Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
IMO they'll be testing if an established team can pull off a Seattle/Vegas depth build. Curious to see it play out... and if it can be done in the East that'll be a bloodbath again.

I think Detroit's long-term contention ability will be more about Danielson and Kasper than Larkin. Seider (and their guys coming up) will be easily good enough on defense. They are absolutely stacked on defense going forward. Up front relies on Larkin taking another step (which I find very unlikely), or one of Danielson or Kasper being a top 20 center. I'm a big believer in both of them as prospects... but that is a pretty high level.
Yeah they’re fine on defense, but I am not sure it’s dynamic enough to make up for the potential lack of dynamism up front. Will be interesting if/how they can address that if Danielson and Kasper only reach a fringe top line level.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah they’re fine on defense, but I am not sure it’s dynamic enough to make up for the potential lack of dynamism up front. Will be interesting if/how they can address that if Danielson and Kasper only reach a fringe top line level.
My pure guess is they'll start packaging up their prospects for mid 20s guys who are on their way out of their franchises... more of the Debrincat sort of trades and likely at a higher level. They have so many guys who project to middle of the lineup sorts that they look bound to package some up to fill holes up the lineup.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It really is shades of Seattle and Vegas as they entered the league. Detroit has a couple higher upside guys than those teams, but the idea is the same. Loads of middle of the lineup depth.
The difference is that Detroit is playing in maybe the hardest division, while Pacific was trash then and it is trash now.

Well, maybe it's not "trash" now (Central is) but it's still meh.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The difference is that Detroit is playing in maybe the hardest division, while Pacific was trash then and it is trash now.

Well, maybe it's not "trash" now (Central is) but it's still meh.
Yeah I don't know if it will work, but it'll be interesting to watch. It would certainly be a feather in the cap of the depth over everything camp if Detroit did well.

Detroit also has two pieces that raise their ceiling compared to Seattle and Vegas when they came in. Larkin as a legit #1C (though short of elite) and Seider as a legit #1D with Norris upside. While keeping similar depth through the lineup.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I don't know if it will work, but it'll be interesting to watch. It would certainly be a feather in the cap of the depth over everything camp if Detroit did well.

Detroit also has two pieces that raise their ceiling compared to Seattle and Vegas when they came in. Larkin as a legit #1C (though short of elite) and Seider as a legit #1D with Norris upside. While keeping similar depth through the lineup.
I mean Seattle has Beniers who looks like a potential two way 1C. But still not the upside of a Seider that’s for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean Seattle has Beniers who looks like a potential two way 1C. But still not the upside of a Seider that’s for sure.
I think Beniers will get there (and maybe this season), but Larkin today is better than Beniers was last season by a long shot. When we are looking if the full depth build works, Detroit has some guys who can elevate a full depth build above what we have recently seen. Is it enough to push Detroit further? Or is it even enough in the East?

Reactions: The Abusement Park

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It really is shades of Seattle and Vegas as they entered the league. Detroit has a couple higher upside guys than those teams, but the idea is the same. Loads of middle of the lineup depth.

Lots of over the hill depth while Seattle was picking up prime aged players. Petry is gonna be done soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lots of over the hill depth while Seattle was picking up prime aged players. Petry is gonna be done soon.
Petry will be done soon... but Detroit is actually younger than Seattle by almost a year.

Also glass houses... Avs are the 6th oldest team in the NHL currently. It goes Pens, Caps, Wild, Rags, Stars, and then the Avs.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I've said it a lot of times this off-season, but I love what Detroit has done.

OutIn
Chiasson
Erne
Kubalik
Sebrango
Suter
Zadina
Compher
DeBrincat
Fischer
Kostin
Sprong
Hagg
Lindstrom
Oesterle
Gostisbehere
Holl
Petry
Hellberg
Nedeljkovic
Lyon
Reimer
2024 1st
2024 4th
2025 4th

They've given up very little to make their roster significantly better, and still have $30M in cap space next off-season.

Reactions: MaKarter

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've said it a lot of times this off-season, but I love what Detroit has done.

OutIn
Chiasson
Erne
Kubalik
Sebrango
Suter
Zadina
Compher
DeBrincat
Fischer
Kostin
Sprong
Hagg
Lindstrom
Oesterle
Gostisbehere
Holl
Petry
Hellberg
Nedeljkovic
Lyon
Reimer
2024 1st
2024 4th
2025 4th

They've given up very little to make their roster significantly better, and still have $30M in cap space next off-season.

Of that ~30m, 13-15m will go to Raymond and Seider so it isn't as much as it sounds... saying that though, they have plenty of prospects to step into roles being vacated by UFAs. They basically have zero risk of cap issues in the next 3-4 years unless Berggren goes all Bratt next season. If that happens, then maybe they have to find a way to dump one contract.

If Detroit fails and has to sell off, they'll get good rental prices out of Perron, Sprong, Ghost and maybe even Reimer. That's probably at least a 2nd and 2 3rds worth. If they succeed, they can own rental them while getting the younger players some actual playoff experience while not being hamstrung long-term.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
So many people think the brain is just filled with neurons, but that is so untrue. There are at least six major classes of cells that reside in our brains and throughout our nervous system.

Here is a list of them
Types-of-neuroglia_brain-physiology-cells-QBI.png

I bring this list up because there could be potential cancer in any one of them, but the worst and by far the deadliest is what happens to astrocytes. Glioblastoma is the disease that affects this type of cell and has as much of a 7% survival rate with many dying from it. Now I don't know which cancer he had, but he had to have a rare one to get it at such a young age (except if he lived half of his life on the Mississippi River in Russia) and one that was deadly for his body succumb to it at an age when his immune system was as good as ever.
It was glioblastoma for Amirov.

• Wow
Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It was glioblastoma for Amirov.
Yeah, that's tough. I've heard stories about surgeries where the surgeon pulls out almost half of a patient's brain due to that specific tumour, and there are cancerous cells that have not been triggered yet deeper within. it is a losing battle for neurosurgeons because they can go in and remove all the bad tissue quite easily, but there are places where it is already cancerous, but currently not showing the mechanisms of it until a month later. Then the patient will need to have another surgery due to the aggressiveness of it. Astrocytes are important because they help neurons function by providing support and control over molecular flow with chemicals. They are the main cell that makes up the blood-brain barrier (which prevents many molecules from crossing over into the nervous system).

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah, that team is going to be a rough night for any top heavy team that does not have their horses on full tilt.

I don't know jack shit about their coach though. They shoulda just went and got Gallant lol.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

It really is interesting. It's almost like they view a superstar salary....as a negative or something? As something that will cause a team to tear down a roster someday? Which is kind of what happened in Tampa, so.....

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
DGB had a fun exercise on the Athletic today. Create your favorite team's best roster using players whose jersey numbers total 100. I was so excited, because I immediately came up with....

(21) Forsberg - (19) Sakic - (29) MacKinnon
(22) Hannan - (8) Makar
(1) Varlamov

Then I read the part where in this one, he actually wants a legit LW and RW. Even though Foppa played LW and MacK has played RW, that roster's a no-go. I'm stumped. Can any of y'all come up with a clean 100 that actually uses wingers? I actually got a lefty and a righty for defense because the numbers worked out that way, but he wasn't specific, so you can probably use any two dmen regardless of handedness.

Let's see what y'all can come up with.

• Love
Reactions: UncleRisto

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
DGB had a fun exercise on the Athletic today. Create your favorite team's best roster using players whose jersey numbers total 100. I was so excited, because I immediately came up with....

(21) Forsberg - (19) Sakic - (29) MacKinnon
(22) Hannan - (8) Makar
(1) Varlamov

Then I read the part where in this one, he actually wants a legit LW and RW. Even though Foppa played LW and MacK has played RW, that roster's a no-go. I'm stumped. Can any of y'all come up with a clean 100 that actually uses wingers? I actually got a lefty and a righty for defense because the numbers worked out that way, but he wasn't specific, so you can probably use any two dmen regardless of handedness.

Let's see what y'all can come up with.
21 Forsberg - 19 Sakic - 12 Iginla
7 Toews - 8 Makar
33 Roy

I win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad