Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't believe so. One of them was already playing overseas when the news broke. To my understanding, they're possibly facing jail time, so no team is going to sign them until that's settled.

• Wow
Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Not surprised, as we knew he was looking for a more full time national role while still collecting a full paycheck with the Canes, which is why we let him walk. He's always been looking for this kind of opportunity, good for him that he got it
It doesn't look coincidental that it's specifically Seattle and Amazon. Probably some synergy to be found there more than in some other combo.

Amazon owns the naming rights to their arena, and...

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Unofficial poll..but it's the offseason so...

Lots of love for the Avs, Panthers, Stars, Oil and Canucks (recency bias?) across all fanbases. Canes are neither liked or disliked too much except by their Metro peers. Liked mostly by their Wildcard Chaos mates.

We didn't make NYR's top 3 for most disliked. I am disappointed.

I am not at all surprised by who our fanbase likes most.

LoveHate.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Replace Florida with Montreal. I personally have never liked the Habs. Their fans are among the biggest mouthpieces for who "deserves" and doesn't deserve a team. I enjoy our team, be it the existence of our fans or the 2002/2006 playoffs still irking them among other things, annoying them for existing, winning a Cup, and proving the NHL can work in warmer climates.

They are the NYY of Hockey, the history is great and all but it isn't doing them any favors nowadays but their fans sure seem to think otherwise.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Replace Florida with Montreal. I personally have never liked the Habs. Their fans are among the biggest mouthpieces for who "deserves" and doesn't deserve a team. I enjoy our team, be it the existence of our fans or the 2002/2006 playoffs still irking them among other things, annoying them for existing, winning a Cup, and proving the NHL can work in warmer climates.

They are the NYY of Hockey, the history is great and all but it isn't doing them any favors nowadays but their fans sure seem to think otherwise.
Florida was up there for a while for me with the false diving accusations from guys like Olli Jokinen and Denis Potvin while being an extremely dishonest team themselves, but I haven't hated them that much in recent years, Mo being a big part of it. They're a really good team that's built right, and while Tkachuk is a bit of an ass and a little dirty, he generally stays on the right side of the line (cough Trouba cough).

So yeah, don't hate them that much these days. The Caps are just kinda pathetic, can't really hate them. I've definitely eased off on the Bruins too since we shook off our playoff problems against them.

So yeah, the Rangers are at the top of my list right now. After them, I don't really have any strong hates. I hate a lot of Habs fans, but I don't hate the Habs. I like a lot of their guys, especially Slafkovsky, and MSL was my favorite individual player in the NHL for an extremely long time, so I can't hate him. He's been very Rod-like as a coach, too. How can you hate that?

I guess the other team I'd put up there is the Leafs. If Habs fans ride on their history, Leafs fans are worse, since they don't have any history since the Cup stopped being merely a division championship. And the arrogance of their management and fans defending such a fundamentally unbalanced and flawed roster as if it's going to win multiple Stanley Cups- I do get a lot of pleasure in watching them fail.

So I'll go 1. Rangers, 2. Leafs. Don't know who #3 would be. Winnipeg for off ice reasons with how scummy their fans and media were in trying to make Atlanta fail, maybe?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
yeah right now NYR is an EASY #1 for me, from scumbag players to fans that have all the arrogance of Yankees fans when the team itself somehow has less success than the f***ing Mets.

Boston as an old Whalers guy but I don't have quite the same amount of hate for them as I do NYR, though I'm sure in part because I'm partial to the Celtics in pro shootyhoops.

No idea on #3, but it wouldn't be Florida even though they've employed some cheap players in recent years, though only Cousins on that Trouba tier of scumbaggery. Maybe Tampa as there's still some unfinished business there to me, but I don't have anything against the fans of either team. Hatred of the fanbase is almost a bigger part of it to me than hatred of the team itself unless they're some REAL scumbags (NYR, Broadstreet Bullies era Flyers).

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Don't know why the Preds aren't on our top three of favorite teams and we aren't on there's.

The broadcast teams usually do something together when we play them and while we were rivals in the Covid division I thought that made the respect even higher.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Don't know why the Preds aren't on our top three of favorite teams and we aren't on there's.

The broadcast teams usually do something together when we play them and while we were rivals in the Covid division I thought that made the respect even higher.
I'm thinking that maybe the animosity and vitriol between @skipnjump and @hockey diva has infected the two fan bases. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad