GDT: Around The League 24/25. Preseason ends, the regular season begins!!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There's a point where I just can't take joy in the suffering of others anymore. This team really needs to put it together and quick because they aren't sneaking up on anyone this year.

I always take joy in a Leafs or Flames loss. In fact add Vegas to the list.

As for our Oiler team I was not expecting a fast start after seeing yet another blown preseason by yet another coach. But I didn’t anticipate 2-4-1 however the next 4 games they better turn it around. Not the toughest of competition.

Seems gutting the right side of the D and losing the finals in the last game is proving to be a tougher hurdle for the boys than they thought.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
the Oilers have been one of the favorites for a few years now...they haven't "snuck" up on anyone in a long time
I think last year because of their slow start they caught teams off guard and even I think the Dallas Stars underestimated their ability to play defense and smother them.

As for our Oiler team I was not expecting a fast start after seeing yet another blown preseason by yet another coach. But I didn’t anticipate 2-4-1 however the next 4 games they better turn it around. Not the toughest of competition.

Seems gutting the right side of the D and losing the finals in the last game is proving to be a tougher hurdle for the boys than they thought.
I think it's amusing that the Flames keep winning because I get to see the despair in some of my friends who root for them, knowing that the Flames will inevitably end up with a terrible draft pick.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wish we were as good as the Flames and Jets. :(

I guess we should have kept McLeod, Broberg and Holloway.

Maybe look at bringing Hall, Yam Fries and Pulju back as well.

I don’t think we would be any better with McLeod, Broberg and Holloway personally. But I think it raises another question. Seems like players who leave here are more productive. And the players that come here are less productive. Why?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Former Oiler Moe Lemay passed away a few days ago. Mostly known as a canuck he won a cup with the oilers. Sounds like with many former Nhlers he life went sideways after the game was done

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
I don’t think we would be any better with McLeod, Broberg and Holloway personally. But I think it raises another question. Seems like players who leave here are more productive. And the players that come here are less productive. Why?
Down by a goal or 2 other teams still play their bottom 6 until late in the third. Down by a goal or two the Oilers play their top line, with a few of the second line thrown in.
highest ice times last night

Oilers
Bouchard 28:37
McDavid 25:37
Draisitle 23:53
Ekholm 23:30
Nuge 23:05
Hyman 21:25

Canes
Slavin 24:42
Burns 24:23
Aho 22:49
Orlov 20:34
Necas 19:50
Gostisbehere 19:11

Keeping in mind the Canes Trailed for over 40 min.

Canes being able to spread the ice time across all skaters keeps them all engaged, likely gives more confidence. If I am a bottom 6 players on this Oilers team, I am likely playing to just keep the puck out of my net, as opposed to be willing to try to make an offensive skill play. If the other teams scores, I likely don't see the ice again for 5-8 min at least.

anyone who has played sports understands it is hard to stay engaged, when you spend more time on the bench, and you begin to second guess yourself.

McDavid/Drai need to only be around the 19-21 min/game. Nuge and Hyman should be 17-20 add a minute or two depending on special team roles in the specific game.

Its no super surprising guys that go to other teams and get more minutes, opportunities then they had in Edmonton go on to play better, or produce more.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

money-crying.gif

It might be time for them to get over it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Down by a goal or 2 other teams still play their bottom 6 until late in the third. Down by a goal or two the Oilers play their top line, with a few of the second line thrown in.
highest ice times last night

Oilers
Bouchard 28:37
McDavid 25:37
Draisitle 23:53
Ekholm 23:30
Nuge 23:05
Hyman 21:25

Canes
Slavin 24:42
Burns 24:23
Aho 22:49
Orlov 20:34
Necas 19:50
Gostisbehere 19:11

Keeping in mind the Canes Trailed for over 40 min.

Canes being able to spread the ice time across all skaters keeps them all engaged, likely gives more confidence. If I am a bottom 6 players on this Oilers team, I am likely playing to just keep the puck out of my net, as opposed to be willing to try to make an offensive skill play. If the other teams scores, I likely don't see the ice again for 5-8 min at least.

anyone who has played sports understands it is hard to stay engaged, when you spend more time on the bench, and you begin to second guess yourself.

McDavid/Drai need to only be around the 19-21 min/game. Nuge and Hyman should be 17-20 add a minute or two depending on special team roles in the specific game.

Its no super surprising guys that go to other teams and get more minutes, opportunities then they had in Edmonton go on to play better, or produce more.

Agreed with post. Between the management, coaching and leadership core, no one trust anyone to do their job. With this forward group, they should be able to run at least 3 lines (and fourth line has been serviceable so far). But they simply never do this. There’s nothing besides winning that pulls this group together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad