Trade: [ARI/ATL] Shelby Miller to D-Backs for Inciarte, Blair and Swanson

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's like the Padres in that they made huge splashes in the winter. It's the complete opposite of the Padres because the moves actually made sense, even if they overpaid.

Kemp and Upton with no infield and playing Myers in CF was always going to be a disaster. This keeps a strong offense together and massively upgrades the pitching staff to one of the best top three starters in baseball.

It's not like the Padres rotation of Shields/Ross/Cashner/Kennedy/Morrow was projected to be bad. And the DBacks themselves aren't exactly filling all of their holes to the best of their abilities. Their middle infield is still pretty bad, and their RFer is now Yasmany Tomas. Their bullpen is also extremely poor and their catching tandem is Castillo/Herrmann. Moving Inciarte (a valuable OFer) for Miller is one thing, but to add your two best prospects, one of which is a 4/5 tool SS with elite potential, just makes it seem like there was a lack of negotiating on their end or at least improper gauging of the market.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Local radio made an interesting point that this deal was done to solidify the Greinke deal. Meaning, they don't want to spend $200M on Greinke to not contend now. You figure you should get 4 real good years from Greinke, and this allows you control over Miller for 3. So in that sense I can somewhat understand their thinking as they're clearly trying to win in the next three years, which are also going to be Goldy's prime.

My problem is with all that said, ultimately the market dictates what players are worth, and just because you want to win now and are willing to overpay doesn't mean it's a sound business decision. If you win a WS then sure, but at the end of the day you still overpaid. So as of right now there's no getting around the fact that if you're grading the deal today, they lost it fairly badly.

If they decide that they're going for it and need to make another upgrade to the rotation then fine I get it, but there should be more than 1 option out there. Literally picking the most lopsided trade in a while when there are likely multiple options was the stupid part.

Fernandez was an option if they added some, can't say for sure if any other teams were willing to bite on trading a starter of Shelby Miller's level but if the players the dbacks put on the table were available I'd be willing to bet someone else would bite.

But what do I know maybe this was the best possible deal they could have made, it just seems unlikely.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It's not like the Padres rotation of Shields/Ross/Cashner/Kennedy/Morrow was projected to be bad. And the DBacks themselves aren't exactly filling all of their holes to the best of their abilities. Their middle infield is still pretty bad, and their RFer is now Yasmany Tomas. Their bullpen is also extremely poor and their catching tandem is Castillo/Herrmann. Moving Inciarte (a valuable OFer) for Miller is one thing, but to add your two best prospects, one of which is a 4/5 tool SS with elite potential, just makes it seem like there was a lack of negotiating on their end or at least improper gauging of the market.

Their middle infield is not bad. Ahmed isn't the greatest hitter, but he hits enough to make putting his glove in the lineup worthwhile. Not to mention, Owings has good potential and is a decent 2b.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
How is the DBack's pen?

Their top-3 looks great, as is their core offense. Looks like the NL West is the new AL East.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Their middle infield is not bad. Ahmed isn't the greatest hitter, but he hits enough to make putting his glove in the lineup worthwhile. Not to mention, Owings has good potential and is a decent 2b.

I've soured on Owings this past season. Discipline has never really been good but his BB/K and contact/swing rates were awful in 2015. Bright side is that he can't be worse than he just was. At least I hope not for his sake.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
2B would be the only spot that could have a practical upgrade offensively, but I think it'd be a waste of assets with Owings, Hill and Drury coming up.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Would be great for the Cubs if they nab Heyward and swap out Soler.

I'm sure that's the current thought process.

I think it's potentially a good thing for the Cards if the Cubs are involved right now. Even billionaire owners are (semi) human and prone to get into anatomical contests.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Collect all the prospects.

Doesn't sound like they'll trade him. Their biggest needs are young, controllable bats. So, they need to get back an Inciarte in the deal. This too...

Ken Rosenthal · 4h4 hours ago

Sources: #Braves have received numerous inquiries on Inciarte since acquiring him, including from #Cubs. Not engaging in trade discussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad