Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Coyotes claim D Juuso Valimaki off waivers from the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well then, I was wrong. Figured all the 1-way deals in ARZ would lead to them passing on him.

I suspect the Habs passed because we can't fit in 1.55 M with our LTIR situation.
I remember a few years back proposing a trade around Suzuki for Valimaki, just after he got injured... Montreal had a lot of young Cs in the system (KK, Poehling) and Danault was looking great, while Calgary was thin at C but deep at D.

I was told then value was not close since Suzuki was not worth Valimaki.

Things change.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I genuinely am happy. He should get a chance to play here. Injuries and depth did him in here, especially once Kylington rose to Sutter's challenge and took that top 4 spot last season. Valimaki just hasn't looked right at the NHL level after his injuries.

But I really do want him to succeed, and I'd love if Arizona can turn him into a legit top 4 D. Because even if he hits that level, I'm not really concerned losing him for nothing. With a top 5 of Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Weegar, and Kylington (when he's back) he's just kind of expendable, and hasn't proven enough to have any trade value yet. Even if you consider him better than Zadorov, Zad provides something different than the rest of our blue line and Mackey has shown he's at least able to be a #7. There just wasn't room for Valimaki here anymore.

But no ill will, and I genuinely hope he's successful for Arizona

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Good luck to him. Just brutal injury luck has really affected his mobility and he can't pivot like he used to. Still has a lot of potential if he can get right physically. Looked like a sure thing to be a top 4 D in 2018-19.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Don’t see where he fits when Chychrun is back in 2-3 weeks. He’ll be behind Chychrun, Gostisbehere and Moser on the left. Kolyachonok also looked good in camp/preseason.
Was just gonna ask about Moser, if somehow Valimaki turns into a player with Moser being the only LHD who can pass through waivers does that mean hes in trouble of spending some time in the AHL or would they try and get somebody to move to the right side?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Serious injuries really derailed him in Calgary, and he ran out of road here I think. This is a good scenario for Jusso to be in as I don’t think he was going to have any more opportunities here given our depth.

Silver lining for the flames as we gain about 750k cap space.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I thought he was gonna get through since he’s an AHLer at this point, but so are the Coyotes

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Thought Kolyachonok was going to make the roster out of camp but he was sent down so I guess this creates an extra spot but that’s still 9 defensemen as long as Chychrun is around still right?

Chychrun, Ghost, Mayo, Moser, Stecher, Timmins, Brown, Nemeth and Valimaki.
Which of those guys are currently top 4 NHL dmen?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Flames waived Kylington once and I was shocked he wasn’t claimed. I was confident maki would get claimed too but I wasn’t expecting from the team that had 2nd dibs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Any flames fan want to give a basic rundown on his playstyle?
I thought when he was sent down to the AHL he'd grab the ball and run with it. He didn't. His play was disappointing to say the least. Rumour has it that he was pouting because of the demotion instead of seeing it as an opportunity to prove the Flames made a mistake... and he certainly had the opportunity given that he automatically become one of the Heat's top 4 dmen and the Heat were a very good team last year.
IMO his attitude seems to be his biggest problem.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So now it comes down to Foote and Liljegren for who is the best dman taken in that middle of the first round Dman run in 2017.

Brannstrom
Valimaki
Vaakanainen

All look to be busts or given up on by their team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad