Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Bedard - McDavid - Point
MacKinnon - Crosby - Barzal
Byfield - Thomas - Marner
Lafrenière - Suzuki - Johnston

Hyman / Stamkos
or
Verhaeghe / Reinhart

In 2026, Bedard will have matured enough to be a lock with McDavid on the hero line. Byfield and Lafrenière will also have taken the next step and will have to be on the team.

Gotta play MacKinnon with Crosby given their affinity and chemistry.

Point / Barzal are two right handed C who can play RW on the top lines.

Hyman is an amazing spare part that could play up and down the line-up, but if he’s slowed down two years from now could bring Verhaeghe or Fantilli instead.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Bedard - McDavid - Point
MacKinnon - Crosby - Barzal
Byfield - Thomas - Marner
Lafrenière - Suzuki - Johnston

Hyman / Stamkos
or
Verhaeghe / Reinhart

In 2026, Bedard will have matured enough to be a lock with McDavid on the hero line. Byfield and Lafrenière will also have taken the next step and will have to be on the team.

Gotta play MacKinnon with Crosby given their affinity and chemistry.

Point / Barzal are two right handed C who can play RW on the top lines.

Hyman is an amazing spare part that could play up and down the line-up, but if he’s slowed down two years from now could bring Verhaeghe or Fantilli instead.
Solid picks all around and one of the best rosters I’ve seen on here.

My only critique with this roster is who would play that shutdown role and kill penalties? I don’t mind Suzuki or Thomas being the centres on the PK, but I’d rather have the option of a more shutdown role on the wing in someone like a Danault, Cirelli, Marchand, RNH or Jarvis over Marner on the PK.

You could use Point in that aspect or maybe Reinhart makes it as a spare part for that reason. Just some food for thought

Last edited:
Reactions: Max McBolt

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Solid picks all around and one of the best rosters I’ve seen on here.

My only critique with this roster is who would play that shutdown role and kill penalties? I don’t mind Suzuki or Thomas being the centres on the PK, but I’d rather have the option of a more shutdown role on the wing in someone like a Danault, Cirelli, Marchand, RNH or Jarvis over Marner on the PK.

You could use Point in that aspect or maybe Reinhart makes it as a spare part for that reason. Just some food for thought
Good points.

I would have made a spot for Marchand in his current form without a doubt, but I don’t think he’ll make the team as a 38 years old.

Would love to see Danault make that team.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
What I think 2026 will look like:

Bedard-McDavid-Point
Crosby-MacKinnon-Reinhart
Lafrenière-Thomas-Johnston
Byfield-Danault-Marner
Verhaege-Jarvis-Barzal

Celebrini might crack this roster if the hype is real. Other options at centre are Horvat and Suzuki.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good points.

I would have made a spot for Marchand in his current form without a doubt, but I don’t think he’ll make the team as a 38 years old.

Would love to see Danault make that team.
Yes, Marchand is getting old fast - aren't we all. :)

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
What I think 2026 will look like:

Bedard-McDavid-Point
Crosby-MacKinnon-Reinhart
Lafrenière-Thomas-Johnston
Byfield-Danault-Marner
Verhaege-Jarvis-Barzal

Celebrini might crack this roster if the hype is real. Other options at centre are Horvat and Suzuki.

Suzuki is entering his prime, he'll be in there as the shutdown center, he's becoming better and better in that role.

Those lines you proposed are not working...

Crosby(better Hyman) - McDavid - Reinhart <=== McDavid needs some physicality and players who can grind it out.

Bedard - MacKinnon - Point <=== MacKinnon just takes a lot of space and that's what Bedard needs, Point to cover their ass.

Mctavish - Suzuki - Jarvis <== Shut down with some smarts up front, 3 centers, left and right.

Lafreniere- Celebrini- Marner <== X-Factor

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Suzuki is entering his prime, he'll be in there as the shutdown center, he's becoming better and better in that role.

Those lines you proposed are not working...

Crosby(better Hyman) - McDavid - Reinhart <=== McDavid needs some physicality and players who can grind it out.

Bedard - MacKinnon - Point <=== MacKinnon just takes a lot of space and that's what Bedard needs, Point to cover their ass.

Mctavish - Suzuki - Jarvis <== Shut down with some smarts up front, 3 centers, left and right.

Lafreniere- Celebrini- Marner <== X-Factor
Suzuki brings so much to the table. I wish I liked him.

Who will win faceoffs on the 4th line?

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Celebrini, but they are a counter attack line so I'm not super concerned about faceoffs. And its the 4th line, they won't get a lot of faceoffs.

You'll like Suzuki soon, as soon Caufield isn't on that line.
Don’t know how good Celebrini will be next season, but if he has a good rookie season and a strong start to 2025-2026 then he’s in the conversation. Not sure if he’s a lock. Canada has other established young 2-way centres in Thomas or Johnston. Fantilli may even be in the convo. They might opt for a shutdown presence in Horvat or Danault. That being said, I do think Celebrini will add an “aura” to that line unlike the others mentioned.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Skinner still makes me nervous, let's see what he does next year before we pencil him in.

Sure he has looked good in these playoffs at times, sometimes at crucial tmies.....................................but he has also looked real bad at times.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Skinner still makes me nervous, let's see what he does next year before we pencil him in.

Sure he has looked good in these playoffs at times, sometimes at crucial tmies.....................................but he has also looked real bad at times.
He's definitely mid tier now. Consistency needs work. He's still pretty new and raw so that can all change.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Oh JJ...

Unless our goalie looks like this...

1719081051124.png

...you're gonna be NEGATIVE!

Which country has a goalie that doesn't have bad games? Even the winner of this year's Vezina got lit up in the playoffs.

Simply put : There are NO great goalies right now.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
yes it does, russia, u.s, even finland has that with saros.
Before this year's playoffs, the U.S. would have played Hellebuyck in net. Against Colorado, Hellebuyck was 1-4 with a 5.23 GAA - and he's going to win the Vezina.

If the Russians played Bobrovsky, he's been crushed by Edmonton.

Saros was horrible against Vancouver.

Skinner has been, by far, the most consistent.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Before this year's playoffs, the U.S. would have played Hellebuyck is net. Against Colorado, Hellebuyck was 1-4 with a 5.23 GAA - and he's going to win the Vezina.

If the Russians played Bobrovsky he's been crushed by Edmonton.

Saros was horrible against Vancouver.

Skinner has been, by far, the most consistent of all of them.
yeah yeah...........................any of those guys track record is so superior to skinners at this point it's not even close.

Hey, no one wants skinner to turn into a bona fide difference maker in net more then me............but he's still got a lot to prove.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
yeah yeah...........................any of those guys track record is so superior to skinners at this point it's not even close.

Hey, no one wants skinner to turn into a bona fide difference maker in net more then me............but he's still got a lot to prove.
You are the eternal pessimist, JJ...

1719082322027.png

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Interesting line-up. Would rather have Byfield on the 4th line instead of Dubois. I don’t think Scheifele belongs on a best-on-best anymore, I’d rather take someone like Marchand or Verhaege over him.

I’d like to hear your case for leaving Robert Thomas off

His four playoff goals (ever) impress only his granny!

Hyman - McDavid - Point
Byfield - MacKinnon - Marner
Lafreniere - Crosby - Reinhart
Dubois - Suzuki - Bedard

Canada should use their advantage in heavier players with sense and skill. The "small" player quote is filled with Point, Marner and Bedard.

McTavish - Thomas - Barzal
Hagel - Horvat - Johnston

Last edited:

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Hyman is fine in a best-on-best, but unlike other posters, I do think he’s quite expendable. I think Brayden Point would work excellent with McDavid with them having chemistry from the 2015 WJC. Point has history of playing the RW, is more skilled and can match the speed of McDavid’s play, and has good edgework in the corners. He can also take face-offs if McDavid gets waved off. Point’s never been the type of player to drive the play on his line, Kucherov has historically driven play in Tampa, but he’s an excellent star player to put alongside a McDavid.

I don't see any reason why both Point and Hyman can't play alongside McDavid...it would actually be a well-configured line. Point can provide the high-end skill like you mentioned, and Hyman can provide the board/corner work and net-front presence (and can play either wing). Personally, I think you need both elements to get the most out of McDavid.

For the 4 Nations Cup I'd line up Hyman and Point alongside McDavid. Then for the 2026 Olympics I'd pencil-in Bedard on his right side and see where Hyman is at with his level of play. If he's lost a step, which is certainly a possibility, maybe look at someone like McTavish or Byfield that can provide a power element on the other wing.

I don't like how the play of both Verhaeghe and Reinhart has fallen off during this Oilers comeback. Verhaeghe has made some nice plays here and there, but has been a lot more tentative in the o-zone and passing up or taking too much time on some good looks. I don't think Reinhart has had much of an impact this series either, tbh. Barkov has really been the only Florida star forward pulling his weight, aside from the 3rd line guys who have been pretty good. I don't think it necessarily says a lot about their chances of making a best-on-best team (I think Reinhart is likely to make the 4 Nations team based on his defensive play at the wing position, Verhaeghe is likely on the bubble), but a good Cup final could have really cemented their positions imo. We'll see how tonight goes.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I get this is a 2026 projection but at this point in time Hyman is basically a lock to play beside McDavid. Not only did he have an amazing year, but they have great chemistry. If the Kunitz/Crosby combo tells me anything it's that chemistry will be a strong factor in the roster decisions like this.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
A buddy of mine and I did a mock list of the 2026 Canadian Olympic team. I will say one thing, when Canada had 50-60% of the NHLers instead of, say, 40-45% they do in 2024 the names rolled off of your tongue a little easier. But we still put together a pretty good team for Canada in 2026:

Hyman-McDavid-Marner
Byfield-MacKinnon-Point
Reinhart-Bedard-Stamkos
Marchand-Crosby-Stone
Suzuki/Barzal

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Bouchard
Dobson-Power

Hill
Jarry
Binnington/Skinner
(Hart, we'll see how things work out for him)

The names aren't really up for debate so much, we all do this on other threads, but it is just a bit of a base for you to see. Things can change, Lafreniere could really bust out, as could another draftee from 2020-'23 like Fantilli or so other names. To be honest there are a lot coming up the pipe right now where we are in a bit of a transition seeing some of the old guard leaving. It is hard to imagine some of them Olympians today, but in 2 years I think so.

But we both sort of felt that perhaps 10, 15, 20 years ago the names would have come easier for us to think about. You look at the defense of the 2002 team and it is incredible. 2010 had a wicked defense, 2014 did, 2016 did. Players like Letang never got on these teams. Even in net when Roy backed out in 2002 we had Brodeur, Joseph and Belfour. No problems there. Also there were legit guys like Burke, Potvin, Luongo, Theodore, Turco and even Osgood who could have easily been a legit 3rd stringer.

Now, with all of that being said, once we started comparing the Canadian roster to the ones of other countries there was a lot more optimism. Sweden, Czech and Finland all have plenty of holes in their rosters and don't have the star power or depth of Canada. Russia I personally hope is back to playing as it is not the same without them, but as usual their defense is suspect at best, and I was surprised that their forwards weren't as dangerous of a group as I thought they might be. As for goaltending, no contest for them. They beat any other country hands down with this. Vasi, Shesterkin and Bobrovsky are better than any of our best. But the team in front of them wouldn't be able to handle Canada's firepower.

That leaves the U.S. team, and a team that I will admit is closing the gap. The Americans' goalies trump ours. But our forwards are deeper and definitely have more high end to them. Imagine having McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard and even Crosby as the lines you can roll down the middle. Imagine not finding room for Scheifele (although he could make it), Marchand (perhaps) and others. Marchand could be too old by then and not able to keep up, but there are plenty coming down the pipe that are replacing him. Even the defense, I think we have the best defense out of anyone, even the U.S. I think it relies heavily on Makar for instance and we don't have another guy like him, but who does? I like Quinn Hughes on the U.S. but I still take Makar.

Bottom line what I am saying is we as Canadians get this feeling that things are over for us. I don't know why, but we always do. And yet every other country would kill to have that roster and would freak out to be playing against that group of forwards and mobile defense on the back end. All of our goalies are good capable goalies, maybe not Vezina winners, but there won't be a shortage of at least good goalies to choose from. That's all we need.

The 2023 draft was Canadian-laden, the 2024 draft especially in the 1st round is at least half Canadians, and the 2020-'23 drafts have been loaded with talent that will be on these teams. Players we aren't thinking about yet too.

So do we get paranoid in Canada over this stuff too much? Not that we can't improve our program or anything but do we worry about it too much? I can already name for sure at least 10 players on that Canadian team destined for the Hall of Fame.

You’re on fentanyl if you think Carter Hart will ever represent Canada again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad