Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
KW area is one of the fastest growing places in Canada. Its much more than just a "university" town/city. A lot of big tech companies have set up there. The universities and even conestoga are all down the street from each other. All the student housing are situated in and around that area. Dont think it would be much different than another team in the GTA (in terms of how they would do).

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think they care about MLSE.
MLSE will suck it up and keep giving money for nothing.
NHL will take the $1B and move on.
We only wish they were as important as Vegas.
Bettman should do what’s good for the league, not what’s good for the Leafs……

Reactions: HolyCrap

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think it would be pretty cool to have a 2nd team in the Markham area.
You'd get tons of hockey fans from Newmarket, Aurora, Richmond Hill, heck even Keswick/Sutton that would make the trip and potentially become fans.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
KW area is one of the fastest growing places in Canada. Its much more than just a "university" town/city. A lot of big tech companies have set up there. The universities and even conestoga are all down the street from each other. All the student housing are situated in and around that area. Dont think it would be much different than another team in the GTA (in terms of how they would do).
Is it still growing on the tech front and with companies in general? Its been a while since I checked in around there, but I thought Google and some others had scaled back in KW.

I hope so, I always loved the town...minus he abundance of roundabouts on my way in.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think it would be pretty cool to have a 2nd team in the Markham area.
You'd get tons of hockey fans from Newmarket, Aurora, Richmond Hill, heck even Keswick/Sutton that would make the trip and potentially become fans.

GTA expansion in either the North or East is the only thing that makes sense. If it was to come back. Would be easy to get to those potential arenas. Not sure why’d we want another team in the west where it would be hard to get to

Reactions: weems

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
London Kitcher/Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph definitely have enough if a fanbase to support a NHL team, the real question is could ghese fans make the commute from the GTA in time for puck drop?

Well, it has been a couple decades, but I always found the worst snow was in the Woodstock area. From London once through Woodstock usually clear sailing. From GTA, Golden Horseshoe ... didn't they upgrade a semi major highway south a few years ago?

Yeah, I think they could get there for puck drop, especially if on the outskirts with no fuss parking.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, it has been a couple decades, but I always found the worst snow was in the Woodstock area. From London once through Woodstock usually clear sailing. From GTA, Golden Horseshoe ... didn't they upgrade a semi major highway south a few years ago?

Yeah, I think they could get there for puck drop, especially if on the outskirts with no fuss parking.
Not so much snow, just the volume of commuters returning home from a hard day’s work in the GTA………

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah that stretch of highway is really bad for snow, been caught through there a few times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I doubt Ontario expansion is on the league’s radar. Expanding here doesn’t really grow the game.

Especially when the NHL's slap dash expansion mentality is premised on not being as saturated in US markets... their model is probably something like 32 NFL markets + 7 Canadian oddballs.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They made a dumb gamble thinking they could penny pinch after trading Ullmark, when instead that played exactly into Gross' hands

Hard to imagine an agent in a stronger position

I wouldn't spend too much time dancing on the Bruins grave here. The Bruins blueline looks like it could turn any random Joe into superstar goalies... which is kind of what they did with Ullmark and Swayman a couple of years ago. I'd be pretty confident they could turn Korpisalo into something serviceable and Bussi looks like a well developed goalie prospect too. And just to throw the ultimate hockey horror, I bet they could just grab Matt Murray off waivers and watch him turn in a Hall of Fame performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad