Around the League - 2023/24

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You know there's a difference in how Tampa Bay plays and how Los Angeles played.
Sure a talent difference too. Many San Jose players loved it under McLellan. Winning is what matters more than anything else. He wins, players will like him. He loses, players will end up hating. That’s ultimately what matters.

FTR I don’t think he succeeds.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
McLellan stinks
This is the best move for them; hire somebody above-average with a respectable resume and no hidden human trafficking level scenario that can be revealed during his time there. That organisation really needs some stability and this is a stable move.

Roenick finally makes the Hall.
Hockey Hall or AVN Hall?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So at first I was cautiously optimistic, however I look at some of these jerseys they put in that video, which I would assume they chose "the best of the best", and some of them look a bit...off?

The Rangers one, for instance, the spacing of the letters don't appear to be equal? Perhaps it's the angle of the picture taken, perhaps combined w/ how it sits on the mannequin, but it looks a bit off.

The Avs jersey, though, appears good lol.

I do like that they are manufacturing them in Canada, with the "people who've been making NHL jerseys for 5 decades", provided that's true...

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Wonder how long before we'll have something like this

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
So at first I was cautiously optimistic, however I look at some of these jerseys they put in that video, which I would assume they chose "the best of the best", and some of them look a bit...off?

The Rangers one, for instance, the spacing of the letters don't appear to be equal? Perhaps it's the angle of the picture taken, perhaps combined w/ how it sits on the mannequin, but it looks a bit off.

I do like that they are manufacturing them in Canada, with the "people who've been making NHL jerseys for 5 decades", provided that's true...

Wonder how long before we'll have something like this

It doesn't sound like they changed them much. In reading a few of the various articles that have come out, the jerseys are still made by the same people that made the Adidas ones, and have been making them forever. All they have done is swapped out the NHL shield for a holographic one, and changed the Adidas logo to a Fanatics logo. They added more fabric in the lower sleeve area cause they were getting holes in the Adidas ones after players rubbed against the boards, and they removed the dimples from the shoulders. Otherwise, they are exactly the same. In addition, now you can buy the authentic jerseys. Adidas wouldn't sell them to the public.

Now, the Fanatics knockoff ones? I'm sure they will continue to be crappy like they have been for the last few years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly the tail end of the Adidas era was shit too. I bought a Mikko jersey a few years ago, no issue, I just recently bought a Cale jersey (alternate) and it's utter crap. Admittedly I bought the latter from a different outlet but neither is an authentic with the fight strap and all, and nearly all my jerseys are replicas, but this last one doesn't fit right at all and is by far the least comfortable one I've ever worn.

Nothing we can do but hope they get it as close to right as they can and as the Athletic article implies, that they learned their lesson from the disastrous MLB rollout (and Nike should stay as far away from hockey as possible). I just wish we could go back to an era where hockey just realizes they had a good thing in the classic hockey jersey and quit trying to emulate football with all these stupid futuristic materials and stitching. It's a hockey jersey, no one cares about shit like "it'll make them faster!" or "it's 10 percent lighter!". It just needs to fit well and look good on the ice.

Whatever the case this already looks better than the garbage that was the Rbk EDGE era.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Never trust Fanatics. Just look at their hat situation for the WCF, ECF, and Stanley Cup Final Florida Panthers Champion hats. They're Pejorative Slured and looked to be designed by that Neutrality Planet from Futurama. Brutal stuff.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Back to the future

Thank the Hockey Gods they FINALLY dropped the awful number/nameplate font on the back. Those always looked like they were created by a seven-year-old.

Those are pretty awesome. I still wish they'd come to their senses and bring back the purple-and-gold (oh sorry...FORUM BLUE :shakehead ) getups but it just ain't happening. Only verrrrry minor complaint is that they don't have the sleeve numbers right on the stripe. I always liked the way that looked on the Gretzky-era sweaters. Otherwise these are damn near perfect.

Wayne-Gretzky-Kings.jpg

Roenick finally makes the Hall.

Before Mogilny? Bah...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Before Mogilny? Bah...

I thin the Mogilny thing has become a bit of a meme at this point. He should be in the Hall when some others are, but this idea of him as a shoe in is a bit odd to me. He didn't cross 500g, barely over 1000 points, didn't play 1000 games. His claim to fame is one Richard (before it was really a thing), a Bing, triple gold, and being the first Russian to defect. That resume just isn't super strong. Roenick got 500 goals and 1200 points (top 50 all time in both)... 1300 games.

Roenick hit the milestone numbers, Mogilny came up just short.

IMO the crux of the Mogilny entrance is that he didn't hit the milestones and wasn't an elite player outside of a couple seasons. His case is not too dissimilar from Fleury. Both had high peaks, but didn't hit the big numbers. Tkachuk should honestly be in the Mogilny conversation (so should Verbeek). Then if those 4 are in, what does that really say for the Hall (ignoring the whole Osgood situation)?

(I do think Mogilny and Tkachuk both end up in)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Any sense of prestige, hour or status the HHOF ever had evaporated when they let Kevin Lowe in so it doesn't really matter, but despite his lack of individual accolades or stats Weber spent the best part of a decade as the kind of guy everyone just assumed would be in there. He did this playing for Nashville. He's fine.

Reactions: Chiarelli

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The fact that Shea Weber gets in before Mogilny is laughable.

Shea Weber was a really good top pairing defensemen for a really long time, but he has no major individual awards and no Stanley Cups to his name.

If THAT guy is getting in, Mogilny should be walking in.

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How do we feel about Weber being in the Hall? Good international resume I suppose.
The rule of thumb is you need to be a top 5 player at your position for 5-10 years. The shorter that timeframe, the higher the peak needs to be. Then you need to hit statistical milestones. You needs to probably check all those off the box if you don't win a big trophy (Norris, Hart, Vezina, etc)... a big role in a Cup team and triple gold tend to help, but not be items to push a guy over.

For at least 8, but arguably 10 years Weber was a top 5 player at his position. He did not get a Norris though and didn't win a Cup. Good international resume. Which goes back to stats. For a defensemen 200g and 600p tends to be the key ones, but the better defensively, the lower guys can be on that threshold. Weber got the 200g, but didn't get the 600p. He played over 1000 games which helps, especially as a defensemen.

IMO he's in that same realm as Verbeek, Tkachuk, Mogilny, etc. He's very good, but right on the edge of Hall worthy. If we go by comparisons to some others who are now in, he should probably be in (as with those other guys). The 1st ballot side of it is probably more of the uproar.

My 1000' view... Weber will give more arguments to other defensemen of the recent generation to get in. Suter, Carlsson, and maybe even Pietrangelo. Roenick is simply a continuation of checking off the list of guys who hit milestones. Turgeon was last year. Roenick was this year. Tkachuk will be next year. We're solidly down the Hall of Very Good (have been for a long while), these just continue that.

ROR is selling his house in Ontario...never understood the appeal for those mansions.

I mean that view is pretty great, but how close is it to a Tim Horton's? Can I make 8 beers deep?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad