Around the League, 2024-25

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Yzerman should give Arizona a call about seeing if they would like a D man with the injuries they have right now. Maatta should work since we aren't playing him.

* I am pathetic, he should call Utah *

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yeah, we have no idea on how negotiations went down with Ghost, he was likely looking for a raise from his last year's contract and term from SY, once Stevie said no thank you before July 1, I suspect Ghost took the best deal he could with a contender, the deal Ghost signed with the Caines may not have even been extended to the wings, we just don't know.

Not that Gus tickles my fancy at all, but a 2 year deal is easier to manage as yutes start to arrive and plugs depart.

Exactly we more than likely only have to put up with him on TV for 1 year. After that Petry leaves and he can sit in the press box for his final year or ship him out in a deal as a throw in or something.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I get letting Ghost walk due to the combination of $$ and term. I get signing Gus to help fill the PP void. What I don't like is how much run Gus has had through 6 games after playing so poorly. Long-term this season you have to continue trying to work him in, I get that, but he's bad right now. Sit him. Having Edvinsson run a PP right now doesn't exactly thrill me, but give him the PP minutes. Give the ES minutes to AlJo.

I could deal with Gus on the pp, IF Seider is on pp1. I get that they want Gus on the PP, but it should be the scraps left over after Mo is done. I honestly have a feeling they are placating to Kane who has bragged up the passing and playmaking of Gus, none of which we have seen this season. Gus got a rep for being good for 1 season playing with prime Kane, and now we are stuck with them trying to make 6 years ago or whatever it was work.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
I could deal with Gus on the pp, IF Seider is on pp1. I get that they want Gus on the PP, but it should be the scraps left over after Mo is done. I honestly have a feeling they are placating to Kane who has bragged up the passing and playmaking of Gus, none of which we have seen this season. Gus got a rep for being good for 1 season playing with prime Kane, and now we are stuck with them trying to make 6 years ago or whatever it was work.
I sure hope they aren't placating to Kane. Like, ok, he gets to play with his buddy, that's nice for him, but what do the Wings get out of it? Kane has a secondary assist on a Larkin PP goal that didn't involve Gustafsson, and that's it for PP production from him. If Kane is dictating things at that level, I'd be trading him and firing Lalonde.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I sure hope they aren't placating to Kane. Like, ok, he gets to play with his buddy, that's nice for him, but what do the Wings get out of it? Kane has a secondary assist on a Larkin PP goal that didn't involve Gustafsson, and that's it for PP production from him. If Kane is dictating things at that level, I'd be trading him and firing Lalonde.

I hope I am wrong, but I find it hard to believe that an NHL coach can't see that Seider should be ahead fro pp time of Gus. Especially seeing as right now he isn't doing anything of note on the pp.

Reactions: jaster

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I hope I am wrong, but I find it hard to believe that an NHL coach can't see that Seider should be ahead fro pp time of Gus. Especially seeing as right now he isn't doing anything of note on the pp.
Having an offensive defenseman take PP1 duties makes a lot of sense to allow the actual best defenseman to be more fresh for all other aspects of the game. I get wanting other aspects to succeed before just throwing Seider out for 30 minutes a night

And I don't know why we're acting like Gus is getting a free pass or "run" or we're "placating"... hasn't he literally been benched for 33% of games?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

I think part of it is still that Seider is playing the most ES and PK minutes on the team, and the Wings are better for it in those key roles.

In a perfect world Seider would be out on PP1 but someone's got help him with those ES and PK minutes. If Ed keeps playing well and Gus keeps not playing well, then maybe that will shift. But the best scenario is still probably Gus on PP1 but actually generating offense so Seider can handle more PK and ES minutes.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Having an offensive defenseman take PP1 duties makes a lot of sense to allow the actual best defenseman to be more fresh for all other aspects of the game. I get wanting other aspects to succeed before just throwing Seider out for 30 minutes a night

And I don't know why we're acting like Gus is getting a free pass or "run" or we're "placating"... hasn't he literally been benched for 33% of games?
I actually thought he had only been benched 1 game, but looks like 2, so yeah. I'd still say he's getting a little run, given his poor play. He played last game because we had won the previous game and it's illegal to change a lineup after a win (you'll be jailed), but the previous game against the Rangers we lost and he had at least one bad penalty. I'd say the excess run he's gotten was being dressed after that game.

Regardless, the dude has mostly sucked lately, and I have little patience for defensemen who don't compete/have a low panic threshold/throw pucks away. I had time for Ghost last season because he had compete and was mostly responsible with the puck. I'm willing to give Gus more time because it's early in the season and he's probably still acclimating to the new team, but early returns are so ugly they'd make a freight train take a dirt road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad