Around the League 2020-21 Part 3, Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I love the way the Avalanche play hockey. They’re the anti-Kings.

I'm personally happy that this is where the game is at now. Hockey should be about speed and skill with some physicality mixed in but not being the identity of championship teams. I hope they win it all.

Either way, this team is just beyond loaded for the next few years, what an amazing job Sakic has done.

Nothing new. Going to have sell the south bay pretty hard to get that kind of talent to play here again.

Does Landeskog have any kids? Hopefully the schools in the South Bay have improved from where they were at 10 years ago. If not he may be forced to sign in Edmonton.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
How many players in the NHL right now are a more valuable asset than Cale Makar?

I'm taking McDavid and then I have to think about it for anyone else. Centers have more value so maybe you have to take Mac, Matthews and Barkov, but its close.

There isn't a d-man close to him for talent/age value, as much as I like Hughes, there just isn't any kind of discussion to be had on who's better.

22 years old and this good, insane.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
How many players in the NHL right now are a more valuable asset than Cale Makar?

I'm taking McDavid and then I have to think about it for anyone else. Centers have more value so maybe you have to take Mac, Matthews and Barkov, but its close.

There isn't a d-man close to him for talent/age value, as much as I like Hughes, there just isn't any kind of discussion to be had on who's better.

22 years old and this good, insane.

After looking at that horrible Flyers defense fans just have to be kicking themselves (along with management.)

Heiskenan has been okay for the Stars.

That draft overall was pretty underwhelming with the exception of Makar

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
After looking at that horrible Flyers defense fans just have to be kicking themselves (along with management.)

Heiskenan has been okay for the Stars.

That draft overall was pretty underwhelming with the exception of Makar

Nolan Patrick has to be one of the worst picks in the last 20 years. Heiskanen is very good but he's no Makar. I've never in all my years watching the sport seen a d-man be able to make moves with the puck to get himself into prime scoring areas like Makar does. He's even better at it than Karlsson was in his prime. This is the one area that prevents Doughty from being considered an all-time great, just didn't have the instincts in the offensive zone, whether that was his own doing or it was snuffed out by Terrible Murray, we will never know.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Nolan Patrick has to be one of the worst picks in the last 20 years.
I never understood why he was so highly regarded. I know he had a great -2 D season. But did nobody notice that he was a year older than everybody else and coming off a mediocre year?

Vilardi was born August 16th 1999. Patrick was born Sep 19th 1998. These guys were taken in the same draft.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I never understood why he was so highly regarded. I know he had a great -2 D season. But did nobody notice that he was a year older than everybody else and coming off a mediocre year?

Vilardi was born August 16th 1999. Patrick was born Sep 19th 1998. These guys were taken in the same draft.

I think you answered your own question, he was highly regarded as a 16/17 year old and a lot of times scouts don't like to acknowledge that some kids peak as teenagers.

I know scouting is an inexact science, and Makar was playing Junior A during his draft year but my lord what a miss by the Flyers scouts. It wasn't like Makar was playing in Denmark or Austria or something.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Colorado needs to make a serious run this year, who knows what happens next year with them. Landeskog is going to get paid and he's 28, someone is going to offer him a crapload of cash over 7 years. And if Girard gets 5M, what's Makar worth? They don't have a lot of cap space so they are going to have to get creative.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Colorado needs to make a serious run this year, who knows what happens next year with them. Landeskog is going to get paid and he's 28, someone is going to offer him a crapload of cash over 7 years. And if Girard gets 5M, what's Makar worth? They don't have a lot of cap space so they are going to have to get creative.

Landeskog and Makar will cost them north of 7.
No worries, Erik Johnson will get a splinter and be on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019

‘all the more reason to go after Devon Toews. I am really big on him.

Reactions: YP44

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I haven't watched enough of Makar to see the rest of his game but I know he's dynamic with the puck on his stick. If I remember correctly, that draft went as expected with the 1st 3 picks.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Landeskog and Makar will cost them north of 7.
No worries, Erik Johnson will get a splinter and be on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

Saad comes off the books and they will look to find a trade partners for guys like Kadri, Donskoi and/or Compher. The Avs will make it work. Real good front office in Colorado.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Avs are a horrible drafting team. They sucked for such a long time because of it. In fact they haven't produced a single decent NHL player in years 2010, 2012, 2014. Years 2016 and 2018 also doesn't look promising. Yet here we are saying they are the best team in the NHL....why?

Well, what they did right is cash in on their 1 round picks. Got star players out of them. 1 round picks... Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon(1st overall), Rantenan, Makar, ...futures Byram, NewHook.

Said this in another thread that if our first round picks don't pan out we'll be stuck with a 5+ year of tanking and rebuilding. Kings did the same with their first round picks... Brown, Kopitar and Doughty, then added pieces for the cup runs.

Reactions: Schrute farms

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
LA will be happy to take Girard off their hands to free up some cap space.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

EJ waives, Newhook replaces Kadri who is traded for assets. Graves is taken by Seattle. Compher is moved...maybe even Burakovsky. I think they're sitting in an ok position. The tough 1 is Landeskog because he's at the age where physical players tend to fall off. A long term high dollar deal could make them shy away.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Saad comes off the books and they will look to find a trade partners for guys like Kadri, Donskoi and/or Compher. The Avs will make it work. Real good front office in Colorado.

They can make it work, but with so many teams against the cap they are going to have to take something back in those trades. The biggest problem they face is 2/3rds of the league have less than 1M in cap space, Carolina has the 27th most amount of cap space and they have $2M. There is nowhere to dump salary because the bottom 4 teams aren't likely to be interested in those guys. I'd flip out if the Kings traded for one of those guys unless a 2022 first was coming along with them. The cap is flat and the teams that would be interested in those players have no way to absorb their contracts. I see no reason for EJ to waive, but where could they send him? Who is going to take that contract? It's more likely they buy him out for the $2M penalty.

They are up against it even with Saad off the books. They are at 58M with for 12 guys next year, the only goalie signed is the recovering Francouz. If they get Landeskog/Makar for 15M they've done a good job, the saving grace for them is teams don't have a lot of money to throw at UFAs. Still, that's 73M for 14, with Grubauer a UFA and 4 other RFAs, including Jost.

Real good front office, but they have their work cut out. I think there is a real fear of losing GL which is why they loaded up this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad