Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That's who I wanted.

He has yet to get past the AHL

I didn't follow the draft enough at the time, however, this is what can happen to major boom-or-bust prospects. Sometimes they really boom, like Aho, and sometimes they really bust, like Bittner. Neither of them were bad home-run swings to take at the spot that they went, it's just that one was a spectacular whiff and the other was a spectacular grand-slam. Doesn't make the strategy bad at all; in fact, Columbus has homered other times that they've went this strategy, like with Texier. The best teams have high OPS+ scores at the draft overall even if an individual pick busts for whatever reason. Huge guys that can skate well like Bittner are always appealing prospects. Laziness and inconsistency is what did him in.

Now, if you REALLY want to see an epic bust, read up about Tyler Biggs. From USNTDP captain to the 22nd overall pick to completely flaming out in the AHL and only ever sticking around in the ECHL. Quite the downward trajectory: Tyler Biggs at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You're not wrong. Remember a few years back when Buffalo traded every goalie that showed any semblance of competence when they were going after McDavid? Pepperidge Farms remembers

Well Chicago took a note out of that playbook and said "can't be accused of tanking by trading competent goaltending when you simply just never have competent goaltending".
The way that GMTM did everything to make it obvious what he was trying to do nearly backfired spectacularly because those players were awful but they did have pride. Nolan had them so motivated and those players played so hard that they were winning games at the end of the season and nearly passed Arizona

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Dunno who caught the Jets/Oilers game, but the last 5 minutes (OK, 6 minutes) was nuts.

Also, the Brent Burns trade comes back to bite the Wild... again.
I checked in when it was 2-1 with maybe 10 minutes left. A lot of fun ensued for sure. I was ready to bury Edmonton when they fell behind but they looked like they knew they couldn't lose that game from that point on.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Finnish publication Iltalehti, citing “inside sources”, claim that Patrik Laine was mistreated by forwards Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler and that Paul Maurice was “too weak to defy them”.
“Wheeler felt his position on the right side of the No. 1 chain was threatened because Laine was originally a right winger. Wheeler was also not enthusiastic that a young man from Finland would become almost as popular in Winnipeg as Teemu Selänne.
Outside the rink, Wheeler and Scheifele threw sand at Laine’s skates in almost every possible way. Wheeler in particular was a master at speaking behind the backs of a Finnish young man for things he certainly did not want in public.”

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Winter's cityside, crystal bits of snowflakes
All around my head and in the wind
I had no illusions that I'd ever find
A glimpse of summer's heatwaves in your eyes
You did what you did to me
Now it's history I see
Here's my comeback on the road again
Things will happen while they can
I will wait here for my man tonight
It's easy when you're big in the Peg

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
and beer league level goaltending.

I have watched a little of the last two Chicago games. Lankinen has been solid. When/if Toews and Dach get back they will be a tough out many nights.

Chicago won't compete for one of the four spots, but they could have a good bit to say about who does get in.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
On the technical side of the Laine trade, he will fly to Columbus on the private jet of the CBJ owner which will allow him to shorten the quarantine to 48 hours. Whether he plays later this week or next week, is up in the air.

NHL probably want to make these transitions to go smoothly as possible, to ensure that the trading of the SPCs will be a practical possibility during this season. Two week quarantine sounds quite prohibitive to me to block any meaningful trade.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Finnish publication Iltalehti, citing “inside sources”, claim that Patrik Laine was mistreated by forwards Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler and that Paul Maurice was “too weak to defy them”.
“Wheeler felt his position on the right side of the No. 1 chain was threatened because Laine was originally a right winger. Wheeler was also not enthusiastic that a young man from Finland would become almost as popular in Winnipeg as Teemu Selänne.
Outside the rink, Wheeler and Scheifele threw sand at Laine’s skates in almost every possible way. Wheeler in particular was a master at speaking behind the backs of a Finnish young man for things he certainly did not want in public.”

Scheifle did piss off Brett Pesce enough to get him to throw hands so maybe he is a complete asshole.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Scheifle did piss off Brett Pesce enough to get him to throw hands so maybe he is a complete asshole.

PLD will fit right in, then. It's the perfect team for him unless Winnipeg is too cold and "small" for his gigantic ego. As for Laine, if that story's true, I wouldn't be shocked if his career takes off in Columbus. It makes our life in the Metro a bit tougher, but that's OK: I'm sure we'll respond accordingly.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
PLD will fit right in, then. It's the perfect team for him unless Winnipeg is too cold and "small" for his gigantic ego. As for Laine, if that story's true, I wouldn't be shocked if his career takes off in Columbus. It makes our life in the Metro a bit tougher, but that's OK: I'm sure we'll respond accordingly.
If I were Laine, I'd be looking forward to hitting the open market at the end of the year. Its gotta be worrying that Columbus can't hold onto talent to save their lives. I'd be extremely hesitant to signing long term when they have done nothing to show they have a long term plan.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If I were Laine, I'd be looking forward to hitting the open market at the end of the year. Its gotta be worrying that Columbus can't hold onto talent to save their lives. I'd be extremely hesitant to signing long term when they have done nothing to show they have a long term plan.

Laine is an RFA with arbitration rights and 2 years of RFA eligibility left. He could just force arbitration and be a UFA in 2 offseasons. Doubt anyone would offer enough in an offer sheet to eliminate the risk that Columbus would match.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Columbus does have a long-term plan, though. They have had no problem at all with getting high-end role players like Atkinson/Foligno/Savard/Bjorkstrand to stick around for the vast bulk of their productive careers. Their ongoing quest is to find cornerstone pieces that want to stick around long-term. Their Plan A was Panarin and Duchene, but they either did not like Columbus (in Panarin’s case) or got overpaid in UFA (in Duchene’s case). They then hoped that PLD was finally the one, but he became a cancerous twat, as the English like to put it, and he forced his way out. Now they’re hoping that Laine/Werenski/Jones/Texier/Domi are different. Personally, I think that outside of Domi, they probably are.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm not at all sure Laine is foremostly or actively planning for his exit plan from Cbus. This is just not the time and the salary cap situation to go sign long-term papers if you think you can win big by betting on yourself and waiting for the corona vaccine to kick in.

Caveat: all statements made under the assumption that Ohio is the Tavastia of America and Laine feels right at home.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I didn't follow the draft enough at the time, however, this is what can happen to major boom-or-bust prospects. Sometimes they really boom, like Aho, and sometimes they really bust, like Bittner. Neither of them were bad home-run swings to take at the spot that they went, it's just that one was a spectacular whiff and the other was a spectacular grand-slam. Doesn't make the strategy bad at all; in fact, Columbus has homered other times that they've went this strategy, like with Texier. The best teams have high OPS+ scores at the draft overall even if an individual pick busts for whatever reason. Huge guys that can skate well like Bittner are always appealing prospects. Laziness and inconsistency is what did him in.

Now, if you REALLY want to see an epic bust, read up about Tyler Biggs. From USNTDP captain to the 22nd overall pick to completely flaming out in the AHL and only ever sticking around in the ECHL. Quite the downward trajectory: Tyler Biggs at eliteprospects.com
As someone that followed prospects more than I do now at that time I remember that draft well. That was always a completely f***ing terrible pick, you just flat out don't draft guys like that in the first round... ever. Poor skating, low offensive upside, etc. Biggs should have gone 3rd round at the earliest but "intangibles" and Burke being Burke made him a first round pick. Even more glaring is that at that spot Rakell who is similarly sized and a lot more skilled and with much better tools was available and coming off a solid draft season, and John Gibson was also available, someone I had solidly in the top 20 that draft.

Columbus does have a long-term plan, though. They have had no problem at all with getting high-end role players like Atkinson/Foligno/Savard/Bjorkstrand to stick around for the vast bulk of their productive careers. Their ongoing quest is to find cornerstone pieces that want to stick around long-term. Their Plan A was Panarin and Duchene, but they either did not like Columbus (in Panarin’s case) or got overpaid in UFA (in Duchene’s case). They then hoped that PLD was finally the one, but he became a cancerous twat, as the English like to put it, and he forced his way out. Now they’re hoping that Laine/Werenski/Jones/Texier/Domi are different. Personally, I think that outside of Domi, they probably are.
Duchene wasn't necessarily about being overpaid but more that he was only ever going to sign with one team if they wanted him: Nashville. It was why i was so hesitant about any talk of us acquiring him and why at the time Hanifin, Slavin, and Pesce would have all been completely off the table for him. I mean when a guy wears a hat with the Tennessee state flag on it in basically any occasion they're photographed off ice it's pretty f***ing obvious they'd be signing in Nashville when the Preds biggest need was at center.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
As someone that followed prospects more than I do now at that time I remember that draft well. That was always a completely f***ing terrible pick, you just flat out don't draft guys like that in the first round... ever. Poor skating, low offensive upside, etc. Biggs should have gone 3rd round at the earliest but "intangibles" and Burke being Burke made him a first round pick. Even more glaring is that at that spot Rakell who is similarly sized and a lot more skilled and with much better tools was available and coming off a solid draft season, and John Gibson was also available, someone I had solidly in the top 20 that draft.

The most hilarious thing about this comment is that Anaheim traded down with Toronto to get both Rakell and Gibson...for the pick that became Tyler Biggs. This is why scouting is important to invest in and why you don't panic-trade and draft solely for tough, gritty North American-ness in the 1st round.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

This makes no sense but somehow I believe it, and it's the kind of thing that makes me dislike the "real Hockey market" crap. Still stuck in the past, everything pre-Bettman was awesome, the players these days aren't robotic like they used to be, etc.

So what a player is going to be as popular as a player from years past, that's the freaking point of playing Hockey!

I'm a big fan of Texier and think he's a future All-Star. Jarmo traded his 1st in 2017 to Vegas to be rid of Clarksons contract and selected arguably one of the best players (to date) from the 2017 draft in the 2nd round. Tex will probably stick around awhile in Columbus.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The gigantic red flag in all of this is that if you ask any autograph/picture hounds who the single nicest guy in the entire league is every single one would say Laine. He is Adam Graves/Dale Murphy/Nolan Ryan level nice so if you aggravate him I suspect that you are jerk (and not the good kind of jerk like the denizens of this forum).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I'm a big fan of Texier and think he's a future All-Star. Jarmo traded his 1st in 2017 to Vegas to be rid of Clarksons contract and selected arguably one of the best players (to date) from the 2017 draft in the 2nd round. Tex will probably stick around awhile in Columbus.

I said this in this thread before, but to me one of the reasons why Jarmo was so comfortable with a Laine-centered package for PLD was because Texier was emerging this year as a competent option in a top-2 center role while few were watching. If they didn't like what they saw from him, they might've chose to deal PLD for a center of considerably lesser talent than Laine's, though I personally doubt it because I've always viewed Columbus' FO in a similar vein to Carolina's FO, where they just look for talent and fit it in later (see the Dougie acquisition when Pesce, Faulk, and TVR were on the right side, or in Columbus' case, the Jones/Johansen swap when they had plenty of defensemen and few centers).

Reactions: HisIceness

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
T

Huh?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's saying that in a 2017 re-draft (at this current, early stage), Texier likely gets drafted in the top-10, while Jarmo's scouting crew found him lurking in the 2nd round.

I guess "likely a top 10 pick" and "arguably one of the best" mean two different things to me.

I think Texier is a damn fine player and an exciting player to watch, but saying a guy with 19 points in 44 NHL games is "arguably one of the best players (to date) from the 2017 draft" is a stretch. For me, "to date" means what you have achieved so far and while he looks good and has a lot of promise, he really hasn't achieved anything so far. He may end up being worth of a top 10 pick though (or higher) down the road, just he hasn't accomplished it to date.

Reactions: A Star is Burns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad