GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Let the flames continue to implode.
SMD CP lurkers.

laughing-star-wars.gif
What a time to say "f***, we need to blow it up gentlemen and try to be competitive for when the new barn is open."

And Connor Bedard was right there to tank for. Ah Calgary, a season late and $10 short as usual. Couldn't occur to a more deserving franchise with all the shit their fanbase slings about.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What a time to say "f***, we need to blow it up gentlemen and try to be competitive for when the new barn is open."

And Connor Bedard was right there to tank for. Ah Calgary, a season late and $10 short as usual. Couldn't occur to a more deserving franchise with all the shit their fanbase slings about.
True but let's be real, Bedard was going to Chicago no matter what.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
The NHL script written for the Flames seems like it was written by the most hardcore Oiler fan/Flames hater

From Spring 2022 till now has been an absolute nightmare for the Flames and its only getting worse

Is it true that the Canadiens have the Flames unprotected 2025 1st? If so, oh man that might be the #1 overall

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It looks to me like Vancouver, Winnipeg and Calgary are all on the verge of a major rebuilding program. Their veterans and proven talent seem to want the exit door. Ottawa and Montreal aren't much different.

Let's hope that Mc-D and Drai sign extensions because the near term future for the other Canadian clubs doesn't look sweet. The Oilers may be the only real Canadian threat to win it all.

I think its all part of a longer term trend where players gravitate to the South. The sad legacy of Mr. Bettman.
Just a guess but I think player anonymity is really a big thing with the new generation of players. Obviously weather, taxes, etc help, but it seems like fewer and fewer players like living under the microscope.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm probably the only poster to say this but I believe that a weak franchise in Calgary is not good news for the Oilers.

Like Frazer and Ali they hate each other but in a certain sense need each other. The rivalry drives the need for achievement.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm probably the only poster to say this but I believe that a weak franchise in Calgary is not good news for the Oilers.

Like Frazer and Ali they hate each other but in a certain sense need each other. The rivalry drives the need for achievement.

I think we’re past them. We had the heated rivalry for 5-6 years and then we ended it. That hurdle is crossed.

LA, Vegas and Colorado are more than enough of a foil for this group.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

In one sense I agree. In the other I enjoy watching their team implode and their fans meltdown. ;)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver: Should be rebuilding, but not quite sure what they're doing.

Calgary: About to go blow it from the ass out with good players wanting out.

Edmonton: Playoff team, nearing cup contender status

Winnipeg: see Calgary above

Ottawa: Rebuilding, have nice pieces. Still probably 2-3 seasons away from being a playoff team

Toronto: Playoff team but way too many players making north of $10 mill handicapping them

Montreal: Rebuilding, several years away

That about sums it up for the Canadian market?

Since you used the word... It's interesting that the Flames decided to put their hat in the ring for biggest implosion in the news today.

Too soon?
The more I read into it, sounds like the main guy behind it all made this sub out of gorilla glue and pop cans.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Lol Suck it Flamers. Nobody wants to play in your crappy organization unless you're giving them a nice retirement contract. Flame fans seem to think they can sell high on Toffoli after his year... but the fact that everyone knows he wants out and Calgary has to trade him kind of minimizes the return, no?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lol Suck it Flamers. Nobody wants to play in your crappy organization unless you're giving them a nice retirement contract. Flame fans seem to think they can sell high on Toffoli after his year... but the fact that everyone knows he wants out and Calgary has to trade him kind of minimizes the return, no?
I think the limited return value happens moreso when there's a full no move and the player says he will only accept a trade to two or three teams.

Toffoli has no trade protection so Calgary will probably get a decent return for him.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This may be the best thing that happened to the flames. Realistically they won’t compete in the next three years against the Oilers, Knights and probably the Kings. So this forced rebuild holds promise for them that as our window closes they may be on the upswing - which of course I’m sure they will screw up, but that’s for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad