Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Wanted to see the Stars and Joe Pavelski raise the Cup this year.
  • 4 All Star Games
  • 60th all time in games played
  • 55th all time in goals scored
  • 71st all time in points
  • Former team captain
Had this conversation with friends, is he just a great story or is he a Hall of Famer?
DQ’ed. Too many goals came against CBJ.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for the link. My issue with PuckPedia is that it is not user-friendly or intuitive. This feels just like cap friendly which I am very used to. As long as the info is accurate this could totally be my go-to site.
Agree on PuckPedia. I'm surprised the Caps didn't buy this one too. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: koteka

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
$10 says they don't get a fraction of the hate we did last summer.
I feel for their fans, I walked away from the Browns after the Deshaun Watson acquisition after 30+ years of fandom. I now outwardly root for DW to fail miserably and the team to lose. Sucks to have morals and be a fan of a team that chooses not to.

Reactions: Viqsi and Jovavic

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I mean, FWIW there's already some vitriol directed at the team/organization on the mains.
Somehow I don't see it going hundreds of pages since it doesn't give 31 fanbases a chance to gleefully punch down at their favorite punching bag. I've already seen hugely upvoted and lauded comments on reddit with EDM flairs that are identical to the ones I made last summer that got me nothing but hate: that getting one of these one-job-per-team spots in NHL is a privilege only 32 people in the world have at a given time, and not getting one is not criminal punishment.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Somehow I don't see it going hundreds of pages since it doesn't give 31 fanbases a chance to gleefully punch down at their favorite punching bag. I've already seen hugely upvoted and lauded comments on reddit with EDM flairs that are identical to the ones I made last summer that got me nothing but hate: that getting one of these one-job-per-team spots in NHL is a privilege only 32 people in the world have at a given time, and not getting one is not criminal punishment.
HF, at least, is pretty unified about hating it. Even HFOil is pissed.

The Four Seven

Rest in Peace Johnny and Matthew
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
I've already seen hugely upvoted and lauded comments on reddit with EDM flairs
Well there's your problem. My experience with Reddit and anything hockey was short but very telling. There's so much brain rot, karma farming, dogpiling, etc. that it's just a terrible place to discuss anything.

Also re: the Oilers. I feel for their fans, but organizationally, I hope their failure continues after this boneheaded decision.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I was just thinking that this was such Jarmo decision. I bet the Babs and Bowman introduction pressers were pretty similar. Did our due diligance... Learned from mistakes... Experience... He is a winner...

Bowman probably wont get fired before camp, but I really don't understand NHLs obsession to test their luck in recycling every idiot with the hope they've finally learned how to be a decent person. You'd think the standards you need to hold one of 32 gm posititions were a bit higher.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I only have just so much time for listening to podcasts, between BobbyMac's Monday Mailbag, AP's Front & Nationwide and The Athletic's Hockey Show I have no more room for hockey podcasts. But sorry for your loss on that one.
I can only listen to the Monday Mailbag every so often. Everything is always bright and sunny on it, and you mostly hear the same topics and the same people.

Reactions: Xoggz22

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
For all of us who were at least mildly surprised that the CBJ did not offer Alexander Nylander...no NHL team offered Nylander. Now, the Marlies are owned by MLSE and Nylander's brother is a Leaf so I would not be surprised if the Leafs did this deal through the Marlies to avoid exacerbating their cap situation while retaining another NHL player they could perhaps activate somewhere down the road. But it still means no other NHL teams took a hard sniff at him.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For all of us who were at least mildly surprised that the CBJ did not offer Alexander Nylander...no NHL team offered Nylander. Now, the Marlies are owned by MLSE and Nylander's brother is a Leaf so I would not be surprised if the Leafs did this deal through the Marlies to avoid exacerbating their cap situation while retaining another NHL player they could perhaps activate somewhere down the road. But it still means no other NHL teams took a hard sniff at him.

Leafs can't just activate him. They would have to sign him to an NHL deal first. Still not sure why we didn't offer him a 2 way.with 300k or so guaranteed. He would definitely been a good callup if we needed one.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Leafs can't just activate him. They would have to sign him to an NHL deal first. Still not sure why we didn't offer him a 2 way.with 300k or so guaranteed. He would definitely been a good callup if we needed one.
I know they can't just call him up. My using the term "activate" was meant to say they can keep him nearby and if they find themselves in long-term need (more than just an emergency call-up) sometime during the season they have a better chance of getting him under contract than just some random NHL club.

I would not be surprised if Nylander's AHL deal is closer towards the NHL league minimum. I don't know what the NHL cap rules are but this seems like something the wealthier NHL clubs might be able to do to get around the cap.

With an AHL contract, Alex would likely earn an invite the Leafs training camp this fall. If he impresses to a point where his services would be needed with the Maple Leafs, the franchise could always convert the deal to an NHL deal. By keeping the contract at an AHL level, the Leafs don’t use up one of their 50 NHL contract slots and can use the time to evaluate Alex and see if he can become a useful depth addition on offense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad