Around the League: News/Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know how sustainable the Habs recent play is but they are on a 4 game winning streak and currently up against the Sens in the 2nd. A win today would move them ahead of the Coyotes in the standings. An OT loss would tie them with the Coyotes in points.

Arizona is currently 5 points behind us but have 2 games in hand. I seriously didn't think, about 10 games back, that there was any chance we could fall below 3rd worst but if things stay the way they are, there is certainly a chance that happens.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If we’re going to be shit, better to be very shit than a little shit.
LOL. I think with the new rules, it is in the best interest of teams to NOT finish worst this year if they want to have a real chance at Bedard next season. I genuinely don't see us being that bad this year unless Francis intentionally chooses to do that, so I am fine if we end up with the lottery pick this season.

Reactions: The Marquis

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Arizona is up huge again. 7-2 over Detroit right now. That’s the most depressing thing. At least it could be good for our draft lottery chances.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sens are up 3-1 against he Blues in the 3rd.
Hawks are up 7-3 against Ducks end of the 2nd.
Devils beat the Avs 5-3.
Flyers beat the Knights 2-1.
Coyotes beat the Wings 9-2.

So the teams ahead of us pulled further away.
The team behind us won.

After today we are second worst in the league in points %.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, with the way things are going(we've lost 10 out of 11) we're looking like a very good bet to finish last in the league.

The standings after tonights games:

Islanders ---> 50 points ---> 53 games played
Blackhawks ---> 50 points ---> 56 games played
Devils ---> 47 points ---> 57 games played
Flyers ---> 46 points ---> 56 games played
Senators ---> 45 points ---> 56 games played
Sabres ---> 44 points ---> 58 games played
Kraken ---> 39 points ---> 59 games played
Coyotes ---> 38 points ---> 56 games played
Canadiens ---> 37 points ---> 56 games played

So we are only two points off last place but have played three more games, while the only team on a somewhat similar run to us(currently) are the Sabres who've got one game in hand and five points more.

This is insane as we could actually finish behind a team(Arizona) that was raising the white flag on this season back in July of last year...

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Arizona seriously looks like NHL 22 on easy difficulty. They are playing hockey in a way other teams don’t right now. Time to set the clocks back.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This should be an interesting race to the bottom, or however you want to call it.

Current standings:

I'll include the bottom eight(can we call them the craptastic eight?), given that most of them either sold some key players or just plain suck.

Blackhawks: ---> 53 points ---> 63 games played
Sabres: ---> 52 points ---> 62 games played
Devils: ---> 51 points ---> 63 games played
Flyers: ---> 51 points ----> 63 games played
Senators: ---> 49 points ---> 63 games played
Kraken: ---> 46 points ---> 64 games played
Coyotes: ---> 44 points ---> 63 games played
Canadiens: ---> 44 points ---> 63 games played

So far we've played more games than any of those teams but I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference with how the records have been for most of those teams, especially as of late.

I personally could see us finishing anywhere between worst to 6th or 7th worst given that we've got a enough vets that won't quit while other teams seem to have officially thrown in the towel.
Though, realisticly I think we'll end up somewhere between 4th to 6th worst given that teams like the Canadiens, Senators and Flyers are completely on a free fall.

The one thing that does go in our favour, though, is that the Habs, Sens and Sabres are playing in the same division, just like the Devils and Flyers do.
So they'll get points playing each other.

Anyways, I'm actually not to bothered because I somehow got a feeling we'll end up with either Nemec or Jiricek and should be able to get one of them with a pick in the top six or seven.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This should be an interesting race to the bottom, or however you want to call it.

Current standings:

I'll include the bottom eight(can we call them the craptastic eight?), given that most of them either sold some key players or just plain suck.

Blackhawks: ---> 53 points ---> 63 games played
Sabres: ---> 52 points ---> 62 games played
Devils: ---> 51 points ---> 63 games played
Flyers: ---> 51 points ----> 63 games played
Senators: ---> 49 points ---> 63 games played
Kraken: ---> 46 points ---> 64 games played
Coyotes: ---> 44 points ---> 63 games played
Canadiens: ---> 44 points ---> 63 games played

So far we've played more games than any of those teams but I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference with how the records have been for most of those teams, especially as of late.

I personally could see us finishing anywhere between worst to 6th or 7th worst given that we've got a enough vets that won't quit while other teams seem to have officially thrown in the towel.
Though, realisticly I think we'll end up somewhere between 4th to 6th worst given that teams like the Canadiens, Senators and Flyers are completely on a free fall.

The one thing that does go in our favour, though, is that the Habs, Sens and Sabres are playing in the same division, just like the Devils and Flyers do.
So they'll get points playing each other.

Anyways, I'm actually not to bothered because I somehow got a feeling we'll end up with either Nemec or Jiricek and should be able to get one of them with a pick in the top six or seven.
I enjoy our wins but they come with a twinge of annoyance that we are moving up in the rankings. But I am of the same thinking as you are. If we pick a top-8 pick, we are in a pretty good place. Ideally, I still think a top-5 pick is ideal for us considering the quality is better there but the 6-8 should still be good.

We have been 4-5-1 in our last 10 which is actually one of the better 10 game streaks we have had this season but only Ottawa,Chicago and Detroit in the bottom-10 of the current standings have been worse with Ottawa at 3-7-0 and the other 2 at 3-6-1. Habs and Coyotes were both on hot streaks but have regressed to their normal play off late. Sens lost Chabot for the year. Flyers traded away Giroux. I am expecting that the Flyers and Senators drop below us and we end up around 5-6 as well. Still good choices though.

Top-4
------

Wright
Cooley
Slafkvosky
Nemec

Remaining
----------

Kemell
Jiricek
Savoie
Lambert

I definitely prefer a player in the top-4 (Nemev vs Jiricek is arguable) but I think Savoie and Lambert have really high ceilings though they also have low floors.

At the end of the day though, I am still rooting for us to win because despite me hating that we are missing out on a top picks, I still enjoy our wins more.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad