Around the league part 2

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal

Averaging out Reinhart's salary to $8.625 million annually, he owes $3.15 million in taxes in Florida. He would pay $1.1 million more in California, $1.5 million more in New York and $1.4 million more in Toronto, according to a calculator provided publicly by Cardinal Point Athlete Advisors.

Over the length of the contract that could save him up to $12 million.
It's definitely a factor that a handful don't consider. It sucks for the Kings. Also combine it with the current team's status. It's not a top spot for FAs.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
No strengths, no weaknesses. If he wears a white jersey on the ice you may not realize he is there. You should definitely get his jersey, though. His name fills up space on the back nicely. Good effort, no results.

Good luck to him in the ‘Peg.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No strengths, no weaknesses. If he wears a white jersey on the ice you may not realize he is there. You should definitely get his jersey, though. His name fills up space on the back nicely. Good effort, no results.

Good luck to him in the ‘Peg.

Winnipeg already has Jonsson-Fjällby. Jonsson-Fjällby to Anderson-Dolan he shoots and its out of play.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Winnipeg already has Jonsson-Fjällby. Jonsson-Fjällby to Anderson-Dolan he shoots and its out of play.
I did at one point have a half hearted hope that the Kings would collect all of the players named Anderson or Andersson and rebrand as the Los Andersons.

Josh Anderson-Lias Andersson-Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Mikey Anderson-Rasmus Andersson
Fredrick Andersen

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Jaret Anderson-Dolan signed with WInnipeg today and was seeking opinions on him?

What are his strengths?
What are his weaknesses?
Above average speed. Hard worker. Showed some promise and scoring touch a couple of years ago but couldn't build on it. Didn't get much of a shot with the Kings, played minimal minutes without being a liability but didn't stand out in any way when given an opportunity. Just a guy, if you need one of those he is one. Could be more one day, who knows.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's truly amazing how horribly bad some NHL teams are from a FO standpoint. These same guys keep getting recycled back into the same jobs too. GMs, HCs, etc. Rinse & repeat.

I think hockey may be the one sport where the delusional fan ("I can do better") may actually be correct.

There are plenty of examples of models that drafted better than actual NHL teams and predict/build through FA signings better than the teams have done even in review five years later

Hockey is abstract and tough to measure but many of the measurables ARE clear and gool ol' boys just dont care to see it through their egos

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
The Sharks streamed their prospect scrimmage and they put it on YouTube immediately after. I’m assuming the Kings do this too, right?
Years ago they did, but I think it's 5-6 years now that they haven't. They haven't even been streaming the rookie tournament and the last few years we've had to watch the other teams' streams.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It's truly amazing how horribly bad some NHL teams are from a FO standpoint. These same guys keep getting recycled back into the same jobs too. GMs, HCs, etc. Rinse & repeat.

I think hockey may be the one sport where the delusional fan ("I can do better") may actually be correct.

Hockey has an entrenched establishment staunchly opposed to change. All professional sports league struggle with this, but hockey (and baseball) are by far the worst.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The common denominator is the players. As a GM or coach, you can't trust them. They start having a family, now they're pulled in different directions. Give a guy $1 too much in guaranteed money, and he might just figure, I made it. What can they do, fire me? A guy cries his way out of a city he doesn't feel like playing in, and you have to sell him for less than what you paid to get him. Or, if a guy doesn't want to go to a certain team, then you no longer have access to that potential talent, and can't possibly perform your job to the best of your ability. And of course, there's a limited pool of UFAs every summer, and so if you want any talent for free, you have to overpay for aging crap.

Then it's also the league's fault for wanting a salary cap and tying the cap hit to the average of the contract, meaning you'll get the most amount of term possible in any given situation. Then because there's a limited pool of players available, they hold the cards. Collectively, the owners win negotiations. Individually, the players can get NMCs/NTCs.

And stop, fans aren't going to do better. In fantasy land, sure, you can go get this guy, trade that guy, completely rebuild whenever, play all the kids all the time, etc.

Vegas seemingly being the exception. They don't care about players.

Then there's TB. They knew they weren't winning last year, but they didn't trade Stamkos at the deadline, even though they knew they were letting him walk. Then, with an aging team, which has lost in the 1st rd the last 2 years, they didn't choose to start rebuilding, but gave a 30 year old a 7 year deal. Imagine what they could get for Kucherov. Or Point. They're re-signing Hedman at 34. Even gave him a bump in salary. He's not getting better.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The common denominator is the players. As a GM or coach, you can't trust them. They start having a family, now they're pulled in different directions. Give a guy $1 too much in guaranteed money, and he might just figure, I made it. What can they do, fire me? A guy cries his way out of a city he doesn't feel like playing in, and you have to sell him for less than what you paid to get him. Or, if a guy doesn't want to go to a certain team, then you no longer have access to that potential talent, and can't possibly perform your job to the best of your ability. And of course, there's a limited pool of UFAs every summer, and so if you want any talent for free, you have to overpay for aging crap.

Then it's also the league's fault for wanting a salary cap and tying the cap hit to the average of the contract, meaning you'll get the most amount of term possible in any given situation. Then because there's a limited pool of players available, they hold the cards. Collectively, the owners win negotiations. Individually, the players can get NMCs/NTCs.

And stop, fans aren't going to do better. In fantasy land, sure, you can go get this guy, trade that guy, completely rebuild whenever, play all the kids all the time, etc.

Vegas seemingly being the exception. They don't care about players.

Then there's TB. They knew they weren't winning last year, but they didn't trade Stamkos at the deadline, even though they knew they were letting him walk. Then, with an aging team, which has lost in the 1st rd the last 2 years, they didn't choose to start rebuilding, but gave a 30 year old a 7 year deal. Imagine what they could get for Kucherov. Or Point. They're re-signing Hedman at 34. Even gave him a bump in salary. He's not getting better.
Political gif. Barack Obama gestures in disbelief, holding both hands up and looking around as if to ask, “are you serious?”
1720192124202.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad