Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, reportedly Nylander told the same to the Leafs. How did that turn out?

I do think the Draisaitl contract will end up being reasonable. But just like with us with MacKinnon, there won't be some outrageous hometown discount. He will get paid.
Those discounts are "take the best offer on the free market and spread it over 8 years instead of 7".

Same kind of discount as Mack, Landy and Nuke.

Reactions: LOFIN

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Suzuki would be a dominant 2C, he's an amazingly smart, capable two-play player. I think he's a very good, albeit not super-elite, 1C.

IMO you can build around a guy like that, but they still need a gamebreaker or two elsewhere. I have a feeling this will be a make-or-break year for Dach, and he's gonna break...literally.
He’s really good, but he ends up in Aho territory for me, albeit not quite as good I don’t think. Definitely a 1C but not a cup winning 1C.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Yeah, reportedly Nylander told the same to the Leafs. How did that turn out?

I do think the Draisaitl contract will end up being reasonable. But just like with us with MacKinnon, there won't be some outrageous hometown discount. He will get paid.
What's the 250k overpaid equivalent for the oilers?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

giphy.webp
That's great news for the Oilers. It will make it much easier to trade his contract for futures after McDavid walks in UFA and the rebuild begins. :naughty:

Reactions: dahrougem2

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
What's the 250k overpaid equivalent for the oilers?
3 million or so, whatever the difference is between Nurses contract and expected value. Which that’s what it was a couple of years ago according to models that I have no ideas if they are or aren’t accurate lol.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman21

MwDUunZ.png

3j2XsCC.png

Man Bob McKenzie on TSN was notorious for indirectly spoiling the picks. You could tell that he knew a couple of minutes before the announce who the pick was and would start talking about how the guy would be a good fit (even when it was unexpected that they'd pick him). I hated it.
Not the worst thing, but stupid to do… especially when gambling can be involved.

The difference between Bob and Marek is letting a private individual know instead of saying it publicly.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not the worst thing, but stupid to do… especially when gambling can be involved.

The difference between Bob and Marek is letting a private individual know instead of saying it publicly.
Yea since the Nevada gaming commission is involved gambling may have occurred. In that's the case Marek could be in deep shit.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's always weird to me when there are big threads and controversies about media people and people post about how great they are and how much they like them. I only watch Altitude broadcasts and skip the intermissions, I have no idea who Jeff Marek is and don't really care.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Sports Gambling is great... it should be more incorporated into society...
I would make a bet on which month @BobRossColton gets fired from work for spending too much time on HFBoards making trade proposals during work hours

Sports Gambling is great... it should be more incorporated into society...
Or a bet on how many minutes after a disappointing loss it takes for Chet to post a diatribe about how everyone in the org should be fired and/or drawn and quartered

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not a let's ban gambling person... I'm 100% fine with people gambling. Live and let live so to speak. I do think we should pull it away from the public eye so much. It seems every other ad on a sports broadcast is gambling. Then you get announcers promoting gambling for 10% of the broadcast. Rip that away and I'm alright with the rest.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The main issue is the other advertisers disappeared.
They haven't disappeared as much as sport gambling is willing to pay a lot of money, because they make a lot of money. The business side of the sport dictates that the sports gambling money will win out. I'd argue it is a societal good to limit the exposure... much like cigarette ads getting banned. I don't care if people smoke, but it shouldn't be promoted. Frankly I'd say the same of any vices out there... booze, gambling, etc.

Though as we hit an election cycle here in the states, sports is about to be bombarded by political ads too. So each commercial break will be Draft Kings -> Trump/Kamala -> Bet 365 -> Senate Race -> Groove Subaru... then upon returning and update to the odds brought to you by FanDuel.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Really just feels like the nhl danced with the devil and sold their soul on this one to sports betting and now they’re going to be burnt by it for a while (Pinto/Marek)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad