to that franchise full of pricks.

I'm not a fan of the Faber or PLD trade, but people are talking like the Dubios deal is one of the worst post Covid moves made by a GM and I'm inclined to agree. Way too many assets were given up. We can't really call the Faber trade completely though. If Clarke breaks out it will be kind of a wash. It doesn't help Minny also drafted a potentially great forward in that deal though.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The really funny thing about the Faber trade is that in the aftermath all that 'great' RHD depth got purged into a position of organizational weakness and there's almost nothing to show for it.

I'm a big Clarke and Spence fan and those were the 'right' guys to keep beyond Faber but my god talk about hitting a winning lottery ticket and spending it all at walmart

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The problem is Doughty.

If the Kings really went full rebuild then Doughty would NOT have been blocking players like Durzi, Faber. Roy left via a UFA - the mistake was not getting anything for him and Walker was horrible his last season here.

If the Kings moved Doughty then the RH D could be Faber, Clarke and Spence.

I understand keeping Kopitar - the Ducks kept Getzlaf and Kopi wasn't as outspoken as Doughty about the rebuild. Also, his contract ended way sooner.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Kevin Fiala is an undersized 20 goal scoring winger who's production barely makes up for his gaffes.

He's mid.

You talking about the Kings' almost-top scorer for the last 2 seasons? OK...

(If a top scorer is "mid", then everyone else must be rock bottom.)

Oh and by the way, "mid" players don't get MVP awards at the World Championships. Has never happened, and will never happen.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
RD is probably the second most desired position in hockey after center (and could be debated as the most sought after), and the league this offseason has thrown $144.5 million at four former recent Kings RD, and all the Kings have to show for it is Kevin Fiala

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
RD is probably the second most desired position in hockey after center (and could be debated as the most sought after), and the league this offseason has thrown $144.5 million at four former recent Kings RD, and all the Kings have to show for it is Kevin Fiala
Faber - Sure it hurts and we’ve done that one to death.
Durzi - Only played with the extra ‘moxie’ that first year. Gave the puck away for fun and excelled without the pressure to play well defensively this past year. The trade value at the time wasnt too bad.
Walker - At the time we moved him he wasn’t worth his contract and pretty much everyone agreed with that. He was a cap dump at the time and in general the consensus was it was a decent part of the move to get rid of KP. Sure he was traded and giving a 1st for him was overpayment but he did look happier on his knee (which often takes a yr to feel comfortable on) and definitely better last year. However had we kept him then he’d have blocked Spence for another season.
Roy - I was on the trade Roy bandwagon at the start of last season and only one or two others agreed. He would have gotten us a 1st and it’s a miss, but I understand why they kept him (don’t agree though). However he turned the puck o ver almost as much as Durzi and was awful in front of our own net. People bitch about Gavrikov was simultaneously forgetting how much he elevated Roy’s game. I doubt he lives up to his contract, unless he is pair with someone that can do for him was Gavrikov did.

The big error was not trading Roy. The Faber trade I can kind of accept because I think Faber developed far quicker than anyone really anticipated. I was a big fan and the upside was there but the speed he has got there is impressive. Weirdly I’m more upset about the extra pick we gave up as we had so much RHD depth one of them was always getting moved.

As for Walker and Durzi, I’m really not bothered. We can argue about value on Durzi, maybe, but we are better of without them (and Roy). So looking at the contract values to assess it is pointless to me as 3 of them are being over paid.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You talking about the Kings' almost-top scorer for the last 2 seasons? OK...

(If a top scorer is "mid", then everyone else must be rock bottom.)

Oh and by the way, "mid" players don't get MVP awards at the World Championships. Has never happened, and will never happen.

No one is impressed by players who pick on weak competition then evaporate when it matters.

Reactions: johnjm22

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
PPG in the playoffs is now evaporating......Jesus Christ I've read it all now.....

f***ing muffins around here
Two points in this last playoff series with the one goal scored being one of the softest playoff goals you'll ever see. 23 points in 43 career playoff games with the three games in the '23 playoffs representing an aberration v. his career norm, which we just saw in '24.

I like the guy. Fun player. He's the finishing piece of a contender. He is someone you can add when you have a Byfield and a Faber at this point in their careers as opposed to bailing on Faber and adding Fiala when Byfield is coming off of 10 points in 40 games. Then you toss a 1st round pick into the equation as well.

The whole point of tanking is to draft at least one super legit difference maker. Right now, the season that Brock Faber just put up is the best season any Blake draft pick has ever had and we are still hoping that Byfield becomes that legit difference maker.

You're always going to move some prospects when you tank but you have to move the right ones. Blake moved his best prospect and then held on to many others for far too long. Just an unforgiveable mishandling of assets that should have led to his dismissal. As fans of this team, it should sadden all of us that he is still employed because that means accountability is nowhere to be seen within management and ownership.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Two points in this last playoff series with the one goal scored being one of the softest playoff goals you'll ever see. 23 points in 43 career playoff games with the three games in the '23 playoffs representing an aberration v. his career norm, which we just saw in '24.

I like the guy. Fun player. He's the finishing piece of a contender. He is someone you can add when you have a Byfield and a Faber at this point in their careers as opposed to bailing on Faber and adding Fiala when Byfield is coming off of 10 points in 40 games. Then you toss a 1st round pick into the equation as well.

The whole point of tanking is to draft at least one super legit difference maker. Right now, the season that Brock Faber just put up is the best season any Blake draft pick has ever had and we are still hoping that Byfield becomes that legit difference maker.

You're always going to move some prospects when you tank but you have to move the right ones. Blake moved his best prospect and then held on to many others for far too long. Just an unforgiveable mishandling of assets that should have led to his dismissal. As fans of this team, it should sadden all of us that he is still employed because that means accountability is nowhere to be seen within management and ownership.

Sorry should have qualified, with LA, PPG per playoffs....

All that other stuff you wrote, has NOTHING to do with Fiala, in LA, in the playoffs,

He is not the reason they went 1-7......he...didn't disappear like some people want to talk about...

Faber was amazing last year......let's hope he continues it right?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Nice to see the Brock Faber fanfics are out and about in full force. Truly unbelievable you guys are still crying about a player who’s never put on a Kings jersey but for some reason think the same team that can’t get off Drew’s micro was going to allow him to be the player he is on the wild.

The Kings are 1-7 with Kopitar after the retooling. 1-7 with doughty. 1-7 with Todd and his lovers. Fiala is playing with Lewis and we’re gonna casually ignore that lol. Fiala played with PLD who the Kings gave away desperately since he was so bad. When we smear players let’s try to at least pretend to be good faith in your arguments. Unless you guys think this coaching staff and management is filled with smart people. If so make the case for the managements genius.

What stupid points are we trying to make with Fiala? The same people ready to slurp up Arvidsson when he returned to the line up when he has done nothing ever are the same people who are completely dogging Fiala. Bitching about Fiala is one of the weirdest things on this board. 1-7 with X Y Z. It’s like you guys think everything else is fine and there’s just Fiala alone who is letting everyone else down when this management and coaching staff has done nothing but prime this team to failure. There’s legends on this team who have done jack shit since 2015 but we crying about Fiala? At least try to not seem butthurt as if Fiala is the one who pulled the trade himself.

The hypocrisy goes crazy

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad