Around the League - 2023/24

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Devils wanted Berube but he picked the Leafs so they go with Keefe instead.

I'm sure there's somewhere a bad analogy about this situation and relationships.

Best I could come up with was this....

Leafs.jpeg

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Well, Z certainly didn't leave Calgary in friendly terms haha

That’s awesome. Z got the benefit of showing up in the year they finally looked good again and the bandwagon filled back up. Canucks have a huge fanbase it’s just they’re filled to the brim with fair weather bandwagoners but when they get on board they really go full tilt

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have no idea why people are surprised at how quickly the NHL coaching carousel goes.

IE Torts is already tied for the 6th most tenured coach in the league.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I have no idea why people are surprised at how quickly the NHL coaching carousel goes.
I don't think it's surprising. Flat cap has two effects: less manoeuvrability for the teams and two, more teams with expectations. I have a feeling there has been more turnaround in the last 24 months compared to to previous years. But like I said, just a feeling. Maybe it has always been this way statistically.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

IE Torts is already tied for the 6th most tenured coach in the league.

Nope, not surprised at all. And we know at some point those four will get fired. In fact I'm willing to bet Sullivan will be the first one, probably as early as next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's surprising. Flat cap has two effects: less manoeuvrability for the teams and two, more teams with expectations. I have a feeling there has been more turnaround in the last 24 months compared to to previous years. But like I said, just a feeling. Maybe it has always been this way statistically.
It is just a feeling... there was a pause right after the covid return where teams were not willing to have nearly as much dead cash. Now that the appetite is back, teams are just more willing to make changes. The average tenure over the last 20+ seasons is something around 2.5-2.6 seasons and that has been greatly skewed by the Detroit, Carolina, and Nashville's. Basically coaches get 2 years and then the 3rd is where the itchy trigger finger comes in.

Nope, not surprised at all. And we know at some point those four will get fired. In fact I'm willing to bet Sullivan will be the first one, probably as early as next year.
I don't think Sully will be fired... he will be 'allowed' to go coach somewhere else. I could see him and Coop both leaving their current teams next offseason. Though Coop is probably 2 seasons in reality. IMO Bednar is a 1st round exit or missed playoffs from a change. Could be next year, could be 3.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think Sully will be fired... he will be 'allowed' to go coach somewhere else. I could see him and Coop both leaving their current teams next offseason. Though Coop is probably 2 seasons in reality. IMO Bednar is a 1st round exit or missed playoffs from a change. Could be next year, could be 3.
I could see that. Bednar most assuredly would get the boot if they miss entirely. A first round exit would likely spell his doom, I could see him maybe surviving another 2nd round exit but I imagine they'd play the "fire the assistants" card then.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dundon just operates so oddly for the NHL.
I gotta admit I wasn't the biggest Waddel fan in Atlanta but outside of the Kotkaniemi fiasco he did a good job in Carolina, especially under those conditions.

He does seem like the kind of GM the Jackets would hire if ownership wants to meddle in hockey decisions though.

Reactions: henchman21

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The dam has broken... For the first time, the NCAA has approved a model that will pay student athletes directly. I wonder if this will trickle down to hockey. I know the real cash cows are basketball and football, but some of the top schools like DU, Michigan, and BU probably do get good revenue out of their hockey programs.
The big hockey schools will simply pay up now. It was already starting with NIL, but this will just advance it. DU has a decent hill to climb here. The Big 10 schools will have a massive advantage.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wonder what, if anything, this means for the CHL. Canadians couldn't go get that NIL money but I assume they'll be eligible to get paid by schools.

Reactions: Phil Raitt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad