Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just think he wants Broberg. Halloway is a decoy almost. Bro has shown some upside and worth the 2nd round pick. If he doesn't pan out, well you lose 2nd round pick and you only have him for 2 years

But the upside is great.

Yeah, I'm sure the Holloway is to put more hurt into it.

If one had the space, I'd be comfortable targeting Broberg.
From what I read about his time in the minors was by far their best (not sure he cooled down) and was dominant in games.

1723579176541.png

Applying what I've read here about what the Leafs would have to offer for a young, middle pairing defender who 6'4", 212 lb. just turned 23 ... Liljegren, Robertson and a 2nd.

If they get him for a 2nd., and I don't think they will, that would be a steal.

Oilers will keep him and put Kane on LTIR, and work out other mitigation.

Reactions: fahad203

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I just think he wants Broberg. Halloway is a decoy almost. Bro has shown some upside and worth the 2nd round pick. If he doesn't pan out, well you lose 2nd round pick and you only have him for 2 years

But the upside is great.

I think the Blues would be happy to have one or both of Holloway and Broberg at the respective compensation.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I don't think the Oilers will be willing to let Broberg go. Despite his lack of NHL experience he's seemed ready to me for the last 2 years. Add in his position and play style and it's easy to see why they should match. They went a little overboard with the forward depth and shouldn't prioritize maintaining it at the cost of losing a player who imo would be a much more valuable asset going forward than any depth forwards.
In the end, it is of course their call, but that's how i see it.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Interesting approach from the Blues. Also, how many offer sheets can an team offer/sign at once?
As many as they have the picks to cover which i believe is 3.
Not sure if 4th+ round picks are ever considered offer sheet compensation worthy but I don't believe so.

Reactions: OddyOh

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It will be interesting to watch TJ Brodie this season and see if he can regain a good level.

That was one thing that badly hurt our team last year.

Going into the season he was easily our second best D and by the end of the season basically getting healthy scratched.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Absolute fumble f*** from the Oilers leaving Broberg and Holloway unsigned this long. I'm not entirely sold on Holloway, but JJ/Bowman dropped the ball having Broberg sitting there. Money was there to sign the player with a Kulak or Ceci trade, not a good start for Stan.

The compensation is peanuts here too, good move from the Blues. Would love to see more of it.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It will be interesting to watch TJ Brodie this season and see if he can regain a good level.

That was one thing that badly hurt our team last year.

Going into the season he was easily our second best D and by the end of the season basically getting healthy scratched.

His legs are done. He hasn't aged well and can't see him rebounding

Reactions: weems

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope this leads to more players signing OS if management is not negotiating fast enough.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I were a manager on another team who needed some offense, I’d offer Robertson a $2.2 mil OS. Compensation is only a 3rd.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If I were a manager on another team who needed some offense, I’d offer Robertson a $2.2 mil OS. Compensation is only a 3rd.
Yeah it would definitely be smart. But I wonder if these offersheets mainly happened because its Stan bowman runnning the show now. People might not really care if they step on his toes and piss him off.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Robertson wants out wouldn't signing an Offer Sheet be a risky move for him?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Robertson wants out wouldn't signing an Offer Sheet be a risky move for him?
It could be... but then at least he'd control his potential destination. He has no control now. The Leafs can just let him sit if they want, and he'd be unlikely to get $2.2.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It could be... but then at least he'd control his potential destination. He has no control now. The Leafs can just let him sit if they want, and he'd be unlikely to get $2.2.
True enough but it could also get stuck in a place he doesn't want to be for an extended time.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What are the odds Leafs match $2.2? For a guy who apparently doesn't want to be here?
No idea, that's the risk the player takes.
Could be they value him higher than a 3rd so will match and try and work out a move later with a better return.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

horner

May 22, 2007
Alex Lafreniere what will his next contract be what would the Rangers walk away from ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad