GDT: Around The League 24/25. Preseason ends, the regular season begins!!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Technically the offer sheets are their fault. They didn’t protect their assets and left them vulnerable.
Holloway seems to have caught them off guard, but there was indication for a long time Broberg wanted out. They should've dealt him when they had the chance.

Either that or not go out and spend money on other assets before as you say protecting their own. Hard to pin on Bowman either, as it's essentially the hand he was given with not a lot of options. Heck even them going and trading the 2025 first to take O'Reilly is putting some handcuffs on the guy in making deals during this year.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Sigh, the repetitive arguments . I’ll be honest. I don’t give a shit. They’re gone and they chose to be gone.

Other people can keep crying about it. I’m not going to.
The only thread I can safely get away from all this regurgitated crap is the NFL thread. Rest of the threads are all soiled, which is a shame. I guess if you can't make your point in one thread, why not do it in five different ones. Sigh.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The offer sheets aren’t their fault. Also Lavoie isn’t a great loss.

As long as his skating is terrible he’ll have a hard time making it in the NHL.

Losing Broberg is a sting, no matter how you look at it. He is someone who was brought up the Ken Holland way. Percolate in the minors, and force your way onto the big team. In this case it looked like it was working. 3rd pairing was all his, if Broberg came in and picked up from where he left off in the playoffs. Sure there are some holes in his game yet, but we were just starting to see where his game can go, and quite frankly so did the St. Louis Blues. They weren't going to throw all that money at him if they had much doubt that the overpaying gamble wasn't going to work.

We can debate how big a hole has been put in our blueline by letting him go, but we can all agree that there's a hole there now none the less, and it won't be easy to find a young damn to pluck there who is at the level of Broberg.

While we're at it, let's not give up on Emberson either. He's raw, and he has his own set of flaws, but his potential strengths are there, and could very well trend to be a 2nd pairing defenseman.

Hopefully Jackson/Bowman......(I still shudder at that name) can use the picks acquired to flip and find a decent young dman to get the youth movement back to where it was.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Losing Broberg is a sting, no matter how you look at it. He is someone who was brought up the Ken Holland way. Percolate in the minors, and force your way onto the big team. In this case it looked like it was working. 3rd pairing was all his, if Broberg came in and picked up from where he left off in the playoffs. Sure there are some holes in his game yet, but we were just starting to see where his game can go, and quite frankly so did the St. Louis Blues. They weren't going to throw all that money at him if they had much doubt that the overpaying gamble wasn't going to work.

We can debate how big a hole has been put in our blueline by letting him go, but we can all agree that there's a hole there now none the less, and it won't be easy to find a young damn to pluck there who is at the level of Broberg.

While we're at it, let's not give up on Emberson either. He's raw, and he has his own set of flaws, but his potential strengths are there, and could very well trend to be a 2nd pairing defenseman.

Hopefully Jackson/Bowman......(I still shudder at that name) can use the picks acquired to flip and find a decent young dman to get the youth movement back to where it was.
It wasn't just the Blue's. There were 4 other teams willing to give him the same offer sheet as the Blues but had to move some pieces to make the cap work.. Emerson has been looking better as the season goes on so I think we at least got a player with potential to be a #4 one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad