Around the league part 2

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Remind me, which team in the finals has guys in their mid 30s playing the most minutes and getting paid the most money?

If I had known that the price of the team winning some cups meant that we’d be married to the stars till death do us part, I’d have at least asked if a prenup was on the table.
God thats so f***ing dumb. I cant believe we're going in 2025 with f***ing Kopitar and Doughty at the helm. f***ing crazy they're the main pieces and the role players. Absolutely crazy.

This organization is going to be buffalo. We're drifting into nothingness.

Kings are like the story of Icarus man. We soared so high and management kept pushing players who weren't worth building upon anymore.

Reactions: tigermask48

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Here's what I know. Gretzky and Lemieux never played on the same team or line, feeding each other playoff points on the power play for THREE years in the first round against the Kings!

and Canada is not winning Gold in Milan leaning on McDavid.

He's no Lemieux, he's no Gretzky and he's no Crosby. We'll have to wait, but that event and stage will be the proof he's an expensive, Canadian Kovalchuk.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Blake does tend to just try to copy whatever the recent cup winner did because he lacks any kind of vision. Glad it’s a tough, aggressive team with good goaltending this year. Unfortunately, he’s gonna say we already have our Barkov in Kopitar as though the two aren’t a decade apart in age.
Kopitar is our Barkov, Doughty is our Forsling, probably will bring up how Bob was the worst contract in the league 2 years ago so therefore a Rittich/Copley tandem is just fine, and then some spin about how Dubois and Byfield give us the best center depth in the league that can neutralize the Oilers. Barf.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
God thats so f***ing dumb. I cant believe we're going in 2025 with f***ing Kopitar and Doughty at the helm. f***ing crazy they're the main pieces and the role players. Absolutely crazy.

Kings are like the story of Icarus man. We soared so high and management kept pushing players who weren't worth building upon anymore.
You don't have to go all the way across the country to make a comparison.

This organization is still the Los Angeles Kings. We've always been the Kings except for when the veteran acquisition was Gretzky and for DL's tenure.

We aren't drifting into nothingness: we've already been there for years when it comes to mattering in the grand scheme of the entire league.

I'm excluding the 60s, 70's and pre-Gretzky 80's since I don't know how the playoffs worked back then but the Kings were making the playoffs sometimes while losing 20 more games than they won. So starting with Gretzky, the best stretch of consecutive playoff appearances was five years in a row from the season 99 arrived along with DL's squad from 2010 -14.

Three years in a row looks pretty great historically and is the second best streak under AEG, matching the one from 2000 - 2002. When you have a franchise that has made the playoffs only 19 times in the last 35 years, no wonder these lame ass f***s think they are "right there".

After 2002, the Kings missed the playoffs for six straight seasons and were most likely saved from seven seasons by the lockout. Halfway through 2001, Blake was gone. By 2002, Luc was gone. The organization is being run by dudes from these teams. Are we gearing up to match the five straight appearances or are we teetering closer to the six straight years of missing the playoffs? Feels very much like these dorks are running it back for one more year and then will probably not be here after another failure: at least in Blake's case.

This franchise has mostly been a joke and we are right back where we've usually been, except we got to taste success for a brief moment in time so it sucks more to suck. It's also why this franchise hasn't wanted to move on from the main dudes that helped make that brief moment happen and, let it be known, the vocal minority on here that advocates moving on from these Kings legends are a small fraction of the fan base: especially the ones paying for tickets.

So we're screwed.

FYI: I pulled those playoff numbers from a website called champs or chumps. They have a "fan report card" that judges the last ten years, although it appears it is running it from the 2014-2015 season, or they consider one title in ten years to only be worth a D+. Here are the grades:

Championships Won: D+
Regular Season Success: C
Playoff Success: F
Suffering: Excessive
Current Trajectory: Improving (this is built over a three year period but isn't taking into account 7-6-5 total games while losing to the same team every year)
Overall: F

Checks out. Again, this stretch has been horrific. This report card isn't even taking into account excitement/entertainment level, which has mostly been trash under Bluc. The suffering doesn't seem excessive because the euphoria of winning the two Cups kind of took the edge off until the Willie D season but, yeah, the suffering is excessive from an outsiders perspective. They haven't done a f***ing thing for ten seasons now. That's nearly 25% of my entire life and it feels like it will take a while to dig out of this current mess.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017

This organization is still the Los Angeles Kings. We've always been the Kings except for when the veteran acquisition was Gretzky and for DL's tenure.

We aren't drifting into nothingness: we've already been there for years when it comes to mattering in the grand scheme of the entire league.

I'm excluding the 60s, 70's and pre-Gretzky 80's since I don't know how the playoffs worked back then but the Kings were making the playoffs sometimes while losing 20 more games than they won. So starting with Gretzky, the best stretch of consecutive playoff appearances was five years in a row from the season 99 arrived along with DL's squad from 2010 -14.

Three years in a row looks pretty great historically and is the second best streak under AEG, matching the one from 2000 - 2002. When you have a franchise that has made the playoffs only 19 times in the last 35 years, no wonder these lame ass f***s think they are "right there".

After 2002, the Kings missed the playoffs for six straight seasons and were most likely saved from seven seasons by the lockout. Halfway through 2001, Blake was gone. By 2002, Luc was gone. The organization is being run by dudes from these teams. Are we gearing up to match the five straight appearances or are we teetering closer to the six straight years of missing the playoffs? Feels very much like these dorks are running it back for one more year and then will probably not be here after another failure: at least in Blake's case.

This franchise has mostly been a joke and we are right back where we've usually been, except we got to taste success for a brief moment in time so it sucks more to suck. It's also why this franchise hasn't wanted to move on from the main dudes that helped make that brief moment happen and, let it be known, the vocal minority on here that advocates moving on from these Kings legends are a small fraction of the fan base: especially the ones paying for tickets.

So we're screwed.

FYI: I pulled those playoff numbers from a website called champs or chumps. They have a "fan report card" that judges the last ten years, although it appears it is running it from the 2014-2015 season, or they consider one title in ten years to only be worth a D+. Here are the grades:

Current Trajectory: Improving (this is built over a three year period but isn't taking into account 7-6-5 total games while losing to the same team every year)

Checks out. Again, this stretch has been horrific. This report card isn't even taking into account excitement/entertainment level, which has mostly been trash under Bluc. The suffering doesn't seem excessive because the euphoria of winning the two Cups kind of took the edge off until the Willie D season but, yeah, the suffering is excessive from an outsiders perspective. They haven't done a f***ing thing for ten seasons now. That's nearly 25% of my entire life and it feels like it will take a while to dig out of this current mess.
in the 60's and 70's, in a 12 team league 8/12 made it, then with expansion and WHA merger 16 teams made the playoffs, in a 21 team league, so a lot of BAD teams made the PO's, even today 50% of the league makes it. 32 teams, so 1 Cup on average every 32 years, most fans will never see their team win a cup, some will never see their team in the Finals.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Sam Bennett is not somebody you use a Top 10 pick on, he’s somebody you pick up for a fraction of that cost when a team that overdrafted him has soured on him and is cutting bait.

That is why most top 10 disappointments (if they find a second life) do it on other teams.
Turcotte in about 4-5 years?

Reactions: funky

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

DL was a great builder.. but not a good maintenance man (based on his own quote). Trying to run a dynasty in the cap era is nearly impossible... Dismantling it after 2014 wouldve been the brilliant stroke.. and quite a few people I know called for it. Its just so hard to be that machevellian...you'd need to have a rep like a Bellichik and have the balls to do it.

What we have today lacks excellence at every level of the organization - with the expected results. It would not surprise me in the least to see them crater next season. You can only live on lies so long. 3 years of tanking bought them 3 years of 1st round exits.. and now they've exhausted all that hard earned draft capital and blown out the cap - which means they are firmly in the black hole. All they've achieved is making a solid cautionary tale for exiting a rebuild too early.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I still think the Selke centers are more valuable to winning cups than the high scoring ones. Yes, McDavid is “the best player in the game” when we only consider offense, which is what 99% of people do. But if someone like Barkov can come in, neutralize him while also putting up more points, who’s really the better player? We can go back to past winners too. Datsyuk on Crosby, Bergeron on Sedin, Kopitar on Getzlaf, Toews on Sedin, etc.
To win a Cup, absolutely, but you need to have a tremendous amount of depth to get there, and depth is costly and short lived in a cap system.

A star offensive center will carry an average or building team a hell of a lot further than a Selke winner, but the Selke types are worth their weight in gold if you have real aspirations.

Reactions: Nasti

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023

So we're screwed.

The ten year excitement factor has been more of an excrement factor.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Hey guys I just wanna pop in and say thanks for being so nice a few weeks back and entertaining my questions. I'm gonna cross my fingers and pray Guy Boucher doesn't end up as one of your assistant coaches. I think the reasons are obvious

All my best to you guys
Thanks forthe kind words. Other gm's think we hsve a REAL nice gm as well.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Game 1 is the only game where I felt like the Oilers probably deserved a better result than they got, but 2 and 3 the Panthers were comfortably in control. And game 3 only got interesting towards the end because the Oilers were playing desperate and trying to avoid going down 3-0.

I understand the coaching staff and the players have to say that and try to psyche themselves up, but if they're being honest with themselves, they know its not true.

Reactions: Schrute farms

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I get why the Oilers players would say that, but the fans also saying it is just hilarious. The Oilers have only gotten what Florida has given them. This series has been men vs boys.
So Florida v EDM is men v boys, and EDM vs LAK was same.. what would Florida v LAK be?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Oilers fell a few times on Bob the last game (on accident, of course). I wonder if they go all out tonight and try to do some actual damage. Backs are against the wall and I wouldn't put it past them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad