Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Probably the one thing I agree with is the idea of a lucic-Ryan-mangiapane line. Makes more sense than a lucic-jankowski-bennett line to me imo.
Big Looch with Janko sounds like a disaster. On the other hand I still don't like the idea of Bennett with Janko again, unless there's a player like Dube having a breakout season on the offwing.

Reactions: super6646

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Didn't think about Lindholm playing with Lucic, which works ok with Dube - Backlund - Frolik as a 3rd line and Janko - Ryan - Czar as a 4th?
Would this scenario then see Mang with 13 & 23?

Edit: nvm forgot about Chucky not being listed :laugh:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Dube-Backlund-Frolik
Lucic-Lindholm-Bennett
Janko-Ryan-Mag/Czar

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Would this scenario then see Mang with 13 & 23?

Edit: nvm forgot about Chucky not being listed :laugh:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Dube-Backlund-Frolik
Lucic-Lindholm-Bennett
Janko-Ryan-Mag/Czar
Oops, completely forgot about Mango. I think, if we are to separate Tkachuk and Backlund and move 19 to the top line, it would be to see if Lindholm can carry his offence on the second line while Backs goes pure shutdown (even though I don't know why that isn't possible right now). But on the other hand Lindholm being the 2C with Looch doesn't make sense, but neither does him playing with Lindholm in general. He oughta be talking about Looch - Doc - Mang or I'll be confused.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Mango - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Lucic - Backlund - Frolik
Janko - Ryan - Czarnik

Expectation: Backlund made Lance Bouma into a scorerer with Colborne as his RW, I'm pretty sure he and Frolik could drag Lucic around and make him at least match Bouma's averages.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I hardly think this means that Lucic will get a look with them to like, produce

The way he’s speaking here seems to mean that in a game where we’re up a couple goals or the game is out of reach he’ll put Lucic out with Johny to make sure no one takes any liberties. I don’t see a problem with that
I haven't looked yet, but it cold also be that first shift after a PK like Neal always

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Mango - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Lucic - Backlund - Frolik
Janko - Ryan - Czarnik

Expectation: Backlund made Lance Bouma into a scorerer with Colborne as his RW, I'm pretty sure he and Frolik could drag Lucic around and make him at least match Bouma's averages.
Backlund and Tkachuk couldn't turn Bennett or Neal into scorers.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Backlund and Tkachuk couldn't turn Bennett or Neal into scorers.

But Bennett's best seasons were playing along side Backlund, wasn't it? He would have gone back to play with Backlund and Frolik but Tkachuk took his spot and was too damn good there.

Neal on the other hand... you can't save a guy if he doesn't give a damn.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
But Bennett's best seasons were playing along side Backlund, wasn't it? He would have gone back to play with Backlund and Frolik but Tkachuk took his spot and was too damn good there.

Neal on the other hand... you can't save a guy if he doesn't give a damn.
Bennett played more with Backlund and Tkachuk (24.2% of ES toi) this past season than Janko and Neal (19.58% of ES toi) and only put up 2 more point with Tkachuk and Backlund.

Bennett also never lost his spot to Tkachuk. They moved him back to center about half way through his rookie season, he remained at center until about 10 games into the 2018-18 season when he was pushed to the wing by Jankowski.

Also, you cannot ignore that Bennett's rookie success was also under Hartley.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
A piece on Davidson. He is certainly saying the right things.

BACK AT HOME

"That's first and foremost in my mind: Making sure I do stay here, establish that relationship with the coaching staff and my teammates and creating an atmosphere where I can thrive," says Davidson.

"I've been in town about 14 days now, assimilating with the guys and figuring out what's going to happen this season. I have nothing but high hopes for myself.

"I'm ready for this opportunity. Especially being in my hometown, per se.

"My entire career has pointed me to here, to now. I've been preparing the whole summer for this, put in an effort like never before, and now the time has finally arrived.

"Being in the city, the chance to wear the jersey of the team I grew up supporting are things I don't take lightly.
"There's an opportunity here.

"I won't waste it.

"All I can say is: I'm ready."

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
We'll see I guess. He has to beat out Kylington and MacDonald for the 6th or 7th spot. Davison is saying all the right things and he just needs to go out and do it.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
He will be an awesome addition to our AHL team, but I think that is about it.
If he can stay healthy, I think he wins a spot. He was looking like a guy that could fill in on a 2nd pairing pairing before his injury woes. And if true that Tre tried signing him last summer as well, then he will definitely have an upperhand for the #7 spot over MacDonald or another PTO guy is more are brought in.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Eh, I've watched this a few times and I have a different conclusion:

Being a geriatric of the NHL himself, Milan Lucic likes older players in leadership roles.
I think it's just something that makes sense, the best leaders are and always have been battle tested. McDavid might be the most gifted player in the NHL, but talent doesn't give you experience, that's something you only gain with time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The dynamic is similar with Matthew Tkachuk in Calgary. A five-to-eight year term makes him the highest-paid Flame. Everyone understands that. But how much higher than Gaudreau and Mark Giordano is the question.
25. The Athletic’s Craig Custance reported Calgary’s Noah Hanifin tinkered with his one-timer at Darryl Belfry’s skills camp last month. He’s not the only Flame working on his finish. Another is Sam Bennett.

“I can do a better job of finishing opportunities,” he said. “Release points. Someone told me every time I shoot the puck it’s the same. Sometimes you need to mix it up, change the angle, change the release point, and I was working on that.”

Bennett added he was working on shooting off different feet, as well.

Friedman

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’ll believe it when I see it with Bennett. Seem to vaguely recall he said something similar last season, and it just didn’t translate in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad