Arizona Cardinals sell playoff tickets to those living in an AZ zip code only

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rdinals-playoff-tickets-sale-monday/78506298/

The Cardinals playoff game against the Packers this Saturday night is sold out, the Cardinals announced on Monday morning.

Tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. exclusively to those with Arizona zip codes. The team announced the sellout less than an hour later.

The Cardinals structured the sale in that way to reduce the number of Packers fans at the game

Looks like this practice is not done by certain NHL sunbelt teams like the Predators only and it's more common of a practice that others think.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This kind of stuff is BS, i dont care if you want the stadium to be 100% full of your fans, its not fair to packers fans (or any other fans, for any other playoff games) that they now have to pay even more off a scalper or Stubhub to see their favorite team play.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Unfortunately it's a fairly common practice across all of the leagues. The Capitals were pulling this to Pens fans/Pennsylvania zips since the 90s.

Ultimately it doesn't work and Packers fans will find their way into that stadium in droves...of course many of those Packers fans will have Arizona zips to begin with.

At least they're not requiring the purchase of tickets for numerous other games, as the Chargers typically do when the Steelers are in town...

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Weird that they are just now selling playoff tickets. Panthers solid their round 2 tickets like 2 weeks ago.

I have no problem with this. This is a home game, and why not give your home fans the opportunity to see their team play? It's not like they were sitting on sale for days and the Packer fans still couldn't get tickets. It took an hour. If they were getting sold anyway, why not try to fill it with *your* fans? Packers fans don't like it? Too bad, should have made sure the game was in GB.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Meh if you can sell it out with only your teams fans, so be it. I don't have an issue with it honestly.

Except it crowds out fans who live out of state who would like to travel and leaves more space for non-licensed scalpers to poach tickets to sell to anyone with dough.

Leave it open. It may happen exactly the same way, but at least everyone has a chance at the lower ticket prices.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
No issues with it.

Same thing happens in Ottawa when we have a series against Toronto or Montreal.

Protecting the smaller fanbases. Nothing wrong with it..

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Except it crowds out fans who live out of state who would like to travel and leaves more space for non-licensed scalpers to poach tickets to sell to anyone with dough.

Leave it open. It may happen exactly the same way, but at least everyone has a chance at the lower ticket prices.

Why should the owner of any team do a favor for the opposing team's fans? :laugh:

Don't want be the out-of-state team? Get a better regular season record and play at home. The other team did just that.

Good for the Cards - sell tix to local fans, then let whatever happens happen.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Why should the owner of any team do a favor for the opposing team's fans? :laugh:

Don't want be the out-of-state team? Get a better regular season record and play at home. The other team did just that.

What? I'm talking about Cards fans in other states.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Not exactly possible for the fans, they cant really do much about that.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Its nor like a lot of if any people from Wisconsin could go on short notice like this anyway. Not really a big deal. Its not like there were gunna be a million packer fans.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No issues with it.

I doubt it's even anything about the fanbase size. Most of the tickets have already been sold to season ticket holders. Should be a pretty limited amount for the general public.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
It should always be easier for the home fans to get tickets than the visiting fans from the team. Those are their fans. There are so many options out there that fans from out of town will be able to get a ticket if they want one. They may have to pay extra but if it's a big game they should already be expecting to do that. Overblown issue when a team does this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It should always be easier for the home fans to get tickets than the visiting fans from the team. Those are their fans. There are so many options out there that fans from out of town will be able to get a ticket if they want one. They may have to pay extra but if it's a big game they should already be expecting to do that. Overblown issue when a team does this.

Yea, you can pay out the arse to StubHub or a scalper.

Vamos Rafa

I own Voight and MMC
Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
No issues with it.

It's really funny when you say this considering the Packers come from a town with a population of 105K while the Cards are based in a city with 1.5 million people. (I know, city population is not the indicator of fan base sizes)

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Stupid and ultimately useless practice.The bigger fan bases will still invade other stadiums via scalpers.It just serves to fatten other wallets.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Seahawks did this a few years back against Sf in the championship game, limiting sells to Wsh and Ore residents. There were still plenty of niners fans there.

There will be even more here. Arizona is full of transplants and those who simply don't like the home teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad