Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I just looked over that draft year. Sadly, in a redraft, I think Janko would probably only drop a couple spots. Kind of sad how bad that was (in fact there was 1 straight up bust in Griffith Reinhart, and 2 other late firsts who are out of the NHL with Stefan Mateau and Henrik Samuellson, as well as 2 players leaving for Russia in Yakupov and Grigorenko). A couple other first round picks are bordering on busting/teams hoping their are late bloomers as well.

Definitely one of the weaker drafts in recent memory for sure.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Definitely one of the weaker drafts in recent memory for sure.

2012 will go down as one of the really, really bad ones.

- 0 top skaters produced. Some really, really good dmen and a few great forwards; no mega stars.
- The top 4 of the draft will yield: 1 middle 6 scoring winger, 1 injury prone top 6 defender... and 2 busts.
- Best player in the draft is a f***ing goalie.
- Best Dman at the draft, which was suppose to be an obscenely deep draft on defence, is actually from the 3rd round versus the huge run of them in the first.

That all being said; if our GM wasn't such a space cadet, and held onto the 14th our chances would have been pretty good in getting a good player:

Best Centres avialable:
Zemgus Girgensons, Tomas Hertl

Best Wingers available:
A tumbling Tuevo Taravainen, Tommy Wilson

Best D available:
Olli Maatta, Mike Matheson

Best goalie available:
Andrei Vasilevskiy

Hindsight is 20/20, but there was a better than 50% chance of nabbing a really good player if we had stayed put. The move was picking Taravainen, who was a top 10 talent that was tumbling; how sick would this roster be with him added in there. It'd also have let us not sign Neal (As we'd have a 60 point winger already).

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
For sure man. I wanted Teravainen or Maatta. I was screaming at the TV when we traded down.

Blasphemy. Not only would we not have Jankowski, we also wouldn’t have acquired the pick that landed us *checks notes* Patrick Sieloff

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sieloff really got a raw deal with injuries and that staph infection almost killing him. He had potential to be an excellent shutdown defenseman but all that time off just stunted his development.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Needs more horse head

No.

YTIxn9Q.jpg

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I have a feeling that the Flames will also announce they will be wearing retros as their full time home jerseys this year. Heres hopin.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have a feeling that the Flames will also announce they will be wearing retros as their full time home jerseys this year. Heres hopin.
A Flames PR guy on twitter has more or less said that this season is the status quo, but the WC jersey will be vintage white, but will be worn more than just once. He's also strongly hinted in 2020-21 we will be going back to full retro kits.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If this means we get full time retros then I will accept this ugly logo being embedded in the ice all year.

It will be cool when we go back to the retros, and then these jerseys we currently have become retros, and then have a retro night and go with the retros but we still will always wear the retros, if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad