Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I know I would..Honestly I think at this point, id be more upset about moving Chinny than I would KJ. Chinny get PP1 time on a competent PP hits 30+ goals. His shot is that good.

He could make a career out of living on the top of those circles getting fed one timers. Not even mentioning the other aspects of his game.

But as Visqi said...if it's for Tkachuk or someone along those lines, id be able to stomach it better.

I like the kid as well. I just used his name and KJs. Could have used Jiricek, Mateychuk or whoever. I just don't think that this team is going to organically grow into a top contender with the present personnel. Astute trades are going to be key to a better team, IMHO.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I like the kid as well. I just used his name and KJs. Could have used Jiricek, Mateychuk or whoever. I just don't think that this team is going to organically grow into a top contender with the present personnel. Astute trades are going to be key to a better team, IMHO.
I figured as much and I'm sure we'll get some trades next year, I just don't know if we'll see any major blockbusters

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's possible that there may be no changes this summer, or minimal changes, the new GM will evaluate the players and either changes will be made during the season or next summer. Of course a lot depends on the negotiations of the players' new RFA contracts, or whims of a player I won't mention. 😎

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Depends entirely on the return.
Come on, you know we'll trade them for pennies on the dollar because we lose everything, including trades. :sarcasm:

It's possible that there may be no changes this summer, or minimal changes, the new GM will evaluate the players and either changes will be made during the season or next summer. Of course a lot depends on the negotiations of the players' new RFA contracts, or whims of a player I won't mention. 😎
The new GM may not know these players on a personal level but I feel like there is more than enough scouting out there to see what these guys are capable of on the ice to make some evaluations. At least on a basic level anyone can see our redundancies and opportunities for improvement.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I have no idea who will be the new GM or what direction they will take. If I were the new GM I’d likely disappoint many folks here as I’d be less active than many prefer. We are not a contender next year and will still be building the following year though possibly contending for a 6-8 playoff slot.

That being my thought I’m using next year to evaluate the younger players and evaluating actions needed with vets such as Provorov, Severson, Kuraly, and certainly Elvis sooner rather than later. Brady Tkachuk’s name has popped up and he’d certainly be of interest because his timeline fits as does his playing style.

Overall I’d start out patient and then become aggressive. Priorities one and two the first few weeks are to determine how best to address the goalie and coaching situations.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have no idea who will be the new GM or what direction they will take. If I were the new GM I’d likely disappoint many folks here as I’d be less active than many prefer. We are not a contender next year and will still be building the following year though possibly contending for a 6-8 playoff slot.

That being my thought I’m using next year to evaluate the younger players and evaluating actions needed with vets such as Provorov, Severson, Kuraly, and certainly Elvis sooner rather than later. Brady Tkachuk’s name has popped up and he’d certainly be of interest because his timeline fits as does his playing style.

Overall I’d start out patient and then become aggressive. Priorities one and two the first few weeks are to determine how best to address the goalie and coaching situations.

I think moving on from Elvis (one way or another) and adding a shutdown D (perhaps in the place of Provorov) would be the moves I definitely make if I'm GM. I'm not evaluating any longer on those moves. We might also have to move on from Laine this summer, though there are a lot of inside details there that I'd have to find out about. I certainly wouldn't hang on to him if he was more excited to play elsewhere. We need fewer distractions.

Up front we have a bevy of young forwards who have shown promise but none have earned a big contract yet. And though we're all itching to thin the herd in a big trade, we still need to evaluate them more and see how they develop. It's not that predictable. If Tkachuk was available that would change things and anyone but Fantilli is on the table. Other than that we're still in wait and see mode with our young forwards.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think moving on from Elvis (one way or another) and adding a shutdown D (perhaps in the place of Provorov) would be the moves I definitely make if I'm GM. I'm not evaluating any longer on those moves. We might also have to move on from Laine this summer, though there are a lot of inside details there that I'd have to find out about. I certainly wouldn't hang on to him if he was more excited to play elsewhere. We need fewer distractions.

Up front we have a bevy of young forwards who have shown promise but none have earned a big contract yet. And though we're all itching to thin the herd in a big trade, we still need to evaluate them more and see how they develop. It's not that predictable. If Tkachuk was available that would change things and anyone but Fantilli is on the table. Other than that we're still in wait and see mode with our young forwards.
I think Laine is the biggest question mark this off-season (besides the obvious GM question mark). We have no idea what his time table might be if he ever comes back. And what kind of player are we getting if he comes back? If he's not getting top line and PP1 time and producing, we're much better moving on from him with that price tag, not that we're hurting for cap.. But Chinny can essentially fill his role on the PP, albeit from the otherwise otherside of the ice... Which actually should make our PP more effective if Z is still running it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Laine is the biggest question mark this off-season (besides the obvious GM question mark). We have no idea what his time table might be if he ever comes back. And what kind of player are we getting if he comes back? If he's not getting top line and PP1 time and producing, we're much better moving on from him with that price tag, not that we're hurting for cap..

If Laine is excited to come back and contribute (and not play heropuck), and we think Laine can be a great fit here long term, then I say keep him.

I have heard people say we should trade him but wait a year until his value goes up, and that I strongly disagree with. The asset value is the least important factor here. We need to get the room right and get our young players in appropriate roles. We should only keep Laine if we think the fit is right here long term.

But Chinny can essentially fill his role on the PP, albeit from the otherwise otherside of the ice... Which actually should make our PP more effective if Z is still running it.

Gaudreau plays the same side as Laine so having a one timer on the opposite side is good. Gaudreau and Laine would have to be on separate units.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I think Laine is the biggest question mark this off-season (besides the obvious GM question mark). We have no idea what his time table might be if he ever comes back. And what kind of player are we getting if he comes back? If he's not getting top line and PP1 time and producing, we're much better moving on from him with that price tag, not that we're hurting for cap.. But Chinny can essentially fill his role on the PP, albeit from the otherwise otherside of the ice... Which actually should make our PP more effective if Z is still running it.
I didn’t include Laine in my comments but his status is a huge question mark. Depending on whether he can return, Laine becomes a huge matter for the new GM and I’m not where to go with it.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Gaudreau plays the same side as Laine so having a one timer on the opposite side is good. Gaudreau and Laine would have to be on separate units.
And this is where I've lost faith in Vincent to some extent, it's like everyone wants to force those two together when it clearly isn't working. Which actually creates a good opportunity to have two separate lines with a threat that teams have to plan around.

But we'll see how it all shakes out

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And this is where I've lost faith in Vincent to some extent, it's like everyone wants to force those two together when it clearly isn't working. Which actually creates a good opportunity to have two separate lines with a threat that teams have to plan around.

I can't remember what exactly the units were like when Laine was last injured, but they were on separate units either then or at some time before then.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

The reality is that teams don’t have to “plan around” Gaudreau or Laine any more than they do any other player, on the same line or separate.

Reactions: domi28

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I didn’t include Laine in my comments but his status is a huge question mark. Depending on whether he can return, Laine becomes a huge matter for the new GM and I’m not where to go with it.
The worst part about not knowing if Laine will be available or not it the 8.7 in cap space we can't do anything with until we know if he is or not.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

@squashmaple
aa9b8c72-fcd5-420d-b861-bc751d336212_text.gif

EDIT #1: Why can't I use the add media/image button anymore?

EDIT #2: If this is true (doubtful) and the Blue Jackets are going to pick a Dickinson or a Silayev at #4, I'd honestly call Ottawa to see if they can work out a deal around the pick for Tkachuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: squashmaple

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tkachuk doesn't have any trade protection. So from that perspective he could come here.

4 years locked in at 8.2. If Laine doesn't come back then he fits well into the cap. If Laine does return could be tight for moving ahead on trades/fa's.

I don't why he's unhappy in Ottawa but I'm not sure the current state of the Jackets would make him happy either.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I can already see Boston, Vegas or Tampa making some miracle move to get the 2nd Tkachuk. And Sens crashing back to bottom 5

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
We could really use a solid top6 center. That would free up Voronkov and Jenner to wing and we could finally have a solid center-position.

1. X / Fantilli
2. Fantilli / X
3. Sillinger
4. Kuraly

UFA market has Monahan, who is good friends with Gaudreau.. If we can pull it of, we could target William Karlsson or Anthony Cirelli via trade.. Both of them might just be in trade consideration because of cap-problems.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Will Jiricek be in the NHL full time next season or will it be another up and down season in NHL/AHL

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Will Jiricek be in the NHL full time next season or will it be another up and down season in NHL/AHL

My guess, assuming guys are healthy and there are no off-season trades, we’ll start the season with

Werenski Severson
Provorov Boqvist
Bean Gudbranson

to evaluate what we have at the NHL level and guys like Jiricek, Svozil, Ceulemans, and Mateychuk will start in Cleveland. Someone like Blankenberg or Christiansen could be the 7th D or we could get a vet left D in free agency on a one year contract and he and Bean could fight for the 6/7 spots.

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
My guess, assuming guys are healthy and there are no off-season trades, we’ll start the season with

Werenski Severson
Provorov Boqvist
Bean Gudbranson

to evaluate what we have at the NHL level and guys like Jiricek, Svozil, Ceulemans, and Mateychuk will start in Cleveland. Someone like Blankenberg or Christiansen could be the 7th D or we could get a vet left D in free agency on a one year contract and he and Bean could fight for the 6/7 spots.
There were already problems with Jiricek when he wanted to play in the NHL, but he was sent to the AHL. I can't imagine what the next season would be like, maybe even a trade request.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad