Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

some

Apr 15, 2024
Olofström
I know posters worry about the lack of superstar flash on Team Canada but it was Canadians, not Tkachuk or Barkov, who came thru with Florida's scoring in Game 7. Of course, Edmonton was 75% Canadian.

The team we send in 2026 will be a nice mix of young and old - although, I wish we had more players in the sweet spot of 25 - 29. Once we get past 2026's Best on Best, we have a TON of talent on the horizon so NO worries there.

Anything can happen in a "one game and out" but if you had to bet on one team to win (Best on Best), would you really bet against our group?

My final team...

Hyman-McDavid*-Johnston
LAF-MacKinnon-Thomas*
Reinhart-Crosby*-Point
Verhaeghe-Stamkos*-Marner
Horvat*

* Take Faceoffs

Options : Barzal/Jarvis/Stone/Scheifele/RNH/Byfield/Bedard/Bennett/Tavares/Suzuki/Sillinger

Toews-Makar
Morrisey-Dobson
Theodore-Montour
Harley-Tanev
Doughty/Bouchard

Skinner
Hill
Binnington.

Captain : McDavid
A's : MacKinnon, Crosby, Makar

According to Bob MacKenzie's final Draft list, 18 of his Top 32 1st round draft picks in 2024 are Canadian. Not too shabby.

Stamkos has played far too long in the national team, all know top four centers McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard and Crosby, a Crosby in the checking line as a defensive center sounds excellent.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Stamkos has played far too long in the national team, all know top four centers McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard and Crosby, a Crosby in the checking line as a defensive center sounds excellent.
It's Stamkos' faceoff prowess that convinced me to include him.

some

Apr 15, 2024
Olofström
Last mock for the summer. Skinner in line to start, Lafrenière draws in for Verhaeghe. Stacked team and more solid picture around goaltending with Skinner’s good finish to the playoffs

Marchand-Crosby-MacKinnon
Hyman-McDavid-Bédard
Johnston-Point-Lafrenière
Stone-Thomas-Reinhart

(Horvat, Byfield, Stamkos, Suzuki, Jarvis, Konecny, Marner, Barzal, Hagel, Verhaeghe, Scheifele)

McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard and Crosby easy top 4 centers. :)

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Fair enough. It's just Stamkos is amazing in the dot and I think Bedard is a few years away.

:)
I ageee that Bedard will take a few years to get better in the circle. With that being said, I would rather have Robert Thomas or Point Centring the 4th line and move Bedard to the wing somewhere in the top 6. I don’t think Stamkos belongs on the team, but he wouldn’t be a bad option for the 2nd PP unit.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I ageee that Bedard will take a few years to get better in the circle. With that being said, I would rather have Robert Thomas or Point Centring the 4th line and move Bedard to the wing somewhere in the top 6. I don’t think Stamkos belongs on the team, but he wouldn’t be a bad option for the 2nd PP unit.

I would be surprised if Bedard doesn't make the 4 Nations Cup team, even if its as a 13th/14th forward that only dresses for a few games. If Armstrong approaches the 4 Nations Cup as a proof of concept for the main event (the 2026 Olympics), which I hope he does, he'll find a spot for Bedard in order to get him exposure to best-on-best play as I can envision him being a fairly key piece in 2026.

Stamkos surely won't hurt Canada's chances at winning the 4 Nations Cup, but I don't think he necessarily puts us over the top either. He's still a very good player that can play on the wing on any of our 4 lines. My preference is that Armstrong goes with some youth at the depth positions for the 4 Nations Cup, in lieu of guys like Stamkos, Stone, Scheifele, and a few other veterans that wouldn't really move the needle in terms of terms of Canada winning the tournament and would take away roster spots from younger players who could use the experience.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I would be surprised if Bedard doesn't make the 4 Nations Cup team, even if its as a 13th/14th forward that only dresses for a few games. If Armstrong approaches the 4 Nations Cup as a proof of concept for the main event (the 2026 Olympics), which I hope he does, he'll find a spot for Bedard in order to get him exposure to best-on-best play as I can envision him being a fairly key piece in 2026.

Stamkos surely won't hurt Canada's chances at winning the 4 Nations Cup, but I don't think he necessarily puts us over the top either. He's still a very good player that can play on the wing on any of our 4 lines. My preference is that Armstrong goes with some youth at the depth positions for the 4 Nations Cup, in lieu of guys like Stamkos, Stone, Scheifele, and a few other veterans that wouldn't really move the needle in terms of terms of Canada winning the tournament and would take away roster spots from younger players who could use the experience.
It's a tough call. Players from the Golden Generation are still great!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
(* Mods, PLEASE do not remove. Hockey is over and this is amazing.)

Canada won a 3rd straight IFAF U20 World Championship
3-Peat for Canada !!!! (* Football's version of the WJR's. *)

Who knew? Canada : Not just hockey any more !!!

Tournament Champions​

• 2009 — USA over Canada in Canton, Ohio
  • 2012 — Canada over USA in Austin, Texas
  • 2014 — USA over Canada in Kuwait
  • 2016 — Canada over USA in Harbin, China
  • 2018 — Canada over Mexico in Mexico City, Mexico
  • 2020 — In Vancouver cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
  • 2024 — Canada over Japan in Edmonton, Canada
1719970161730.png

"With the NFL’s Lombardi Trophy in the house, Canada and Japan battled to one of the lowest-scoring games of the tournament, with the Canadian’s ending up victorious, taking the game 20-9."

I do remember when we won in 2012 in Texas...

People at the game were shocked. No one thought Canada would come close in 2012. Since then, I guess we've been doing REALLY well ! Nice!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad