Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Would find it hard to believe McDavid would sign off on this hire. And if he did, smh.
Jeff Jackson is McDavid's former agent, Kris Knoblauch was McDavid's coach in junior. 97 wasn't blindsided by the Bowman hire by any means. I doubt he has any issue here.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Stan Bowman isn't even a good GM, he'll be Jeff Jackson's and McDavid's puppet and be on his best behaviour.

Bowman shouldn't be anywhere near the game ever again, but this is the NHL and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: TheShape

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
3 rings speak for themselves. Yes, the whole story surrounding the Blackhawks and Bowman was despicable, and optically it doesn't look great, but I doubt anyone in Edmonton will give a crap if the Oilers win a cup while he's there.

I'm kind of envious of them in a way. They're prioritizing winning by any means necessary and they're not worried about the optics of their moves. Stark contrast from the Leafs.

Reactions: HolyCrap

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Admittedly, I don't know what Bowman has done to demonstrate that he's learned from his past mistakes, but I am not against second chances in theory.

What I don't get, though, is why you would even rush in to sign him as a GM. Bring him in as an advisor, maybe an assistant GM, and let him work his way back up. Don't just hand him a GM job right after he gets re-instated by the league.

It is not like you're signing up his father to be head coach either. Stan's on-ice track record in Chicago was a mixed bag at best (won some Cups but part of that was Tallon and he's also largely responsible for the team's rapid decline with some really questionable trades and signings).

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Fixed it for you.
I do find it odd we have never heard from John McDonough who ultimately made the call to not report to the police and no one in the room spoke up to challenge the decision. I think that’s where I’m not a fan of Bowman because while it may have been McDonough’s decision. No one in management spoke up

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thing is too, they did so over a guy who seemed to have not been able to repeat finding lightening in a bottle

His final years with the Hawks were.fied with downright ugly decisions

I wish them nothing but the worst

Stan Bowman is a bit of a superficial brand name pick, but the guy who really assembled the Chicago rebuild in the early 2000s was Dale Tallon, who also did a lot of the foundation work for the Florida Panthers in the 2010s and now works for Vancouver.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
What does "draft reasons" mean?

Like, did he divulge confidential information related to the draft he shouldn't have?

Landsberg giving his buddy props tells me either a) he has already spoken to him and knows what's going on and it's harmless or b) Landsberg is an idiot too for jumping the gun.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
What do people think of the Konecny signing?

It seems like a considerable overpayment to me. I didn't want to post that on the Trades/Signings board. Don't like being rude to other fanbases unless they're BOS/MTL. Is he really that good? And for someone who is supposed to be a character guy, I remember he was a healthy scratch two or three seasons ago (he was scoring a lot at the time, so it wasn't because of a lack of production, either).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What do people think of the Konecny signing?

It seems like a considerable overpayment to me. I didn't want to post that on the Trades/Signings board. Don't like being rude to other fanbases unless they're BOS/MTL. Is he really that good? And for someone who is supposed to be a character guy, I remember he was a healthy scratch two or three seasons ago (he was scoring a lot at the time, so it wasn't because of a lack of production, either).

A sign that contracts are going to start catching up to the cap now that it's started to rise again. The cap of 2025-2026 may be 8-10 mil higher than it was just two years prior..

That contract Also likely is inflated by the fact the Flyers have sucked for a while, need to keep guys happy some how if you want them to stay

Reactions: DitchMarner

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What do people think of the Konecny signing? It seems like a considerable overpayment to me. I didn't want to post that on the Trades/Signings board. Don't like being rude to other fanbases unless they're BOS/MTL. Is he really that good? And for someone who is supposed to be a character guy, I remember he was a healthy scratch two or three seasons ago (he was scoring a lot at the time, so it wasn't because of a lack of production, either).
Konecny isn't really anything special, or much of a character guy, but you don't have to be special to get 8-9m nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad