GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I wanna see Oilers and Canucks 2nd round. Have a feeling it would be a reverse of the regular season sweep.
EDM is not the same team at the start of the season so throw out those games. And neither does the final game to pretty much close out the season. EDM was in the middle of 6 in 9 days and with McDavid out. I want to see them face a rested playoff Oilers team. No shot they would be able to handle playoff McDavid. They also would not be able to handle EDM's PP either. The Nucks are lucky the Preds have such a dreadful PP. If it was even remotely decent it would have been curtains by now. I'm still irked that they are up in the series as well. Nashville is the team that should be up 3-2 right now. lol. If they do face each other, as long as Skinner can hold the fort I think EDM will be too much to handle.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How did that demoralization go for the predators in game 5 vs the Canucks? Blow a 2 goal lead late and lose in OT, goes to Vancouver facing elimination and won it.
That’s not near the same demoralization as the Kings are facing against us. This is year 3 remember. And for the Preds that Sissons situation could also be used as a rallying cry that they had the game in the bag and one mistake cost them.

With LA, they’ve tried everything to beat us, including playing a perfect defensive game and all the losses in the other series. And it may not even matter whether they are demoralized or not, if McDavid or Draisaitl decides they just want to take over. That’s also got to be in their heads.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
As expected Jets put out by arguably the strongest team in the West. Jets just can't seem to elevate their game for whatever reason.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Would have liked him here. But instead we needed to win face offs in the bottom 6.

Hollands exact words at the trade deadline and his number one priority: “ideally we want a right shot guy that can win some draws… he can be a lefty too.”

They haven't had to do it yet, but when they run McDrai I get the feeling they don't trust RNH at centre vs. elites.

Which considering his playoff history, that's not a wrong bet.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
As expected Jets put out by arguably the strongest team in the West. Jets just can't seem to elevate their game for whatever reason.
Everyone I talked to before that series thought the Jets would win easy. I didn’t buy it. It doesn’t matter what goalie the Avs face, their forwards and Makar are so elite it simply doesn’t matter than much who is in net. These guys also have champion pedigree, they can dial it up more than just about anyone when they need to.

That being said I think we’d wipe the floor with them, we’re just deeper and fairly equal when it comes to the top end talent.

Reactions: Satire

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

They play that defensive style that really can’t elevate. It’s one way hockey that can be broken down by a good opponent in a 7 game series. It will be a serious blow to their season ticket drive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dusty just said something and I didn't catch it all, but sounds like Jets set a record for being team to have 5 goals allowed in 5 straight games or something lol

Either way. Goaltending was an issue for them.

Woodley once again pointed out getting Helly to move side to side is his weakness going into the series and Colorado exploited it. But Winnipeg also failed to exploit what was probably one of the worse starting goalies.

Pionk also looked like absolute shit yesterday and for a team that relies on their top two pairings so much that's not good. Funny how they went from so stacked on the backend to weak and paying Schmidt 6mil to be a 3rd pairing defender who looked like he can barely handle that.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This is the correct answer. Jets looked like defenseless ghosts. If the purpose of hockey is ineffectual non dangerous rushes that only serve to get you caught deep constantly than they owned. because thats all that happened with the lol top line leading the way.

The Jets were so arrogant in series they thought they could trade chances and rushes with the AV's. Look at the 5th goal tonight and it shows how Jets were burned all series. They got a rush this isn't dangerous, but is risky coming back, the commit to it anyway, easy odd man rush, Colorado scores on a goal they really rarely miss.

The Winnipeg Jets are an absolute waste of Hellebuck. its a shame for him. Maybe he likes golf.
this series remind me of the Oilers-Flames series in 2022 where the games were played on Oilers terms...Flames tried to trade chances with the Oilers and got burned time and again
same with the Jets

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They play that defensive style that really can’t elevate. It’s one way hockey that can be broken down by a good opponent in a 7 game series. It will be a serious blow to their season ticket drive.
It was broken from game 1:laugh:

There is a way to beat Helly and once WPG saw that Colorado had figured this out they needed to make adjustments to their system.

Although Colorado has an offense like us that can attack with such speed that essentially causes teams to breakdown and go dumb. MacKinnon pulled some McDavid like moves yesterday as well that Jets had no answer for. The one back check he made was embarrassing that he was able to catch the guy so quick

Seeing Nichushkin and Lehkonen scoring at will is pretty scary too. Just overall getting goals and points throughout that lineup. Heck Cogliano has 3 apples and plays the least of any regular.

this series remind me of the Oilers-Flames series in 2022 where the games were played on Oilers terms...Flames tried to trade chances with the Oilers and got burned time and again
same with the Jets
Was that the same series that Sutter thought it would be smart to have Lucic on the ice against McDavid and even when he had a chance to change Lucic stayed on the ice :laugh:

Talk about the biggest mismatch you can have for speed versus a guy stuck in concrete

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Jets finished the season tied for 1st in GA. Kings were 3rd. The offensive power house teams like us and the Avs are winning the battle right now.

Thinking when we face the Avs it’s gotta be full on fire vs. fire. Both teams are going to get their cookies. Our guys have to out produce their guys. McD vs MacK. Drai vs. Rantanen. Hyman vs Nuke. Nuge vs. Lehkkonen. Bouch vs Makar.
If we play Colorado, I think the key matchups are McDavid vs Makar and Colorado forwards vs Nurse/Ceci.

Reactions: TheNumber4

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
The Canucks and Predators series is a contest to see who can choke more games at this point.

Also, he Avalanche look absolutely terrifying. We're probably screwed if we end up having to meet them.

Reactions: McDrai

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Canucks and Predators series is a contest to see who can choke more games at this point.

Also, he Avalanche look absolutely terrifying. We're probably screwed if we end up having to meet them.

Find a way to manage the 5-8 minute outbursts from the Avs where they roll downhill on teams and score 2+ goals rapidly and they are quite beatable. Easier said than done, but those momentum swings are when they pounce so if teams can manage them they can get on top.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What's the deal with the surrender towel? Isn't that the opposite of what you would want as a symbol?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it. The fact that a moment where the coach theatrically whined about officiating is the signature moment for that franchise is absolutely comical.

Whining about the refs as a signature moment couldn't be any more appropriate for the Nucks.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I didn't see a second of Game 4, but am I missing something here? Thompson is arguably the only reason they're in this series still.

He didn’t have a horrible game by any means. Definitely not to the extent of sitting out tonight’s game… I’m not too surprised though as Vegas is cutthroat, particularly with their goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad