Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, change for change is a thing.

JT gets out of the CRA grasp ... and for those who will only accept him back with a Spezza deal it should be a huge win. He isn't signing a Spezza deal.

NR doesn't want to be playing for the Leafs, so his distraction is gone.

Leafs free up around $9mm in space.

Except he wouldn’t be out from under CRA, and having cap space is meaningless, unless you have the assets to make moves (we don’t) and players available which would improve the team now, which there isn’t.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Except he wouldn’t be out from under CRA, and having cap space is meaningless, unless you have the assets to make moves (we don’t) and players available which would improve the team now, which there isn’t.

1 year of Tavares for 2 years of Jenner.

NR isn't a huge loss.

Leafs don't have to make moves, they already have assets that can't use because of Cap Space.

And the CRA is saying he was in Canada for his Bonus even though he wasn't ... from what I read it is because he played for Toronto the bonus year. He would be playing for Columbus in the latest bonus. So even the CRA can't have it both ways.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

NR isn't a huge loss.

Leafs don't have to make moves, they already have assets that can't use because of Cap Space.

And the CRA is saying he was in Canada for his Bonus even though he wasn't ... from what I read it is because he played for Toronto the bonus year. He would be playing for Columbus in the latest bonus. So even the CRA can't have it both ways.

I think it would be preferable to have the Tavares money come off the books clean after this year than drag it out to 2 years of Jenner. Right now there's nothing to buy in free agency.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think it would be preferable to have the Tavares money come off the books clean after this year than drag it out to 2 years of Jenner. Right now there's nothing to buy in free agency.

Jenner is $3.75mm.

Leafs won't be able to sign a 3rd. line center of his calibre for that little.

But Columbus wouldn't move him anyway.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

NR isn't a huge loss.

He is a Canadian. He will have to file in Canada, in addition to the States, if he's working in the States. Of course the bonus was already paid, while he was an employee of a Canadian company anyway. You are getting him out from the balance on what needs to be paid, which is what... $1 mil? Big deal.

Columbus won't trade Jenner anyway, but JT for Jenner makes us worse... by a good margin. With no real assets to make a trade, no good UFA's available, and nobody really making trades of that magnitude for us to replace JT. There is zero chance they would trade away players, to make us worse this year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, change for change is a thing.
JT gets out of the CRA grasp ... and for those who will only accept him back with a Spezza deal it should be a huge win. He isn't signing a Spezza deal.
NR doesn't want to be playing for the Leafs, so his distraction is gone.
Leafs free up around $9mm in space.
Change for the sake of change is a bad thing. Being traded doesn't erase the CRA dispute, and while he likely won't sign a Spezza deal, he doesn't need to to provide value to us moving forward. Robertson is signed cheap and likely to provide surplus value to us this year. We'd be losing that. We'd free up about 7m (not 9) that we have no use for it at this point of the offseason, and make the team significantly worse for no reason.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He is a Canadian. He will have to file in Canada, in addition to the States, if he's working in the States. Of course the bonus was already paid, while he was an employee of a Canadian company anyway. You are getting him out from the balance on what needs to be paid, which is what... $1 mil? Big deal.

Columbus won't trade Jenner anyway, but JT for Jenner makes us worse... by a good margin. With no real assets to make a trade, no good UFA's available, and nobody really making trades of that magnitude for us to replace JT. There is zero chance they would trade away players, to make us worse this year.

You are correct, even in Florida he only saves about $600k from his $7.9mm for 2024-2025.

He's going to lose his appeal (my guess) over the $8mm from the original signing bonus.
His accountant treated it as an Artist/Performers inducement to come to Canada, which isn't treated as normal income. CRA disagreed.
Another don't come to Canada moment.

I take it you don't see Tavares as the "3rd. line center" so many are claiming?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Change for the sake of change is a bad thing. Being traded doesn't erase the CRA dispute, and while he likely won't sign a Spezza deal, he doesn't need to to provide value to us moving forward. Robertson is signed cheap and likely to provide surplus value to us this year. We'd be losing that. We'd free up about 7m (not 9) that we have no use for it at this point of the offseason, and make the team significantly worse for no reason.

Disagree.

Complacency is a bad thing.

You think Robertson is going to be a long term employee?
Or you think having an employee that is going to badmouth the company is a good thing?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Disagree.
Complacency is a bad thing.
You think Robertson is going to be a long term employee?
Or you think having an employee that is going to badmouth the company is a good thing?
Putting the best possible team out there instead of making it worse is not complacency. If you are making change for the sake of change, that is inherently bad. It means that you don't have a legitimate reason for what you are doing, and are acting on emotion. Your trade suggestion makes us worse, and there is no reason to do it. Hopefully Robertson is here long-term, but whether he is or not is irrelevant. He has value to us this year, and he has not badmouthed the company.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not making the team worse is not complacency. If you are making change for the sake of change, that is inherently bad. It means that you don't have a legitimate reason for what you are doing. Your suggestion makes us worse, and there is no reason to do it. Whether Robertson is here long term is irrelevant. He has value to us this year, and he has not badmouthed the company.

We can agree we don't know what Robertson is saying, however we do know he wanted nothing to do with the Leafs until he had no choice.

Reactions: rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You are correct, even in Florida he only saves about $600k from his $7.9mm for 2024-2025.

He's going to lose his appeal (my guess) over the $8mm from the original signing bonus.
His accountant treated it as an Artist/Performers inducement to come to Canada, which isn't treated as normal income. CRA disagreed.
Another don't come to Canada moment.

I take it you don't see Tavares as the "3rd. line center" so many are claiming?

No, I don't see Tavares as a 3C. He's been a 1C for years, and had some regression last year. It wouldn't shock me if he bounced back some this year. He put up 65 points last year, in a down year, at 17:52 a game. Jenner played last year mostly with Gaudreau, played over 20 minutes a game, and had 35 points, in 58 games. Jenner plays a rugged game, and has missed more and more time the last few years.

Jenner has played on a team devoid of C depth for years. He would have made an excellent 3C for a competitive team, but with reduced ice time, and reduced PP time his production would be around mid to low 30 ish points, in a full season... which is good for a true 3C... but in no world is Tavares going to be anywhere near that low.. We would love to have Jenner as a 3C, with Tavares as a 2C... that would be some solid C depth... but Jenner's shelf life, given the way he's played... his best before date has certainly past, and his game is likely to deteriorate pretty quickly moving forward.

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No, I don't see Tavares as a 3C. He's been a 1C for years, and had some regression last year. It wouldn't shock me if he bounced back some this year. He put up 65 points last year, in a down year, at 17:52 a game. Jenner played last year mostly with Gaudreau, played over 20 minutes a game, and had 35 points, in 58 games. Jenner plays a rugged game, and has missed more and more time the last few years.

Jenner has played on a team devoid of C depth for years. He would have made an excellent 3C for a competitive team, but with reduced ice time, and reduced PP time his production would be around mid to low 30 ish points, in a full season... which is good for a true 3C... but in no world is Tavares going to be anywhere near that low.. We would love to have Jenner as a 3C, with Tavares as a 2C... that would be some solid C depth... but Jenner's shelf life, given the way he's played... his best before date has certainly past, and his game is likely to deteriorate pretty quickly moving forward.

Yes, he's still a top 6 minimum, and he'll get a contract that reflects that.

I use the Malkin deal as a comparable. 4*$6.1mm, perhaps with inflation added.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We can agree we don't know what Robertson is saying, however we do know he wanted nothing to do with the Leafs until he had no choice.
We know that he preferred a trade, but he has signed, and we have him on a good contract that will help us this year. We also know that he has not made any public comments badmouthing the Leafs, so you probably shouldn't be falsely implying that he has, or is going to.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Elite words have been spoken...

;)

All kidding aside, I listened to the JD Bunkis podcast Friday. He had Friedman as a guest.

Some point form paraphrasing:

-Fried ran into Patches outside the Roger's Centre (concert). Patches said in recent years he hasn't had a proper opportunity to train in the offseason like he has this one. Coaches are going to be looking at his edgework, skating, etc. in camp.

-Pacioretty's PTO is just a formality. Already a deal in place.

- Hakanpaa is here to play.

- No idea about Robertson. We'll know exactly what TOR intends to do with how much playing time he's getting. If he's playing most of the preseason games, then they hope to trade him.

-There will be a cap squeeze which means names like Robertson, Kampf, Liljegren, Timmins, etc. Could be traded

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Reminder that we're paying Matthews, Nylander, WIllie & Tavares more that Sid is getting paid lmao.
Tre should now convince Marner to waive and join Boy Wonder in Slagtown where he'll surely get Draisaitl money for two year of Sid the Kid. Who says no..............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad