OT: Arizona State University - NCAA D1 Hockey

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I live overseas. All I have is a Gamecenter subscription and Tor.

Anyone make it out to these games?

Have ANY of the Coyotes promotional materials mentioned that Max Letunov is a Coyotes prospect and is playing in this tournament? Come out and see a kid who is lighting up the NCAA's and may be a Coyote 3 years from now? Haven't seen his name anywhere ... maybe that's against NCAA rules? But it's so obvious.

Cool to see Max Domi drop the first puck at ASU/Yale ... the team will stay in town Sunday before Tuesday's game vs Edmonton, so here's hoping John Scott gets called for the final. He's an all-star, he's the only NCAA player on the active roster right now and a Michigan Tech alum to boot. MAKE IT SO!

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Is there video / stream of this weekend's games?

Last night was on Pac-12 Network, tomorrow I believe is just being streamed on their website(I would assume). All their home games seem to be streamed on the asu website. ASU live or whatever it is. The only other game I know of on Pac 12 network is the game against the U-18 team.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I live overseas. All I have is a Gamecenter subscription and Tor.

Anyone make it out to these games?

Have ANY of the Coyotes promotional materials mentioned that Max Letunov is a Coyotes prospect and is playing in this tournament? Come out and see a kid who is lighting up the NCAA's and may be a Coyote 3 years from now? Haven't seen his name anywhere ... maybe that's against NCAA rules? But it's so obvious.

Cool to see Max Domi drop the first puck at ASU/Yale ... the team will stay in town Sunday before Tuesday's game vs Edmonton, so here's hoping John Scott gets called for the final. He's an all-star, he's the only NCAA player on the roster and the a Michigan Tech alum to boot. MAKE IT SO!

Interesting. I watched the game on TV last night and they didn't bring it up, but they did bring up players on Yale that were drafted. I forget the player name, but they mentioned a couple times he was drafted by the Blackhawks.

They did have a Coyotes representative and an ASU representative on the broadcast though, and talked to the Yale coach about ASU hockey. It's crazy the competition ASU is playing this year, I just hope the kids don't get discouraged losing. It's the first year in D1, they have to know they are playing better competition. Just have to take it, and learn from it and get better. It's pretty cool though, seeing some other teams get lit up like Michigan/MSU game last night I believe was 8-2. It's not like ASU is getting completely manhandled(although we looked like it on the ice), the final score showed something different.

Either way, it's a great thing for ASU, Arizona hockey, and hopefully hockey in the west. Pac-12 should have a hockey conference. Hopefully we can help pave the way for it. Just give this team a few years, kids will be drooling to come play in the nice weather.

I don't know how many teams get to play in an NHL arena, but that had to be a great experience for the players. Hopefully more games could be played in Glendale, and somehow a shuttle could be enabled between Tempe and Glendale for the games. I know down the road ASU will have their own rink, most likely coinciding with their basketball team. But for now, it's got to be a great experience for them to play where the Coyotes play.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Have ANY of the Coyotes promotional materials mentioned that Max Letunov is a Coyotes prospect and is playing in this tournament? Come out and see a kid who is lighting up the NCAA's and may be a Coyote 3 years from now?

NHL.com shows that he was drafted by St. Louis in 2014, but is a Coyotes prospect. Did he get moved here as part of a larger deal? I don't remember any trades with the Blues.

Looking forward to going to the games tomorrow...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
NHL.com shows that he was drafted by St. Louis in 2014, but is a Coyotes prospect. Did he get moved here as part of a larger deal? I don't remember any trades with the Blues.

Looking forward to going to the games tomorrow...

He came over in the trade that sent Michalek to the Blues at the deadline last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Interesting. I watched the game on TV last night and they didn't bring it up, but they did bring up players on Yale that were drafted. I forget the player name, but they mentioned a couple times he was drafted by the Blackhawks.

They did have a Coyotes representative and an ASU representative on the broadcast though, and talked to the Yale coach about ASU hockey. It's crazy the competition ASU is playing this year, I just hope the kids don't get discouraged losing. It's the first year in D1, they have to know they are playing better competition. Just have to take it, and learn from it and get better. It's pretty cool though, seeing some other teams get lit up like Michigan/MSU game last night I believe was 8-2. It's not like ASU is getting completely manhandled(although we looked like it on the ice), the final score showed something different.

Either way, it's a great thing for ASU, Arizona hockey, and hopefully hockey in the west. Pac-12 should have a hockey conference. Hopefully we can help pave the way for it. Just give this team a few years, kids will be drooling to come play in the nice weather.

I don't know how many teams get to play in an NHL arena, but that had to be a great experience for the players. Hopefully more games could be played in Glendale, and somehow a shuttle could be enabled between Tempe and Glendale for the games. I know down the road ASU will have their own rink, most likely coinciding with their basketball team. But for now, it's got to be a great experience for them to play where the Coyotes play.

How was the attendance?

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
..and is anyone going to/did anyone go today?

I watched the first game (Mich. Tech defeated Yale in a shootout for the championship), and two periods of the ASU/UConn consolation game. Attendance was terrible. Maybe they'll announce many thousands, but 1000 in the seats would be generous.

I was surprised that college hockey is not more wide open. The same "problem" of not enough room on the ice is present, with the teams playing structured systems. Yale appeared to be slightly better than Tech, but these are both Top 25 teams, so it was appropriately 1-1 at the end of regulation. Tech had a decent-sized cheering section whose derisive taunts brought back memories of when I followed the Spartans in a past life.

While they were clearly outmatched, ASU put out an impressive effort, holding the game scoreless until early in the second period. They had their share of chances, and even some spells of puck possession in UConn's zone. Most impressive was how they allowed very little in the way of odd-man rushes. ASU's roster is carrying a good number of freshman, which showed up as a noticeable size disparity -- far too many 160-pound kids playing against some heavy hitters. Still, it looked like they should be able to compete against some of the East and Upper Midwest teams in the near future.

Before the Classic, my ticket guy called, so I used the opportunity to give him an earful about how poorly it was promoted, particularly during Coyotes games. Even if it's ASU's job to promote it, it's in everybody's interests for this event to succeed.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Airforce looked like they didn't get a crap for the most part in the half the game I saw :laugh:. They took tons of penalties due to lack of effort and poor positioning. I'm sure ASU will be happy with a win over a ranked team regardless. ASU seemed to have some decent skill players with quick passing but got outmatched a lot in size/strength on the boards and in front of the net.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I went to both air force games and have seats for the next two as well. College hockey is pretty rad. Seems like a less skilled, but more physical game. If they offer a similar package every year I might buy every year.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Didn't realize this game against Harvard was on pac 12 network. Losing to Harvard 6-0. But asu had a pretty good sequence for a while. They play in tempe tomorrow, then Michigan is in town next week. pac 12 again on Friday. Love this tough schedule.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Harvard is a lot better than asu, great game though. That 7th goal was nasty, I was right behind the asu net for it as well. Looking forward to seeing Michigan, I'll have to look up some of their top players beforehand.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Harvard is a lot better than asu, great game though. That 7th goal was nasty, I was right behind the asu net for it as well. Looking forward to seeing Michigan, I'll have to look up some of their top players beforehand.

Oh yeah, lots of teams are going to be better for a while. Hopefully a few years though we can compete a bit more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Oh yeah, lots of teams are going to be better for a while. Hopefully a few years though we can compete a bit more.

Nice to see you guys supporting college hockey. I really have not watch or followed college hockey, so maybe it's time I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad