Around the League, 2024-25

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
What sucks is I probably have to miss the season opener cause of this dumb hurricane. @Konnan511 Stay safe.
Yep, it's coming right for us. This morning it was a Cat 2, now it's a Cat 5. I am hoping that it loses steam as it gets close to landfall. My job is shutting down starting tomorrow, through the rest of this week.

Stay safe brother.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yep, it's coming right for us. This morning it was a Cat 2, now it's a Cat 5. I am hoping that it loses steam as it gets close to landfall. My job is shutting down starting tomorrow, through the rest of this week.

Stay safe brother.

Be safe. My brother has been a Florida resident for about 20 years and just moved to Bradenton in September, has not been a good couple weeks in terms of losing possessions and vehicles.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
curious what everyone else thinks of the Shesterkin apparently turning down 8/$88m. The guy has been great in the playoffs but that's a lot of coin to throw at a goalie who is going to be in his thirties for essentially the whole deal. I'd be looking at how hard they could game the cap this year and try to ride him to a Cup before tearing it down a bit (dealing Trouba and Panarin over the summer).

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
curious what everyone else thinks of the Shesterkin apparently turning down 8/$88m. The guy has been great in the playoffs but that's a lot of coin to throw at a goalie who is going to be in his thirties for essentially the whole deal. I'd be looking at how hard they could game the cap this year and try to ride him to a Cup before tearing it down a bit (dealing Trouba and Panarin over the summer).
I think 11M a year is a couple of millions too much for a goalie.

Reactions: Winger98

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ullmark going for 8.25 x 4 , some guy named Daccord getting 5x5... suddenly don't mind our goalie situation as much.

8.25 for a potential 1a-b type goalie is nuts. Daccord one season of good play locked up longer term, is dumb as well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
8.25 for a potential 1a-b type goalie is nuts. Daccord one season of good play locked up longer term, is dumb as well.

I think it just reflects how hard it is right now to find consistently good goaltending. If we had it last year we probably make the playoffs. If we get it this year, we'll be fighting for the playoffs. Ottawa is probably looking at the same thing and how they haven't had consistently good goaltending for awhile. Look at what Swayman got and what Shesterkin is reportedly asking for, too.

Daccord I can understand. He was very good last year, he's been very good in the ahl for a couple of years now...and $5m starts looking really cheap to lock that potential up for the next five years. And, if he does implode, you can sorta eat it.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Just looked at Stanley Cup odds and see that New Jersey is listed as the 2nd/3rd favorite??? I was confused by the love for them last year, but was sure people would learn their lesson by now.

They should be involved in the Detroit/Ottawa/Montreal/Buffalo slap-fights of "our prospects are better then your prospects and in 3-4 years, look out!", not legitimate contenders right now.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Just looked at Stanley Cup odds and see that New Jersey is listed as the 2nd/3rd favorite??? I was confused by the love for them last year, but was sure people would learn their lesson by now.

They should be involved in the Detroit/Ottawa/Montreal/Buffalo slap-fights of "our prospects are better then your prospects and in 3-4 years, look out!", not legitimate contenders right now.

were you in a coma for the season the year before that when they had 112 points or something?

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
were you in a coma for the season the year before that when they had 112 points or something?
No. But I am capable of looking at a team that had 72, 68, 45, 63 points in the 4 seasons before that and then look at their roster and say that 112 points was probably a fluke

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
No. But I am capable of looking at a team that had 72, 68, 45, 63 points in the 4 seasons before that and then look at their roster and say that 112 points was probably a fluke

they also had some of the best underlying advanced stats in the league and one of the best goal differentials in the league that year though

you may not want to personally give a team credit based off of one season but there's nothing that should be even remotely confusing about it

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Devils last season had Hamilton for just 20 games and also lost Hughes, Hischier and Meier for extended periods. Their D went through a huge transition, rookie D's played a lot. Barring injury or goaltending issues they shouldn't have any problem finishing top three in their division and staying clear of a WC battle. Being a top three favorite to win the SC though is a bit out of line.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
they also had some of the best underlying advanced stats in the league and one of the best goal differentials in the league that year though

you may not want to personally give a team credit based off of one season but there's nothing that should be even remotely confusing about it

Doesn't mean it couldn't be a one off. Not saying it is, but could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad