Trade: [ARI/ATL] Shelby Miller to D-Backs for Inciarte, Blair and Swanson

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ender Inciarte has two more years of control than Miller. Also accumulated 6.1 fWAR in his first two seasons (21st among OF through 2014-2015). You could make the case that he has more value than Miller by himself.

Agree.

You can say that Ender for Shelby was probably a win for both. But to not only include Blair but also Swanson. Wow.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Absolutely terrible deal for the Dbacks, even if you are trying to win now. It's an absurd amount to give up for Miller, who's overrated. Inciarte is very underrated, Blair was a pretty high prospect, and you're trading a number one overall pick about as soon after acquiring him as any team ever has. If Atlanta asked this from me as a GM I'd tell them to go pound sand. I'd barely do this deal for Fernandez.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well the DBacks had the 8th best offence last year, 2nd in the NL (behind the Coors Field bloated Rockies). They had to address pitching and they did.

The Fernandez deal was probably not happening without Pollock (which is not worth it IMO) or for Corbin as stated above, which would have hurt the depth.

Their entire team, except for Greinke, Ziegler and Hill, is under 30. Steep price to pay, but they might be the team to beat in the NL West now and are trending upwards.

The Giants are due. :sarcasm:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm critical of Miller and think this was a bad trade for the D-Backs, but they are now set up with three good pitchers and a very good offense. It takes a lot more than on-paper moves to get close to a WS, but they've quickly assembled a team that will plausibly make the playoffs, and should be a threat to do so every year going forward.

They are now a money team. Eviscerating your organizational and prospect depth is obviously never a good idea, but they now have a pretty stable MLB core, so if I were a fan, I wouldn't be too livid.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm critical of Miller and think this was a bad trade for the D-Backs, but they are now set up with three good pitchers and a very good offense. It takes a lot more than on-paper moves to get close to a WS, but they've quickly assembled a team that will plausibly make the playoffs, and should be a threat to do so every year going forward.

They are now a money team. Eviscerating your organizational and prospect depth is obviously never a good idea, but they now have a pretty stable MLB core, so if I were a fan, I wouldn't be too livid.

I'd rank these teams ahead of them (in no order):

Cubs, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Dodgers (yes, I still think they're better)

Plus, there's the Giants, who are a starting pitcher away (they have to do something, right?) from being better than Arizona in my mind. And the NL East has to have a playoff team.

If Miller's career high (by far) GB rate carries over, he'll do okay in the desert. But I still hate the trade from Arizona's perspective. I know Greinke alone wasn't going to propel them into the playoffs, but this was way too much. If they did give up Corbin + Swanson + Inciarte + Drury + Blair + maybe something else like the rumor was for Jose Fernandez, then maybe I'd be okay with it from Arizona's side. But for Shelby Miller? I see him as a #3 starter at best.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Inciarte is amazing - probably the best 4th outfielder in the game. Ugly trade for Dbacks but their rotation is amazing.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Bye, bye, Swanson, I hardly knew you. :(

So, long, Ender and Blair. Ender will be missed.

How good is Miller?

Oh...he's good. He'll make a fantastic #2 with Grienke. He had a 2.86 on a really...really bad Braves team, with a full season of work. That tells me he has great stuff, and a great attitude.

The crazy thing to me...IF the rumors are true, the DBacks declined an offer for Pollock straight up. Then the Braves added Viscaino, and it was still rejected. Crazy.

Apparently, the deal was made over lunch yesterday. MLB Network was speculating that the Samardzija $$ really spooked AZ.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Oh...he's good. He'll make a fantastic #2 with Grienke. He had a 2.86 on a really...really bad Braves team, with a full season of work. That tells me he has great stuff, and a great attitude.

The crazy thing to me...IF the rumors are true, the DBacks declined an offer for Pollock straight up. Then the Braves added Viscaino, and it was still rejected. Crazy.

Apparently, the deal was made over lunch yesterday. MLB Network was speculating that the Samardzija $$ really spooked AZ.

Here's what I think I read:

Pollock for Shelby straight up... rejected.

Pollock + Blair for Shelby + Vizcaino... rejected.

Dave Stewart is an idiot. I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade over Kevin Towers.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Here's what I think I read:

Pollock for Shelby straight up... rejected.

Pollock + Blair for Shelby + Vizcaino... rejected.

Dave Stewart is an idiot. I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade over Kevin Towers.

For keeping AJ Pollock? I'd give up Schwarber for Pollock.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Stewart must think Tomas can play RF permanately, which is a risk but you can't just have him sitting on the bench. If Nick Ahmed can start hitting, losing Swanson might not be as painful. Who knows, but as it stands now, they have a great young team. If they sign Leake as was rumoured, they will be favourites in a very tough division.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like the Braves will use Incairte at the top of the lineup. Stole 21 bases last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad