Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Marek's a moron.

How stupid do you gotta be to leak that draft list. Especially to some twit with a big mouth. Marek commited career suicide leaking that sort of privileged information.

But Michael Landsberg thinks TSN should hire him.

The news reporter who leaks confidential information related to the draft. Hire him. What a great idea Michael Landsberg..

When you say he was feeding you amazing wrestling info does that mean he leaked confidential information to you too?

Nobody should ever trust Marek and his big mouth to do the job he is obligated under standard ethical practices to perform. I never watched Marek and if TSN hires him I won't watch him there either. I always felt he was a bit of a moron.

Now he's gone and proven it.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The report says that no connections were found between Marek and any gambling impropriety nor any intentions on Marek's behalf were uncovered.

Sportsnet sacked him for the optics and because the NHL and betting firms had them in a vice

Doesn't help when the guy you leak information to is saying stuff like this: "“Philadelphia and Cutter Gauthier were made for each other … I’d lay money on him".

They explain in the article that legit gambling sites stop taking bets twenty four hours before the draft. But illegal sites might take them after the deadline, up until the pick is announced even. None of that matters anyway since he breached the code of conduct he was expected to uphold.

It's a bad look from any angle.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marek's a moron.

How stupid do you gotta be to leak that draft list. Especially to some twit with a big mouth. Marek commited career suicide leaking that sort of privileged information.

But Michael Landsberg thinks TSN should hire him.

The news reporter who leaks confidential information related to the draft. Hire him. What a great idea Michael Landsberg..

When you say he was feeding you amazing wrestling info does that mean he leaked confidential information to you too?

Nobody should ever trust Marek and his big mouth to do the job he is obligated under standard ethical practices to perform. I never watched Marek and if TSN hires him I won't watch him there either. I always felt he was a bit of a moron.

Now he's gone and proven it.

He's an idiot for trusting anyone.

But why did he have that information anyway?

Seems heads of teams should be rolling.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He's an idiot for trusting anyone.

But why did he have that information anyway?

Seems heads of teams should be rolling.

The league releases it beforehand so all the player interviews and so on can be set up in advance.

Otherwise it would just be chaos on the draft floor. The draft on tv isn't the actual draft. That's done in advance so that the draft on tv goes as smoothly as possible for audiences watching it unfold.

But those results aren't supposed to be released to anyone so the public isn't made aware of them before the event on tv.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The league releases it beforehand so all the player interviews and so on can be set up in advance.

Otherwise it would just be chaos on the draft floor. The draft on tv isn't the actual draft. That's done in advance so that the draft on tv goes as smoothly as possible for audiences watching it unfold.

But those results aren't supposed to be released to anyone so the public isn't made aware of them before the event on tv.

Why would there be chaos on the floor?

They call a name and if the player is there he comes down.

The interviews are after and the questions are all the same.

1st. round is different than subsequent rounds which can be dependent on the picks in the first. And some teams end up trading 1st. round picks if their player is gone.

Been at a draft and really it isn't complicated.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Really?

So I guess, teams know who is picking who before they announce it and start making trade?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Lmao they dont do the entire first round or something in advanced. But teams definitely lock in their pick well before theyre getting up and going to the stage. Why do you think every OTC clock goes the entire time? Even for the very obvious picks they wait the entire 3 minutes. The NHL likely uses that time to inform broadcasters and others so they have a few minutes to prep what to say or get interview questions ready.

You have clips of Benning being shocked that Quinn Hughes was still there at their pick.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lmao they dont do the entire first round or something in advanced. But teams definitely lock in their pick well before theyre getting up and going to the stage. Why do you think every OTC clock goes the entire time? Even for the very obvious picks they wait the entire 3 minutes. The NHL likely uses that time to inform broadcasters and others so they have a few minutes to prep what to say or get interview questions ready.

You have clips of Benning being shocked that Quinn Hughes was still there at their pick.
Teams will have their BPAs, but unless you are picking first ... okay not Montreal ... you have to pick a player that hasn't been picked.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That's a really weak reason to fire Marek. Like him or not what he did can't be any worse than what any other insider has done, in hockey or whatever other sport. What's the difference between tweeting picks to thousands of strangers on Twitter vs texting your buddy?

Really, sports gambling has gotten out of hand. Marek probably did this all the time in the past but the draft being in Vegas and the ever increasing presence of betting is why it became a huge issue this time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's a really weak reason to fire Marek. Like him or not what he did can't be any worse than what any other insider has done, in hockey or whatever other sport. What's the difference between tweeting picks to thousands of strangers on Twitter vs texting your buddy?

Really, sports gambling has gotten out of hand. Marek probably did this all the time in the past but the draft being in Vegas and the ever increasing presence of betting is why it became a huge issue this time.

I've got nothing against sports gambling in the abstract, but the intensity of its presence in the hockey world, especially the hockey media has been a negative.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Teams will have their BPAs, but unless you are picking first ... okay not Montreal ... you have to pick a player that hasn't been picked.

Teams input their selections into a computer before the timer ends and before the go up, so that TV/Production can have their points ready to talk about and also have the graphics ready

Reactions: CDN24

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Teams input their selections into a computer before the timer ends and before the go up, so that TV/Production can have their points ready to talk about and also have the graphics ready

I don't think we are discussing that teams go to the stage without a decision.
The discussion was that the league knows all the first round picks before they begin the draft.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't think we are discussing that teams go to the stage without a decision.
The discussion was that the league knows all the first round picks before they begin the draft.

Ohh I don’t think that’s true. League finds out when the teams type it into the computer before they go up.

We know the league doesn’t know because they were pissed about the Logan Mailloux pick

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why would there be chaos on the floor?

They call a name and if the player is there he comes down.

The interviews are after and the questions are all the same.

1st. round is different than subsequent rounds which can be dependent on the picks in the first. And some teams end up trading 1st. round picks if their player is gone.

Been at a draft and really it isn't complicated.

I'm just going by the article.

But that's a lot of people at an emotionally charged event. I can see there being a lot of confusion among partipants and their families if things aren't prepared ahead of time. Why else would they release the names to the press in advance of a mock draft instead of just doing it live?

It looks like it runs smoothly every year for a reason.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm just going by the article.

But that's a lot of people at an emotionally charged event. I can see there being a lot of confusion among partipants and their families if things aren't prepared ahead of time. Why else would they release the names to the press in advance of a mock draft instead of just doing it live?

It looks like it runs smoothly every year for a reason.

The teams type their selections into a database minutes before they go up. Rogers, Bell, TNT has access to that database so that they can get their graphics ready and talking points. When on the screen it says x team is on the clock, that’s when they type their selection in.

Reactions: Menzinger

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The teams type their selections into a database minutes before they go up. Rogers, Bell, TNT has access to that database so that they can get their graphics ready and talking points. When on the screen it says x team is on the clock, that’s when they type their selection in.
Even so , the optics that Marek texting friends could have gave them a window to bet on the picks is a huge faux pas. Even if it was impossible to make money off this setup because the sites are wise to it , the general public will see this as shady operations and overall it will lower the volume of average Joe's getting into the sports betting arena and lower the profits for the big companies sponsoring Sportsnet and the NHL.

Marek had to know he was playing with fire he's not a dumb dude. A small part of me wonders if he was looking to make more money elsewhere and didn't really care if he got axed. Now he can do his redemption tour on the podcast scene and start a whole new contract elsewhere.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

You are correct.

I mis-read the article. But now this reeks even more of culpability. It means Marek was texting his buddy EVERY pick as it was being selected.

Much worse imo because more transgressions.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are correct.

I mis-read the article. But now this reeks even more of culpability. It means Marek was texting his buddy EVERY pick as it was being selected.

Much worse imo because more transgressions.

I think it’s being a bit over blown. In the NBA and NFL you have insiders tweeting the picks minutes before they are broadcasted on TV. I think he was just texting his friend to be cool. They did an investigation, no betting was happening.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If Marek was doing it for money that is very different than just doing it to show off.
I think it’s being a bit over blown. In the NBA and NFL you have insiders tweeting the picks minutes before they are broadcasted on TV. I think he was just texting his friend to be cool. They did an investigation, no betting was happening.

Maybe his good buddy Landsberg can get him a job doing wrestling shows again...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00