Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As a Mariners fan, good or mid seem rather generous. We've made the playoffs once in the past 24 seasons. We have as many ruptured testicles in franchise history as playoff appearances. We are the only MLB franchise that hasn't even appeared in the World Series. The past five seasons are the second best stretch of seasons in our history and we made the playoffs once during that time. This franchise beats the dead horse of the 95 team that, while loaded with franchise and baseball icons, won a single f***ing round. Many of our fans are tired of that being used to distract us from continuous failure where we can barely scrape into the playoffs once even with expanded playoff fields.

Good baseball market and great fans, but fairly shitty franchise and history. Now, to the point of competition, the seasons for baseball and hockey don't create tons of competition. If they're that worried about football and basketball, they're doomed anyway (I don't think they are). Francis is also probably the wrong guy to have in charge if they're worried about any of that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
These aren’t mutually exclusive.

I’ll never understand that mentality. Do people really not realize how damaging it would be for a reporter to get caught making up stories? Especially for a well-established guy like Friedman? There’s a reason why guys like Eklund have a reputation that they do, and why guys like Friedman or MacKenzie are considered trustworthy. If the latter are reporting on something, they’ve gotten it from someone who SHOULD know something about what the report is on.

Now, this being the business that it is, players, agents, and management know how to work the media to their advantage. So what’s being reported may not be 100% accurate or may be accurate based on the info that Friedman/whoever was provided, but may not tell the whole story.

The RBA contract saga after the Islanders series was a prime example of this. It was reported that the team had pulled the contract to RBA off the table, and if they couldn’t work something out, he’d be a hot commodity for other teams. And there were accusations on here about everyone reporting it making things up (including previously trusted reporters like Sara Civ), how they were out to get the team, attempting to stress out the team before the Rangers, etc.

Then it comes out later that, yes, there was a hiccup in the contract talks around that time. Rod referenced it in his interview with Adam Gold shortly after signing his new deal. And the belief is that the contract that was pulled was the one Waddell had set up at the beginning of the season, because Dundon allegedly got sticker shock and tried to negotiate a new deal with Rod himself

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’ll never understand that mentality. Do people really not realize how damaging it would be for a reporter to get caught making up stories? Especially for a well-established guy like Friedman? There’s a reason why guys like Eklund have a reputation that they do, and why guys like Friedman or MacKenzie are considered trustworthy. If the latter are reporting on something, they’ve gotten it from someone who SHOULD know something about what the report is on.

Now, this being the business that it is, players, agents, and management know how to work the media to their advantage. So what’s being reported may not be 100% accurate or may be accurate based on the info that Friedman/whoever was provided, but may not tell the whole story.

The RBA contract saga after the Islanders series was a prime example of this. It was reported that the team had pulled the contract to RBA off the table, and if they couldn’t work something out, he’d be a hot commodity for other teams. And there were accusations on here about everyone reporting it making things up (including previously trusted reporters like Sara Civ), how they were out to get the team, attempting to stress out the team before the Rangers, etc.

Then it comes out later that, yes, there was a hiccup in the contract talks around that time. Rod referenced it in his interview with Adam Gold shortly after signing his new deal. And the belief is that the contract that was pulled was the one Waddell had set up at the beginning of the season, because Dundon allegedly got sticker shock and tried to negotiate a new deal with Rod himself
I made an unintentional funny. My mutually exclusive comment was not directed at Friedman vs sources, but Francis being a bad GM vs Francis signing a bad goalie for the publicity. If he did the latter, that is evidence of the former.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I made an unintentional funny. My mutually exclusive comment was not directed at Friedman vs sources, but Francis being a bad GM vs Francis signing a bad goalie for the publicity. If he did the latter, that is evidence of the former.

My apologies then. If it's not obvious, sports journalism (and the growing trend of disrespect towards it) is a bit of a sore subject for me.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well then.

Sounds like you already know what needs to be done.
bobby-hill-thats-my-purse.gif

Me hunting down every Mariners player this offseason. Worst case, I get out a lot of pent up frustration for my baseball fandom.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It's time national television networks stop airing the Penguins. It isn't 2009 or 2017 anymore.
And yet they spent more time at intermission fellating Crysby and how the poor guy doesn't have a scorer to play with blah blah blah than talking about any of the Rangers players/goals despite being up 3-0 after the first period. It's like watching a nationally televised Canes game when they're dominating (extremely rare when we're nat'l TV), it's all about the other team and what they're doing wrong, not what we're doing right to be up.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Late to the game on these, but that's never stopped me:

I'm sure all of the young, single, physically elite millionaires won't be at all distracted effectively being dropped in the middle of a college campus for a week.
Most UNC system schools on Fall break starting today.
Turbo just scored the first goal of the season for Chicago.

View attachment 913843
I mentioned to my son that if Turbo stays on the line w/Bedard he's going to be a point per game player.
Kochetkov making just $2 million per season for the next three years might be the steal of the century at this point.
.....and Anderson is in the starters crease allegedly for the last practice before the home opener

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad