Around the League - 2023/24

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
These are temp jerseys, not too hard to understand that. Actually, it's the jersey stolen from the Winnipeg Ice via the WHL.

That might be 100% true, but you're just one person in a galaxy of a trillion stars in a universe of quadzillmillionbillion stars.
Whether they’re temp or not has nothing to do with the design being boring. And I’m not familiar with the Winnipeg Ice so I’ll take your word for it but just ripping off a team with a boring jersey makes it even worse…

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wait they actually went with Utah HC?! Going for that EU audience.
Even if you hate the concept of "City X Hockey Club", that's still better than the f***ing abominations they have for options. Mammoth? barf. Yeti? barf. Venom? Are you kidding me. You will get used to UHC, and you will love it. Fans of Washington Commanders already miss WFT

I might be the only person in the universe who thinks those colours and logo are shit but the name itself is fine.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Even if you hate the concept of "City X Hockey Club", that's still better than the f***ing abominations they have for options. Mammoth? barf. Yeti? barf. Venom? Are you kidding me. You will get used to UHC, and you will love it. Fans of Washington Commanders already miss WFT

I might be the only person in the universe who thinks those colours and logo are shit but the name itself is fine.

Crazy talk. Mammoth would have been an awesome name. UHC sounds like the name of a hospital system.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Crazy talk. Mammoth would have been an awesome name. UHC sounds like the name of a hospital system.
Absolutely f***ing shit. What is it with you North Americans and your gimmicky kindergarden style names? I bet you also have nicknames at your jobs like "warehouse packers" or "financial sector shadows" for your co-workers. Why?

Some of the NA sports teams names are fine, actually have a story connected to them. Most of them are a nickname for a sake of a nickname.

Utah Hockey Club actually sounds like a sports team, not a kindergarden club.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Absolutely f***ing shit. What is it with you North Americans and your gimmicky kindergarden style names? I bet you also have a nickname like "warehouse packers" or "financial sector shadows" for your co-workers. Why?

Some of the NA sports teams names are fine, actually have a story connected to them. Most of them are a nickname for a sake of a nickname.
Almost any name is better than "hockey club", which isn't a name.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Almost any name is better than "hockey club", which isn't a name.
It is a name. An official sounding name, not a kids kindergarden nickname.

Obviously, if sports are just all fun and games for kids, then that's fine... Over here in Europe, sports are serious business though, not just something we made for our kids entertainment.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Absolutely f***ing shit. What is it with you North Americans and your gimmicky kindergarden style names? I bet you also have nicknames at your jobs like "warehouse packers" or "financial sector shadows" for your co-workers. Why?

Utah Hockey Club actually sounds like a sports team, not a kindergarden club.

Should have just called them "Hockey Team". What's more official than that?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Should have just called them "Hockey Team". What's more official than that?
Pierre Dorion on being optimistic: We're a team on Make a GIF

Wasn't very inspiring the last time it was tried.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
"Hey, you catch the Colorado Football Club game?"

"No, I'm not really into the MLS."

"No, no, the Colorado American Football Team game."

"Oh, I'm more into the Colorado Hockey Club, or the Colorado Basketball Team, myself."

"I'm surprised Dallas is losing the series so badly."

"Huh, the Dallas Hockey Club lost in the conference finals. Oh you meant the Dallas Basketball Team."

"...Why didn't they just give each team a different name?"

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

"Oh, I'm more into the Colorado Hockey Club, or the Colorado Basketball Team, myself."

"Huh, the Dallas Hockey Club lost in the conference finals. Oh you meant the Dallas Basketball Team."

How do you guys fare with Olympics when US Athletes are competing? Are you always mixing up the swimmers and long jumpers?

Or, maybe, it depends on the context?

You know how I deal with this stuff with my multisport club?

"Want to go to a TPS game on the weekend?"
"Football or hockey?"
"Hockey"

Man, so tough

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah, and that context is the tradition of branding, which didn't exist when they were picking team names in Europe in 1880.
Like it was pointed out in the earlier pages "branding" of the NA style was tried in the 90s and thank f***ing God went out of fashion because everyone hated it. You don't have to be from the 1800s to pick a smart name for your sports club.

Frankly, even nick name style of names can work, if they really have a proper connection and a reason to exist. But most are just nick names for the sake of nick names. My crusade for Utah Hockey Club mostly stems from the fact that all of their other proposals are God awful. Like really, really awful.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Like it was pointed out in the earlier pages "branding" of the NA style was tried in the 90s and thank f***ing God went out of fashion because everyone hated it. You don't have to be from the 1800s to pick a smart name for your sports club.

Frankly, even nick name style of names can work, if they really have a proper connection and a reason to exist. But most are just nick names for the sake of nick names. My crusade for Utah Hockey Club mostly stems from the fact that all of their other proposals are God awful. Like really, really awful.
Guess if "North American style branding" is needed in North America, though?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

This isn't a team problem, this is an other people for liking things that aren't hockey problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Avs91

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I feel like there is more dignity to names like "xxx football club" or "xxx united".

But in a league where every team is named after an animal, force of nature etc., it would be weird to have one team that stands out too much by calling themselves a "hockey team".

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
This conversation makes me think of SVEN in himym (they’re not a firm, they’re a collective), they think they’re so cool with their baguettes and Eiffel Tower… :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad