GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I found the high water mark for Flames hockey.

EP48gbxWsAAl2il

it all went downhill from there.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Off topic but I feel very badly for that 19 year old boy who had his whole life in front of him. He was scared to go but decided to please his Dad for Father's Day--a terrible tragedy for all of the families involved.
Kid spent 500k for his dads father day gift and all i did was take my dad to Boston Pizza.....

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Sometimes taking the money has its downside and those three are learning this lesson the hard way.

Chuckle to myself now thinking about how Kadri was crowing about how he was going to bring the cup back to his hometown the next year as a Flame and how Weegar signed long term there because he was seduced by the “winning culture.”

f***ing losers.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Touchy subject. SO mods can and will delete this I suspect. While the NHL decided to do away with supporting a lot of things on and off the ice. The Oilers announced they will still do their thing. My guess the NHL will try to step in. For me this is a time for Canadian based teams to show that they are different from their southern partners and remind people, Canadians do not think like Americans on many topics.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Touchy subject. SO mods can and will delete this I suspect. While the NHL decided to do away with supporting a lot of things on and off the ice. The Oilers announced they will still do their thing. My guess the NHL will try to step in. For me this is a time for Canadian based teams to show that they are different from their southern partners and remind people, Canadians do not think like Americans on many topics.

I don’t think it’s the role of any NHL team to force any NHL player to wear something they don’t want to wear whether I like the cause or not. The whole thing is ridiculous, they’re still having the theme nights, just not the warmup jerseys. It makes complete sense as a compromise, but we all know that certain folks don’t understand the concept. The Canada/US thing is silly too because I’m not sure a single American player backed out of wearing the jerseys, but some Canadians sure did.

I’m not sure when wearing a theme warmup jersey (that not all teams had in the first place) became sacrosanct, but the reaction to this is silly. They’re jerseys for Christ sakes and the theme nights are still ongoing. The over reaction is exactly why the NHL dropped this, but people still seem unable to recognize it.

At the end of the day I think that certain people like to use the jerseys to vet which NHL players are guilty of wrong think and now they’re mad they don’t get the chance anymore.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don’t think it’s the role of any NHL team to force any NHL player to wear something they don’t want to wear whether I like the cause or not. The whole thing is ridiculous, they’re still having the theme nights, just not the warmup jerseys. It makes complete sense as a compromise, but we all know that certain folks don’t understand the concept. The Canada/US thing is silly too because I’m not sure a single American player backed out of wearing the jerseys, but some Canadians sure did.

I’m not sure when wearing a theme warmup jersey (that not all teams had in the first place) became sacrosanct, but the reaction to this is silly. They’re jerseys for Christ sakes and the theme nights are still ongoing. The over reaction is exactly why the NHL dropped this, but people still seem unable to recognize it.

At the end of the day I think that certain people like to use the jerseys to vet which NHL players are guilty of wrong think and now they’re mad they don’t get the chance anymore.
the thing about this overreaction. We had the problem with a Canadian team and they said fine. For me, the NHLS reaction, goes straight into them catagory of the NHL not understanding the difference between the USA and Canada. Here in the UK, all teams have Pride night and my first phone call was to one of the PR guys from the Cardiff Devil asking if they would be cancelling theirs? His response? WHy?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
the thing about this overreaction. We had the problem with a Canadian team and they said fine. For me, the NHLS reaction, goes straight into them catagory of the NHL not understanding the difference between the USA and Canada. Here in the UK, all teams have Pride night and my first phone call was to one of the PR guys from the Cardiff Devil asking if they would be cancelling theirs? His response? WHy?

I don’t understand what you’re talking about.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It is about the Fringe closed minded Crazies vs the sane people

If you stop trying to essentially use a labeling system to try and figure out which NHL players are “fringe close minded crazies” to get riled up about you’ll be able to enjoy the theme nights that are still ongoing much, much more without the distraction.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I couldn't disagree more with your position on this. It is not a compromise but a poorly thought out over reaction to avoid some bad publicity from a few of its players. I think there is ample room for the league to defend the rights of the few players who choose not to participate. But I doubt that that is even the real reason behind this decision. It is a fear of a Bud Light style boycott over the negative publicity associated with pride jerseys. But to mask this fear they have banned all special jerseys.

In the end the NHL is a business. They have a right to decide how they want to conduct their affairs. But for me this is just another example of how poorly the League operates.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If you stop trying to essentially use a labeling system to try and figure out which NHL players are “fringe close minded crazies” to get riled up about you’ll be able to enjoy the theme nights that are still ongoing much, much more without the distraction.
I am talking about the bigger culture difference between the USA and most other western countries. If the individual does not want to wear the jersey he has the right. The NHL has seen what has happened to Bud Light and a couple other companies who the as group(not individuals) decided to go bat shit crazy, destroy things and tried to force they way of thinking one people--and it looks like they won. Nice to see the oilers will not be bullied. Hopefully other Canadian teams will follow suite

turns out Team Evil is not backing down

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I couldn't disagree more with your position on this. It is not a compromise but a poorly thought out over reaction to avoid some bad publicity from a few of its players. I think there is ample room for the league to defend the rights of the few players who choose not to participate. But I doubt that that is even the real reason behind this decision. It is a fear of a Bud Light style boycott over the negative publicity associated with pride jerseys. But to mask this fear they have banned all special jerseys.

In the end the NHL is a business. They have a right to decide how they want to conduct their affairs. But for me this is just another example of how poorly the League operates.

I don’t think it’s the NHLs role to make players wear something they don’t want to and I also don’t think it’s their role or desire to back up players that opt out. Creating a distraction for literally no reason.

This way everyone can enjoy the theme nights without the distraction of a public blood letting of players that opt out, which takes away from the purpose of the night to begin with.

I am talking about the bigger culture difference between the USA and most other western countries. If the individual does not want to wear the jersey he has the right. The NHL has seen what has happened to Bud Light and a couple other companies who the as group(not individuals) decided to go bat shit crazy, destroy things and tried to force they way of thinking one people--and it looks like they won. Nice to see the oilers will not be bullied. Hopefully other Canadian teams will follow suite

turns out Team Evil is not backing down

Sounds like all teams will continue to have Pride Nights without the distraction of trying to figure out which players aren’t enthusiastic participants. Seems like a perfect outcome.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don’t think it’s the NHLs role to make players wear something they don’t want to and I also don’t think it’s their role or desire to back up players that opt out. Creating a distraction for literally no reason.

This way everyone can enjoy the theme nights without the distraction of a public blood letting of players that opt out, which takes away from the purpose of the night to begin with.
I agree that the NHL should not make players wear jerseys that they don't wish to wear. But in the same way if a team wants to show its support for a group it values why should they not be able to do so in a manner that they choose. The jerseys have not been universal prior to this ruling. But should the Oilers wish to have jerseys in support of breast cancer while the Leafs want to have a pride jersey why should they not have the right to do so. Wearing these in warm-ups is much more impactful for the communities being supported than having the jerseys but banning the most public display.

You call it a compromise, I call it a cop out.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree that the NHL should not make players wear jerseys that they don't wish to wear. But in the same way if a team wants to show its support for a group it values why should they not be able to do so in a manner that they choose. The jerseys have not been universal prior to this ruling. But should the Oilers wish to have jerseys in support of breast cancer while the Leafs want to have a pride jersey why should they not have the right to do so. Wearing these in warm-ups is much more impactful for the communities being supported than having the jerseys but banning the most public display.

You call it a compromise, I call it a cop out.

Why are jerseys so critical? Not all teams even wore them to begin with. The nights are ongoing. I’m sure certain players are welcome to express their support for whatever the cause on their accord.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Haha. Good lord man get a grip.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Why are jerseys so critical? Not all teams even wore them to begin with. The nights are ongoing. I’m sure certain players are welcome to express their support for whatever the cause on their accord.
I believe they make more money for whatever the cause is by auctioning off player used warmup jerseys. Not sure how much more, but apparently more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad