Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Seems like Laine can't get along with anybody.
True but with his youth and high caliber shot he is still worthy of a roster spot in the NHL. Just a matter of the right fit.

He's scored 44 goals here. Imagine the kind of damage he would do in Sweden , Russia or the Danish Elite League.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Laine has his issues, but my gut tells me he isn’t the problem in Columbus. The challenge with moving him is his cap hit at $8.7million. Sure, he’s got talent, but there is that stink with him that he’s never stuck and some defensive issues. Who is going to gamble on him playing a full season, and playing a better full game.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There's actually people who want Laine in Toronto?

That's precisely what the locker room needs, more me-first headcases who pick and choose when they wanna actually put effort in.

Makes you wonder how much Johnny Hockey regrets signing in Columbus.. basically going to spend the majority of the rest his career missing the playoffs
I honestly think it was all part of the plan for Johnny.

He lives in peace in Columbus with no media coverage, he can half ass it on his own accord (which lord knows he's been doing in Columbus) and never have to face the music for it.

Some players have different visions about what they want for their career.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Laine has his issues, but my gut tells me he isn’t the problem in Columbus. The challenge with moving him is his cap hit at $8.7million. Sure, he’s got talent, but there is that stink with him that he’s never stuck and some defensive issues. Who is going to gamble on him playing a full season, and playing a better full game.

That organization has been completely dysfunctional for years. While Laine definitely has had his own issues, I wouldnt blame him for that either

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Interested to see how this goes for the canes. Two super analytical dudes leading the charge. Last two orgs to have those types of guys run their team have had very little success...
Every team that has had recent success has been big into analytics.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Makes you wonder how much Johnny Hockey regrets signing in Columbus.. basically going to spend the majority of the rest his career missing the playoffs

I don't think he minds it personally .. he seems more family oriented and his wife's family IIRC isn't too far away. He can quietly go about his business in Columbus. Maybe down the line he'd like to contend more.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think he minds it personally .. he seems more family oriented and his wife's family IIRC isn't too far away. He can quietly go about his business in Columbus. Maybe down the line he'd like to contend more.

Maybe he's realistic?

Most players never win the Cup.

Funny, Calgary is a small city (my definition is a city > 100k other have told me 30k is a city, for me that's a town). So Calgary around =1.3 mm people, Columbus around 1mm. Large city > 2mm.

He had options for larger east coast towns.

Perhaps family > team results?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/ca/10/41BE0A0D-3CA4-4AD6-AE71-7709BA9ED823/IMG_7010.png

Oilers trade Ceci and a 2025 3rd round pick for Ty Emberson of San Jose.

Also

Podkolzin to Edmonton for 2025 4th round pick.

—————

Oilers can match the Broberg offer sheet. Looks like they might not on Holloway.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good moves from the Oilers. That might change depending what they match. If they match Brobergs 4.6M deal... yeesh.

Dumping Ceci for only a 3rd is solid. I think Podkolzin is a very low risk gamble. He's only 23.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Good moves from the Oilers. That might change depending what they match. If they match Brobergs 4.6M deal... yeesh.

Dumping Ceci for only a 3rd is solid. I think Podkolzin is a very low risk gamble. He's only 23.
Seems like they're planning on matching Broberg and letting Holloway walk. Which is the opposite of what most people thought they'd do.

Pod is a decent risk to take but it's quite likely he's not an NHLer. After a promising rookie year he's been an AHLer since for the most part and not really a particularly good one either.

You save a million in cap space but you're going from Holloway, who's at least a decent bottom six guy with upside to be more to Pod who's a fringe NHLer you hope can be more.

Give 4.6 to a guy in Broberg who's actively wanted out for some time and is probably a 6/7 right now. I know they still love the potential but on the other hand they may end up paying waiver fodder level D 4.6 million.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Seems like they're planning on matching Broberg and letting Holloway walk. Which is the opposite of what most people thought they'd do.

Pod is a decent risk to take but it's quite likely he's not an NHLer. After a promising rookie year he's been an AHLer since for the most part and not really a particularly good one either.

You save a million in cap space but you're going from Holloway, who's at least a decent bottom six guy with upside to be more to Pod who's a fringe NHLer you hope can be more.

Give 4.6 to a guy in Broberg who's actively wanted out for some time and is probably a 6/7 right now. I know they still love the potential but on the other hand they may end up paying waiver fodder level D 4.6 million.
Kane's health will determine it.
And they can be over 10%, until the season starts.

They are fine.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Kane's health will determine it.
And they can be over 10%, until the season starts.

They are fine.
He's bound to be injured in his role and with his playing style so agreed.

They could Mark Stone him and bring him back for the playoffs and there's nothing anyone could do about it. Like him or not there's no denying Evander Kane goes absolutely ham in the playoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1724087286029.png

Interesting. I'm not sure how desperate our Management wants to spend assets on a goalie at this point. Woll has been great but brittle, and Hildeby actually had a better Save percentage than Askarov did last year, and Askarov played behind a better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad