Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Might not have anything to do with eachover. We still need defenseman even if Kylington does stay.

Yeah, if we go with what we did after TDL last season and rotate those guys playing above their heads... we are still just on par. IIRC we lost that Okotoker dude because he went back to Russia.

I don't think we have any LD that are ready for more than a cup of coffee in that pool of committee based play for positions 4-6 defense. Other guys like Miromanov, Pachal, Hanley etc. perhaps deserve maybe the 20-40 game allotment but as far as I am expecting, I wouldn't give guys like Kuzy/Poirier etc. more than 9.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Do yall expect Andersson to get moved?
If he has a better season and is looking for a Hronek type of deal I think he stays.

Side not if conroy signed pesce/skjei/Tanev this d core is legit for playoffs (bad idea but still)

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If he has a better season and is looking for a Hronek type of deal I think he stays.

Side not if conroy signed pesce/skjei/Tanev this d core is legit for playoffs (bad idea but still)
they aint signing in Calgary if they don't get extended by the Canes/Stars they are not going to burn the next 3 yrs waiting for the flames to turn it around.

Do yall expect Andersson to get moved?
I am wondering if he hasn't said the same thing Markstrom did. (IE I am not gonna make waves BUT if someone asks I wouldn't say no to a trade to a contender). Its not like he was expressing his commitment to Calgary at locker clean out day.

Reactions: Fig

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Out:
Markstrom
Hanifin
Lindholm
Tanev
Toffoli
Zadorov

In:
2024 1st Round Pick (VAN - 28)
2025 1st Round Pick (Top 10 Protected - NJD)
2026 1st Round Pick (Unprotected - VGK)
2024 2nd Round Pick (DAL - 62)
2023 3rd Round Pick (NJD - 80 - Suniev)
2024 3rd Round Pick (VGK - 84)
2026 3rd Round Pick (VAN)
2024 4th Round Pick (NJD - 107)
2024 5th Round Pick (CHI - 131)
Sharangovich
Kuzmenko
Miromanov
Bahl
Brzustewicz
Grushnikov
Jurmo

This is definitely a rebuild no matter how the Flames organization tries to spin it. "Re-tool" my ass

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Out:
Markstrom
Hanifin
Lindholm
Tanev
Toffoli
Zadorov

In:
Sharangovich
Kuzmenko
Miromanov
Bahl
Brzustewicz
Grushnikov
Jurmo

This is definitely a rebuild no matter how the Flames organization tries to spin it. "Re-tool" my ass

It's a strip down of the roster and I assume the strip down continues to add more youth and futures... But if they trade those futures vs drafting with them to have a home grown pipeline instead, then I think it's valid to say it's a retool vs rebuild.

That also being said, our current pipeline looks pretty solid. Still a few gaps and there's an obvious gap for blue chips... but if a quantity for quality trade that's similar to Lindholm/Hanifin can be swung by Conroy, I think we could be optimistic in being right back in the thick of things next season or the season after that.

If you look at the roster next season without adding anyone, it's actually kinda interesting. Add a 2nd pairing dman and a good older platoon goalie for cheap to mentor Wolf who has a chance of getting hot (ie: Talbot/Fleury calibre guy)... we could squeak into the playoffs next season similar to what we did in 2014-2015.

My only complaint is that I have no clue who could be a lock to still be around in 3 years as a key young core piece. Even a dude like Coronato... you think about moving him if a young 1C potential type piece comes onto the market. I would sorta have my eyes on someone like Shane Wright.

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
What to do in the next months to stay competitive?

My ideas:
- trade Mangiapanne
- re-sign Sharangovich
- keep Anderson
- re-sign Kuzmenko if he plays well in the first half of the season
- re-sign Kylington

Free agent market:
- I still like the idea of signing Duclair
- sign Roslovic or Wennberg

Zary - Kadri - Pospisil
Huberdeu - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko
Duclair - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Roslovic - Duehr

Weegar - Anderson
Bahl - Kylington
Miromanov - Pachal

Gilbert / Poirier

Wolf / Vladar

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd be interested in giving a team like Seattle a call to see if we can put together a package to pry Wright out of their system. I wonder what other reasonable targets would be worth looking into that we can get for a reasonable acquisition cost...

Dach maybe?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Out:
Markstrom
Hanifin
Lindholm
Tanev
Toffoli
Zadorov

In:
Sharangovich
Kuzmenko
Miromanov
Bahl
Brzustewicz
Grushnikov
Jurmo

The Nikita Okhotiuk erasure.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Let’s get the #7 as well

Rasmus For Korpisalo (25% retained) and 7.

I'd want Chychrun as a throw in or 50% retention (instead of 25%).

I don't mind sending back a roster player with value to balance out the cap and value. But the cost to move a bad goalie in Korpisalo I think is rivaled only by Jack Campbell.

I'd want a little bit more value than 7th OA or more retention to make it easier to bury him if we're sending Rasmus the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad