Speculation: Armchair GM 2024-25 Season, Craig Conroy's Can Do Calgary Flames

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I wonder what Bahl's next deal will look like. He's in a similar situation to where Ras was during the 2019-20 season as a younger emerging top 4 defenseman (obviously different styles of game, with Ras's being a more offensive style that pays higher). Ras's deal 6 x 4.55 was for 5.58% of the cap in year 1... would 6 or 7 x 4.5 make sense for Bahl? It'd be for 5.11% of the projected 88m cap next season and would be comparable to the 5-8 year extensions signed by Rasmus Sandin (Signed in 23-24 season), Matthias Samuelsson (signed in 22-23 season) and Mikey Anderson (signed in 22-23 season)
Bahl has been a stud next to Ras this season. Very smart move on Conroys part. Reminds me of a young Regehr. Steady, stay at home, physical and a huge reach. I think if the salary is in the 4mil range the length is 4-5 years. I dont see him willing to sign long term with the cap guaranteed to go up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
With Calgary sniffing around young centres, anyone feeling like Coronato might be the piece that we go change-for-change with?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With Calgary sniffing around young centres, anyone feeling like Coronato might be the piece that we go change-for-change with?
Not if its middle 6. Top 6 maybe. I wonder if its Conroy keying on a team that needs the cap now or in the future to be honest. A middle 6 that is already making decent money or is an upcoming RFA who will need more money on a cap strapped team. Coronato is definitely a top 6 winger with top line potential.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Not even slightly to be honest. I don’t think in this deal our main piece going would be a kid, then it’s just a lateral move, and one we’d likely lose considered the extra value needed to swap a W for a C. Coronato is also on the precipice, he’s not quite there but he’s extremely close to being a full timer. Calgary probably values those a lot more given the re-tool.

If anything it’ll be the same as all of our other trades, although we probably would have to add some of our excess of picks depending on the player traded/added. Andersson, Backlund, Coleman, and less likely Kadri are our only remaining trade chips left after the purge (Kuzmenko and Mantha too, but I doubt they have that value), one of them would be going for this hypothetical young centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad