Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I agree that's part of it, thus always trading down and getting more picks. On the scouting part, they seem to often choose more "boom or bust" guys or at least guys that are value picks in the sense that they dropped for reasons not always related to hockey (like Nikishin).

Not as aware of his situation as some others. What are the non-hockey reasons that Nikishin dropped?

And there was talk of him coming over this season; even with his KHL contract running through the upcoming season.

Is that on hold since Don Waddell left?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Not as aware of his situation as some others. What are the non-hockey reasons that Nikishin dropped?

And there was talk of him coming over this season; even with his KHL contract running through the upcoming season.

Is that on hold since Don Waddell left?
He has/had a heart condition that may have kept him from playing ever again. He wasn’t cleared until after the draft.

Im sure we have tried every offseason to get him over here. I guess a buyout couldn’t be agreed upon

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Maybe, maybe not. I’m sure the Canes scouting staff is focused on hit rate as is their job, but the organizational philosophy seems just as focused on hit volume as hit rate.

I agree that's part of it, thus always trading down and getting more picks. On the scouting part, they seem to often choose more "boom or bust" guys or at least guys that are value picks in the sense that they dropped for reasons not always related to hockey (like Nikishin).
The Canes drafting philosophy: high ceiling, f*** the floor

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They’ll be fine without Hughes, since they only played him that much due to injuries in the first place. Especially if it’s only six weeks. With Pesce, Dillon and a healthy Siegenthaler they won’t need either kid that bad for awhile, though if Nemec is also out it does put some pressure on them to get off to a good start so they don’t rush the kids back.

Neither kid would’ve had a big role last year without injuries. They’ll need those young legs more as the season goes vs the first month or two.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I do think the Devils have a few guys with injury history to worry about. They should be good enough to overcome some of that but I didn't think they'd fall apart the way they did last year.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
They’ll be fine without Hughes, since they only played him that much due to injuries in the first place. Especially if it’s only six weeks. With Pesce, Dillon and a healthy Siegenthaler they won’t need either kid that bad for awhile, though if Nemec is also out it does put some pressure on them to get off to a good start so they don’t rush the kids back.

Neither kid would’ve had a big role last year without injuries. They’ll need those young legs more as the season goes vs the first month or two.
Is Hamilton out?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
1726510354122.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They really should reboot and trade Tkachuk to us for a bunch of prospects so they can be more competitive in the prospect tournaments.
I mean to be fair, they probably should reboot anyway. They aren't exactly competitive right now and seeing their prospects getting their asses handed to them in competition isn't a great sign about their pipeline, either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I mean to be fair, they probably should reboot anyway. They aren't exactly competitive right now and seeing their prospects getting their asses handed to them in competition isn't a great sign about their pipeline, either.
Meh. These tournaments typically dont mean anything about the quality of the group you’ve got. Bunch of dudes who’ve never played before, rosters in filled with tryouts guys, you often don’t have all your best guys playing and even if you did….its a bunch of guys who’ve never played together before. A bad goalie performance could mess things up and the point is to see how the individual players have developed. Despite the coaches trying to get them to play together they all know it’s a chance to show personal growth.

I don’t think management groups go into these tourneys worried about winning or losing, and don’t really care either way. It’s a scouting smorgasbord. We’ve got a great prospect group according to the talking heads…how did we do? The game I saw us play the goals I watched were scored by our tryout guys.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Meh. These tournaments typically dont mean anything about the quality of the group you’ve got. Bunch of dudes who’ve never played before, rosters in filled with tryouts guys, you often don’t have all your best guys playing and even if you did….its a bunch of guys who’ve never played together before. A bad goalie performance could mess things up and the point is to see how the individual players have developed. Despite the coaches trying to get them to play together they all know it’s a chance to show personal growth.

I don’t think management groups go into these tourneys worried about winning or losing, and don’t really care either way. It’s a scouting smorgasbord. We’ve got a great prospect group according to the talking heads…how did we do? The game I saw us play the goals I watched were scored by our tryout guys.
Oh, hey, I just made basically the same post in our tourney thread. It's a small data point and probably not a bad thing that the kids get into game action before heading into camp and games against the real pros. Not much more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad